Christeli vs Dreamfoam memory foam mattress

Hi, they recently changed the name to Christeli apparently due to some pressure from like sounding competitors but the warranty’s and everything stays the same the new name for the Wellington is Tiffany.
I have been sleeping on this mattress for about a month now and find it very comfortable, it has not cured my insomnia but no mattress can do that but once I fall asleep I do sleep sounder and longer.
Some of the things that stand out for me is that the edge on the bottom or support section of the mattress has a wrap around it that helps support the edge so when you lay on the edge it does not fold down like some memory foam mattress do.
Also the memory foam molds to your pressure points but you do not sink in where you cant roll over or move around. I do have a protector on it and that may be making it a little firmer.
Overall I have found it to be a good high quality product and is holding up well so far and I weigh 225" and am 5’11" tall.
I guess a good question is would I buy this mattress again knowing what I know and the answer is yes I would.
If anyone has questions I would be happy to share what I have learned including the research I did.

Hi triton0226,

Thanks for the update on your mattress and your ongoing feedback … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

I also noticed that they had changed their name for the reasons you mentioned (and they were asking for feedback before about name suggestions) but the old site forwards to the new one so the transition is seamless.

They are certainly a good quality/value memory foam option and once I have a chance to talk with them again I will likely add them to the list of the better memory foam options in post #12 here.

Phoenix

triton0226, thanks again for the update and explanation! Very helpful. I have a call in to Christeli to ask them about the firmness of their various models (I took Phoenix’s good advice and stopped by a mattress store to try the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe last night, and it’s definitely too soft for my tastes).

I also heard back from Chuck at Brooklyn Bedding in response to a question I’d sent him about the Dreamfoam, and now I’m considering a latex mattress. Which made me wonder, Phoenix – what kind of mattress do you sleep on? I know it’s a matter of personal preference, body style, etc. (and I have read through your guidelines), but I am interested in your personal take on the whole memory foam vs. latex debate. (If you’re willing to give it! :slight_smile:

Hi stcfan,

I don’t mind at all and it’s been asked fairly frequently.

You can see the description and a picture here.

Phoenix

Nice! Thanks for sharing. I do think I’m going with the latex mattress from BB … uniformly great reviews on Amazon, plus the ability to change things out if I get the firmness wrong (and the info I’ve gotten here!) have convinced me. Thanks again for your help, and for this site.

triton0226,
Would you mind telling me what you think about the Tiffany by Christeli since it sounds like you’ve completed your 30 day trial at this point? I’m seriously considering a Christeli, but would love an experienced review. Thanks!

Glad to share my opinion.
So far I am still very pleased with the product. one of the complaints that you see out there is on side support and that has not been an issue on the Tiffany due to the way they build it. I also like that the mattress comes in 2 separate pieces so it makes it easier to rotate it from time to time and to install it. I also believe that the cover is of better quality then most and appears more durable.
Still holding up good with no sagging or any of those issues and with the quality and density of the foam I would expect it to stay that way.
yes I would choose it again with what I know now.
Watch for the sales for they do save money on this quality product and if you are a senior you may be able to get 5% off, I did.
Hope this helps and if you purchase please share.

Dear Triton0226,

Thanks for sharing your findings. I have been shopping and educating myself for the last 2 weeks. My husband and I have been sleeping on a Tempurpedic for the last 10 years and for the last 6 months, we’ve both been waking up worst off than when we went to bed. We of course attributed this to our getting older (63 and 72), and after spending lots of money on Chiropractors and Accupunctors, we came to the conclusion that our mattresses were the culprits since we both noticed that they’re not as supportive as they used to be 10 years ago. Kind of very desappointing considering the high price we paid for them (2 XL twins).

So, after looking at replacing our tempurpedic mattresses only (we’re keeping our original adjustable base), I was flabbergasted by the prices and all the new additives they’re now using such as cooling gel, innersprings integration, etc. Looked at the Sertas, Simmons, Seallys and their equivalent foam mattresses and got more confused as to what the best value for the money would be. Last nite I came upon Christeli’s website and was really, really impressed by the construction and knowledge of their telephone technicians. I finally purchased their Astoria 11.5" model, which resemble your description of the Tiffany.

I did not see the Tiffany model you purchased. After reading your detailed review, I am pleased that my instinct and basic newly acquired knowledge, I was reassured in my decision making in going with this company.

