choosing Ultimate Dreams; Dreamfoam mattress firmness level?

Hi megachirops.

Thanks for that recommendation. But, alas, we’re getting a queen. Someday we will have room for a king in our small apartment, but today is not that day! It sounds like a smart option though, and I’m glad to hear that you all are enjoying your new mattress.

Savasana

Hi Savasana,

It always amazes me how they are willing to make “fine tuning” adjustments in the quilting in between their latex firmness options. While latex and low density memory foam would be very different in terms of how much they would isolate you from the support layers underneath them (you would “go through” the memory foam much more easily even than softer latex) … what Chuck is suggesting seems like a good option “in between” the 28 and 32.

You are right that the thicker the mattress (and the less flexible and elastic the materials in the mattress are) the less you would notice the tension adjustments. I haven’t used the Ikea bases specifically so I don’t know the range of adjustments possible from personal experience … but I would think that at 10" you would still be able to notice a difference yes.

Phoenix

Yes, I’m excited to get the new bed. I really appreciate your input!

Hi Savasana,

I’m assuming your excitement means that you have ordered it in which case congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it and have had a chance to sleep on it!

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I found this forum when I am searching for reviews of dreamfoam bedding.
I am learning a lot!Thanks for all the information!
After reading the posts I have decided to order one of their mattresses.

I do have two questions that i haven’t found the answers yet. I hope you could kindly give me some hint.

Would you recommend a box or platform bed for the mattress? Would there be some good options online? (I live in Atlanta, and I am looking for a queen size.)

I saw they also offer a “natural latex” version for 800 dollars queen size. (Amazon.com) Does any member have experience with that? Would there be much difference in the feel and support?

Thanks a lot in advance!

And Savasana,

Thanks for starting the post! Hope you enjoy your new mattress!

Hi agentwhy,

Thje choice between a box spring and frame or a platform bed would be a personal preference (they could both work fine).

The foundation thread here has much more information and some good options listed.

Yes. Dunlop latex is a denser material and has a different feel from talalay. It is denser, less “springy”, and has a higher compression modulus (gets firmer faster) than Talalay in an equivalent ILD (softness/firmness level). There is more information in this article about the differences between them. They are both high quality and comparable value materials … just different in feel and performance. The other difference in the mattress is that it has a more expensive and higher quality bamboo/wool quilted cover which would have better temperature regulation and humidity control.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks a lot for the nice explanation!
I will do some research on your other articles. Guess I will gain more knowledge today.

Best,

agentwhy

Thank you for asking about the firmness levels for the dreamfoam mattress. My husband and I just placed our order for our queen sized mattress and we are very unsure about the level we should choose. Although, we are currently sleeping on our camping mattress, so anything would be better, right?

Follow-up: Just spoke again with Chuck and we decided to go with the #4. He said it should ship out this week!

Nice! That’s the same one we chose. Congrats on your upgrade from the camping mattress!

Hi LissaNY,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks everyone for the info on firmness… I’m just getting ready to purchase this mattress (thanks to all the good info on this site:) ), but was really unsure about firmness to order. I’ll check back in after i talk to Chuck and get the mattress!

We too are trying to decide on the firmness level. We went to the Original Mattress Factory and liked the Latex Supreme which had a 32 ILD 6" core and a layer of 16 ILD glued to the core.
Given the mattress we like, what firmness level should we choose?

Data point, I am 6’6" and 240# , my wife is 5’11" and 135#.
We are both side sleepers.

Hi Hiflya,

The best and most accurate suggestions will always come from the manufacturer themselves. Every layer of a sleeping system interacts and affects every other layer and they know the specifics of every layer of their mattress and their customer database also gives them much more accurate reference points about how their mattress interacts with different body types and sleeping positions than any general guidelines I could provide.

