choosing an affordable latex hybrid

I’ve been lurking on this forum for a while and finally thought I’d reach out now that I am obsessed with mattresses and foam :slight_smile: I’m looking to finally replace our 14-year-old spring pillowtop Sears mattress… as you can imagine, the pillowtop is flat and I greet each day with a back ache.

I’ve decided that a latex/poly foam hybrid would be our best option. I’ve always liked foam mattresses, but I don’t like the slow recovery of memory foam. I think talalay is my preference for the softness and springy-ness, but I’m on a budget and therefore flexible. My partner and I are both side sleepers. He is 132 lbs and I am 134 lbs (we’re both about 5’10")… He doesn’t care about comfort, while I’m a bit of a “princess and the pea” type :slight_smile:

My budget is no more than $500-600. Also, I am in Canada, so that’s about $750 here! I am focusing mainly on places in Canada with free delivery or that I can pick up.

If anyone has any opinions about what seems to be longer lasting, better quality, and more comfortable, I would be most thankful!

I’ve tried to collect the most specs I could. Many of the links are from Wayfair because of free shipping… there don’t seem to be any similar places for Canada for cheap mattresses.

Here are a few contenders (prices are for a queen):

Ikea Matrand Latex
$399usd / $449cad
5" of synthetic dunlop latex + 2" of 1.7 lb polyfoam
Tried this in the store a few times… one time the floor model was suuuuper mushy with noo edge support and another time it was firmer.

GoodSleep Oasis
$590cad (at Wayfair.ca)
2" talalay latex on 8" of “durable high-density performance™ foam” (1.8 lb)
(I wrote the company, DreamEasy, for the foam density and they wrote back right away). They are located in Ontario, foam and mattresses made in Canada.

Madison Home 13" latex mattress
$527cad (at Wayfair.ca)
4" inches of latex, 4" inches of memory foam, and 5" inches of comfort foam (I imagine this is HD polyfoam)

On Wayfair, there are also Lucid, Eco-Lux and Wolf hybrid latex mattresses… . if anyone has an opinion or info on these, I’m all ears! Very little infor on foam density or type of latex,

Brooklyn Bedding DreamFoam latex mattressess also look appealing, but they are $900-$1000 Canadian, at least on Wayfair, which is more than I’d like to spend.

Thanks!!

Hi cat_nap,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Well, if you’re obsessed, you’re in good company here! :lol:

[quote]I’ve decided that a latex/poly foam hybrid would be our best option. I’ve always liked foam mattresses, but I don’t like the slow recovery of memory foam. I think talalay is my preference for the softness and springy-ness, but I’m on a budget and therefore flexible.
My budget is no more than $500-600. Also, I am in Canada, so that’s about $750 here! I am focusing mainly on places in Canada with free delivery or that I can pick up.[/quote]
Mattresses with a higher density polyfoam core with either latex or some of the newer-generation ultra high density polyfoams for the comfort layers would be your best bets for that request.

Just in case you haven’t found it already, the durability guidelines listed here can provide you guidance regarding foam quality.

[quote]Ikea Matrand Latex
$399usd / $449cad
5" of synthetic dunlop latex + 2" of 1.7 lb polyfoam
Tried this in the store a few times… one time the floor model was suuuuper mushy with noo edge support and another time it was firmer.[/quote]
While the Dunlop latex would be a better quality material, and the polyfoam would be “on the edge” of being better quality, I have received feedback recently on the inconsistency and poor quality of assembly of many Ikea mattresses. I think you may have run into a bit of this when you tested this item.

[quote]GoodSleep Oasis
$590cad (at Wayfair.ca )
2" talalay latex on 8" of “durable high-density performance™ foam” (1.8 lb)
(I wrote the company, DreamEasy , for the foam density and they wrote back right away). They are located in Ontario, foam and mattresses made in Canada.[/quote]
Foamco (Dreameasy) is indeed a Canadian product. This item uses good quality and durable materials and would be suitable for most people, with my caution being for those in a higher (200 pounds or so) weight range, which neither of you are. Also, being produced and assembled in Canada, you might personally feel better about the product.

[quote]Madison Home 13" latex mattress
$527cad (at Wayfair.ca )
4" inches of latex, 4" inches of memory foam, and 5" inches of comfort foam (I imagine this is HD polyfoam)[/quote]
While the latex would certainly be a durable material, you are correct that there is no other information listed about this product. Additionally, this is from China, and I would read post #6 here about mattresses imported from Asia or China and which may have been compressed for long periods of time in either shipping or storage before being purchased. Being sourced in China would make this somewhat of a risky purchase IMO.

There is no meaningful information about the foam layers of the brands you listed, so you would of course need to find out that information before making an informed decision. Both Lucid and Eco-Lux are Chinese companies, so you can refer to my earlier link about my concerns with such products. A forum search on Lucid (you can just click the link) will also bring up more comments and feedback about them as well. Lucid mattresses tend to use low quality memory foam (3 lb density or less) which would be a weak link in the mattress in terms of durability and they generally aren’t a mattress that I would consider. The Eco-Lux (Boyd) mattresses have had a history in the past of being a little “free” with their foam descriptions, terming a polyurethane foam they’ve used as “engineered latex”. You didn’t mention a specific Eco-Lux model (and some say they are using 100% natural latex), but I would advise caution with this brand based upon their past reputation and country of origin.

The Wolf mattresses are made in Fort Wayne, Indiana. They have a long history and it may be worth your time to contact them directly at their factory to ask for more details about any of their mattresses that you are considering.

As you are on a more restricted budget, then post #4 here and the posts it links to also include many of the better lower budget online options I’m aware of as well. Many of these ship to Canada.

There is also a list of online mattress sources for Canadians in post #21 here. Some of these items will be out of your budget range, but at least it gives you a few other avenues to pursue.

I hope that helps out a bit.

Phoenix