Choosing between two latex mattresses

Hi, I have been doing some research online and trying to choose a good latex mattress that will give me good back support, but still give pressure relief. I have some back issues and fibromyalgia. I have narrowed it down to Cosy Pure and WJ Southard. I think I’m leaning toward Cosy Pure, but I was wondering if there was anything to recommend one over the other? I was also wondering if I do go with the Cosy Pure can you put a mattress topper over the zoned latex mattresses? I have a three inch 19 ILD Talalay topper that I’d hate to just throw out if I can still make use of it. Thanks

Hi Suncat,

Post #13 here has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase that can help you choose between your finalists but it boils down to which one is the most suitable for you in terms of PPP, any differences in the quality of the materials that can affect durability, and then all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

I don’t know which specific mattresses you are considering or the specifics of the materials inside them (see this article) … but both manufacturers use high quality materials in all their mattress and neither one has any weak links in the materials or design.

When you are down to finalists that are choices between “good and good” and there are no clear winners between them based on suitability, durability, and the price and options you have after a purchase along with all the other parts of your personal value equation that are important to you … then you are in the fortunate position that neither one would be a mistake and a final choice (see post #2 here) would really a matter of “best judgement” or which one you find yourself leaning towards.

You can use a topper on any mattress that is too firm but if you add a topper to a mattress that is already a good match for you in terms of PPP then you may end up with comfort layers that are too thick/soft for you and this can increase your risk of alignment issues when you sleep on the mattress and topper combination. Generally a topper is best used with a mattress that needs additional softness and pressure relief.

You could purposely choose a mattress that was too firm so that the topper would give it enough additional softness make it a suitable combination for you in terms of PPP but this would be very risky unless you can test the combination together before you purchase the mattress because you can’t really know whether a topper will be the right thickness and firmness for the specific mattress that you purchase until you sleep on it and if it isn’t then you may be in the unfortunate position of having to decide what to do because you would either need to find another topper that was a good match with your mattress or find another mattress that was a good match with your topper.

Phoenix