They would also be in a better position to “translate” the many differences between the OMF latex supreme and their mattress. As you mentioned, the OMF Supreme uses a 6" layer of 32 ILD Talalay latex for the base (and different base layers will affect the performance and feel of the comfort layers). It also has a comfort layer of 1.5" of latex in the range of 19 ILD (perhaps very slightly firmer) and since layer thickness and layer firmness work together to create softness, there is a big difference here between the thickness of the latex comfort layer in the OMF and the Ultimate Dreams (which uses 3" of latex). The thickness of the quilting layers are also different (the OMF has 1" of quilting foam over the latex and the Ultimate Dreams has 1.5") and the OMF is also on an active boxspring which will make it feel softer than if it was supported by a firm foundation … especially for heavier weights.

All of these many differences would affect the comparative feel and performance of each mattress. Having said all that though … the OMF is fairly soft (the combination of the “medium” support core and the ILD of the comfort layer and the polyfoam quilting and the active innerspring) and while this may work well for your wife who is tall and slim and much lighter weight … it could easily be too soft for best alignment for you and Chuck would probably suggest a comfort layer much firmer than the OMF to accommodate your higher weight and also to “translate” the differences between the mattresses.

If you are ordering a King Size … then you could also choose a different firmness level on each side of the mattress which may be a good option (if possible) instead of a “compromise” between two weights and body shapes that are so different.

So I would “report” your experiences and preferences with OMF (and any other mattresses) to Chuck when you talk with him and use your experience and the guidelines that Chuck suggests that would also take your higher weight and weight differential into account as the basis for your choice.

Phoenix

Fantastic answer - thanks.
I sent Chuck an e-mail and will report back.

Hi Hiflya,

Just a word of caution that an email is not a very effective way of exchanging the more complex type of information you may need to both receive and provide to make your best decision or for them to help you most effectively.

Unless you know for certain that what you are asking has no “variables” and has a “black and white” one sentence answer that covers all possible variations of an answer … dealing with a manufacturer through emails will usually result in long and complex exchanges (each question you ask may lead to more clarifying questions that need to be asked first than you may suspect) and it can end up taking weeks to cover what a conversation can do in half an hour or even much less.

I would strongly recommend that except for the most basic and simplest of questions, that you always deal with a manufacturer on the phone.

Phoenix

Hello all,
I just ordered my Ultimate Dreams Eurotop latex mattress in a 7 comfort level. My fingers are crossed that it’s just the right combination of softness and support. I was totally stuck between ordering a 6 or a 7. The only reason I went with the Europtop version of this mattress is because it affords one the opportunity to exchange the 3" latex layer if need be. I’ll post an update after I actually receive the mattress.

After a lot of debating and going back and forth with myself, I went with the firmness level 3. We wanted a firm mattress since our current “W” mattress has been sagging a lot and giving me backaches. We figure we can always add a topper to make it more comfortable if its too hard. went with my wife to sears just to see if there is something comparable. they had the icomfort mattresses and we preferred the firmest they had on display. crazy how their pricing is for mattresses, saw one for $4800 on sale for $1600! what a bargain :slight_smile:

Ultimate Dreams for $600, looking forward to getting it.

Thank you everyone for the great info.

Hi cardkid and Tyson,

Congratulations to both of you on your new mattresses :slight_smile:

I hope you both have the chance to “report back” on your experiences when you’ve had the chance to sleep on them.

Phoenix

Hi all.
I just ordered a king size Ultimate Dreams mattess but I am still debating on the firmness level.
I am 5’8’’ 130# and my wife is 5’3’’ 175#. We sleep on an old sagged spring mattress with a pillowtop.
We hate it. We liked better the American Signature very basic mattress. We never tried a memory foam mattress,
but we definately do not like our too soft and sagged mattress. I can say that we like more firm than soft mattress.
We are side sleepers. My concern is getting too firm mattress (or too soft; being side sleepers). I think firmness 4-6 will be best (32-28). Chuck recomended level 4 because we like more firm than soft.
So please help me decide on the firmness :unsure:
Did any of you get level 4 or level 6? How does it feel?
I know that there is also level 5 that is the same firmness like 4 but with a softer top, which feels (I was told) closer to 4 than 6.
Please help!