Thank you again for your help and I will be posting my feedback after using it for 30 days. Hopefully, this will be hopefully our last mattress purchase.

Here is an update on my mattress.
The mattress I bought is now called Briella, for some reason they change the names from time to time.
After over a year the mattress is still holding up very well with no sagging anywhere, the sides are still firm and do not collapse when getting in and out or if you sleep on the very edge as I do due to my dogs claiming the other 80% of the mattress!
I still feel like this is a quality product with great customer service, they have even been in touch with me to be sure I was still happy!
I have also bought one of their mattress for my motorhome about a year ago and bought the Versailles in a queen short and it has been great also.
It to has good side support but is a 10" mattress so does not have the softer feel of my Briella that is 13.5".
Same quality but a little firmer so I put a good mattress pad on it and now its just what I needed.
I would have bought another Briella but did not want the extra height or weight in the RV…
So to summarize I am still very pleased with both of the Christeli mattresses and would definitively recommend them and more importantly buy their product again!

Hi triton0226,

Thanks for sharing your 1+ year update!

It rather unusual that someone takes the time to come back and let us know how their mattress is working out after a year or longer … and I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Glad I found this thread…

I’ve been going back and forth between a Temurpedic or a Christeli. I did find an exceptional deal on the Tempurpedic, but it’s still $1000 more. so I continue to read and debate… I’ve had a Tempupedic Classic that I bought in 2001, which I like some of the time, but I made a huge mistake and bought a split cal-king back in 2001. I’m a back sleeper and often times I end up on, or near the crack and my I have a compressed vertebra and it slips out…making the next day a tender affair. Now it’s time to right that wrong! BTW, heed my warning. Foam mattresses have “edge roll off” turning what you think will be an unnoticeable line into an unavoidable canyon.

My dilemma: t’s very hard to buy a bed without trying it, that being said I know I like the Tempurpedic Cloud Elite. I’ve tried some other off brand memory foam beds (Stress-o-pedic, Therapedic, etc), and tho they feel good, there still seems to be something better about the Tempurpedic. I guess it feels more “solid”. One store told me that they have a patent on their technology. Is that true?

While Christeli has very slick marketing, and seemingly great reviews, reviews are a pretty easy thing to fake. (I know someone who was sued for writing a bad review on Yelp) Does anyone else have any thoughts on my dilemma? Should I just bite the bullet and get the Tempurpedic? Can a Christeli bad as good or even better?

Thanks!

I to would look forward to other opinions and you are correct on reviews but I assure you mine is a honest personal experience,
As far as who makes the best mattress I think in the end its a persons own experience as we are all different.
I have never owned a Tempur-Pedic but have been on them in stores, I do own 2 Christeli’ mattresses and like them both.
One of the things that does stand out for me is the side support that they have, my 2 Cocker Spaniels dogs only allow me the sleep on the edge of the mattress and I am a side sleeper and it does not cave in, I am 5’11" and weigh 235 pnd.
The Christeli does not sink in as much as the Tempur-Pedic in my opinion and my 13.5" mattress at home is softer then the 10" in my motorhome.
Also customer service at Christeli is excellent and if you call them you will find them very informative.
I personally would not pay what the Tempur-Pedic cost .
I hope this helps provide more info but in the end it is whatever works best for you, I would talk to both companies and compare the info and make your choice from that and your research.

Hi triton0226,

There is nothing about the Tempurpedic materials … patented or otherwise … that make them inherently better or worse than any other similar materials of the same quality/density although there are certainly differences between the properties of different types of memory foam made by different manufacturers that some people may prefer over others (see post #9 here and post #8 here).

There is more about the different ways to choose a mattress (online or locally) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of each of them in post #2 here and there is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between different mattresses.

It would be tough for most people to justify the cost of a Tempurpedic when there are so many other options available that use the same or even higher quality materials which is one of the reasons I would generally suggest avoiding them (see the guidelines here).

Phoenix

It has been awhile since you posted and I’m hoping you went with the Tempurpedic and not the Christeli.

We have had a horrible experience with Christeli and wish we had never purchased their top-of-the-line Palais Grand Royale bed. If you like sleeping on a slab of concrete then this bed is for you. We hate it. I have a very bad back and now I’m sleeping in my recliner until we can purchase a different bed.

