Christeli Lux Estate

This will be my third night on the Lux Estate. This is their model which most closely resembles the Tempurpedic Grand bed. I will write a full review once I have had more time on it, I feel it would be unfair to do so now. First impression is it is too firm for me. It is 6pd foam on top supported by 5.3 pd foam and then a latex base. The craftsmanship is top notch, both the materials and the stitching. Much better than the picture of the Grandis bed. If Selectfoam usually does a better job than the bed in their picture then they need to replace the pictures on their website. I bought a very thin cover from Christeli. It feels like the allogenic cover but I was surprised it didn’t zip and enclose the whole mattress, instead it attaches like a mattress pad. I used a high quality bamboo mattress pad on top of it for the first 2 night and had some cramping in my middle back this morning. I’ve taken the mattress pad off to see if that helps. I did call Christeli to find out exactly what their exchange terms are, you can exchange it between 30 days and 40 days. I’m thinking I might prefer the Grand Palais which is also similar to the Grand bed but a little softer. One thing I noticed is the 6pd foam on top does not feel anything like the Tempurpedic Tempur HD 7pd foam. I found that a little disappointing because I like that feel a lot but I’m not sure if it actually contributes in anyway to comfort. Christeli has suggested taking the mattress off and walking around on it to help it break in. I’m a little hesitant to do that because while I am sure it will make it softer it may also dramatically lower lifespan.

P.S. Disregard comments about feel above, we had the base on top! :whistle: I will review the feel below after it is setup correctly.

Hi gcrain,

Thanks for the initial feedback about your new mattress … I appreciate it.

This is the most common type of mattress protector and a mattress encasement isn’t usually necessary unless you have significant allergies to dust mites. It will protect your mattress against the body fluids that we all release each night as well as stains (which can void a warranty) and accidents and because it can be easily removed and washed it will do a much better job of keeping your sleeping surface in a clean and hygienic condition than a mattress encasement which isn’t meant to be removed on a regular basis.

Removing your mattress pad is a good idea because memory foam is temperature sensitive and needs body heat to soften when you lie on it and a mattress pad will affect the amount of body heat that reaches the memory foam and can reduce or slow down the ability of the memory foam to soften and contour to your body and can make it feel firmer.

There will always be an initial break in and adjustment period with any new mattress as the cover stretches and loosens a bit and the foam layers lose any of their “false firmness” and your body will also need to get used to a sleeping surface that is different from what it is used to. I would generally wait for a few weeks before considering any changes to your mattress (which is the reason for the 30 days before you can exchange a mattress) because it can be surprising how much your experience changes over the course of the first few weeks of owning a mattress. Don’t forget that the mattress you tested in the store would have already been broken in so it would feel softer than it did when it was new.

In the meantime there are some suggestions that may help in post #2 here and one of them is walking on your mattress which can speed up the break in period and is actually a good suggestion that won’t harm the mattress or affect its durability.

Phoenix

My bed was manufactured on site after I ordered it and was shipped within 5 days. It got here in one day but because of the weekend I had to wait until Monday to get it. The boxes looked like they had made several trips around the globe but no damage done to the bed. The top layer has some of the feel of Tempur HD but I’d say only about 25%. Their foundation was a bargain. It’s much better than other foundations I’ve seen and I would highly recommend it even if you are buying your mattress from somebody else.

The mattress again felt too hard and I had more mid back cramps with the bamboo mattress pad off. It’s going to be tough to make it to the exchange period at this rate. We are space challenged so I’m not sure if we can make room to put a king size mattress on the floor and walk on it but I will try to find a way to do that.

OK, disregard my previous comments about the feel.

The base and mattress are backwards, I’ve been sleeping on the base! :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

I will update this thread once I undo my buffoonery.

Hi gcrain,

Oops … it’s easy to do :slight_smile:

Sleeping on a firmer latex support core would certainly be much different than sleeping on the memory foam comfort layers.

I’m looking forward to your feedback on your “new and improved upside down but right way up” mattress.

Phoenix

OK, the correct initial feel after getting it set up right.

Luxurious - I love the feel of the 6pd foam. Very similar to the Tempur HD but just a tad softer.

I am a bit surprised it was so awful with the base on top since the base is suppose to be made out of Latex.

The Lux Estate has 2" of 6 pd foam which is why I picked it over the Palais Grand Royale which has 1"

The Palais Grand Royale has an extra layer of 3" 5 pd memory foam and I would have picked it if the 6pd layer was the same thickness.

Hi gcrain,

That’s sounding much better already :slight_smile:

Firm latex that is suitable for a support core isn’t particularly comfortable for most people to sleep on directly (unless they are much heavier or back or stomach sleepers) and most people would have a strong preference for a softer latex comfort layer.

Phoenix

Much better last night. I loved how it conformed to my body really well. I’m still considering trading for the slightly plusher Palais Grand Royale. Or possibly keep the Lux Estate for the extra 1" 6pd foam and add an extra layer of 3" 5pd foam like the Palais Grand Royale.

Really happy with it since correcting the setup. We slept really well last night. We both have a nagging question if the plusher Palais Grand Royale would be even better. On the one hand I don’t want to mess with a good thing but it would be wonderful if it were slightly softer and we still got the correct alignment. The price difference is negligible.

I can heartily recommend this bed now. It is worth every penny and the fast construction and shipping is the best I have heard of.

Hi gcrain,

That’s great to hear that things are working much better for you :slight_smile:

I would wait for a little longer for the mattress to break in and for you to adjust to the feel of a new mattress a little more before considering any changes so but if I was in your shoes and I was sleeping well on a mattress I would be hesitant to “fix” something that isn’t broken.

I think that the main benefit of the Palais Grand Royale would be that you have multiple configurations that you can use to change the feel and firmness of your mattress but if the default configuration was the best for you (which would be the closest to your current mattress) then the other options you have would have little benefit.

The other risk would be that the Palais Grand Royale may be less suitable for you and if you did the exchange then you wouldn’t be able to exchange your mattress back again.

Phoenix

Hi Gcrain,
I’ve been very interested in this particular mattress and was hoping you had a recent update on the lux by Christeli. We appreciate you feedback and hope to hear from you soon.
Thank you, MAC

Hi MAC,

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be helpful … I would be very cautious about about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here).

The description of the Luxe Estate mentions that it is designed to approximate the Tempurpedic Grand Bed (although it uses higher quality materials than the Grand Bed overall) so you should be able to get some sense of the firmness and “feel” of the Lux Estate by testing the Tempurpedic Grand Bed locally.

When you can’t test a mattress in person though … then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix, I with definitely thread softly when it comes to other members reviews / experiences.