Christeli was not helpful with returning or exchanging this bed. They were shocked and told me that no one has ever complained about this particular bed. I seriously doubt that statement.

We are now stuck with a $5000 useless mattress. And your comment about rolling off the edge is true with this bed. My husband gets up each morning with the top mattress off the foundation and he complains about “rolling” to the outside of the bed every night and feels he’s falling out of the bed.

:frowning: I would never recommend Christeli to anyone. Their “free trial” period is a joke.

Hi Scrapping Grammy,

I’m sorry to hear about your experience with Christeli and that the mattress you purchased didn’t work out for you as well as you hoped for.

As you probably know … “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) and the quality of the materials are completely different issues so while you certainly purchased a high quality/value mattress … it doesn’t seem to be the right “fit” for you (although it may be a “perfect” fit for someone else).

I’m somewhat confused though about the price of the mattress you purchased since Christeli doesn’t sell any mattresses that retail for $5000 that I’m aware of.

I can assure you that your mattress doesn’t feel anything like a “slab of concrete” (although I know you were exaggerating) but of course different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

I’m not sure when you purchased your mattress or what their policy was when you purchased it (Christeli has changed their exchange/return policy on a number of occasions) and they currently offer an exchange (not a return) but I don’t know why you would be having any difficulty exchanging your mattress if you need to. Are you past your trial period? Could you let us know what they are telling you or what you mean when you say they are “not helpful”. I suspect that there may be more to your story than you have posted here.

I would also keep in mind that here will be a break in and adjustment period for any new mattress or sleeping system as the mattress loses any of it’s “false firmness” and the cover stretches and loosens a little and the materials settle and your body gets used to a sleeping surface that is different from what it is used to (see post #3 here). This would typically be a few weeks but it can be shorter or longer depending on the specifics of the person and the mattress (higher density materials can take longer) and it can be surprising to many people how much their sleeping experience can change over the course of the first month or so.

Your mattress also has several options that allow you to customize the firmness of the mattress so it may be possible to arrange the layers and components in a way that would feel softer for you and they would be able to help you with this if you call them on the phone.

If your mattress is too firm then some of the suggestions in post #2 here and in post #2 here may also be helpful.

While it’s not possible to “diagnose” mattress comfort issues on a forum with any certainty because there are too many unique unknowns, variables, and complexities involved that can affect how each person sleeps on a mattress in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) or any “symptoms” they experience … there is more about the most common symptoms that people may experience when they sleep on a mattress and the most likely (although not the only) reasons for them in post #2 here that may be helpful as well.

Phoenix

Wow, I have had my Christeli now for almost 3 years so I may need to update my review since I am reading the latest post.
I have 2 Christeli mattresses, one is in my motorhome and the other is in my home,neither were top o f the line and both still serve me well!
In my case the edge support is great and I sleep right on the edge of the mattress with no problems.
The mattress in my motorhome is a bit firm but I knew that going in and have put a quality mattress pad on it and its fine and it sleeps good.
The one in the house is a 2 piece model and still holding up very well, the only thing that does bother me little is that I read in bed a lot and sit up n bed with my back against the wall, when I do that the top piece will move a little and after time its enough to sometimes pull the fitted sheet corner loose, not a big deal.
Neither mattress sleeps hot.
In closing I still like the Christeli mattress and still would not pay 4 or 5 times the price for some of the other ones out there for the name recognition.
My dealings with customer service has been excellent and have not had any negative experiences.
I hope this and my original review helps someone but do realize that my experience may be different from someone else.

Hi triton0226,

Thanks for taking the time to share an update with your comments and feedback … I appreciate it :).

Your experiences with Christeli would certainly be much more typical of the experiences of the large majority of their customers but I also suspect that there is more to the previous poster’s story than they have included in their comments.

Phoenix

I am so pleased that I’ve received replies on my comments. To answer the cost question, we purchased two twin xl Palais Grand Royale mattresses at $2399 each. That did not include the adjustable frames we also purchased. We also purchased a Madeline mattress and adjustable bed for my 82 year old mother. She loves hers and we’ve had no problems with that bed whatsoever.

We received our beds in November, 2015. We gave it three weeks to adjust and then started calling about how uncomfortably hard the mattresses were for us. Christeli did work with us on ways to arrange the three pieces so we could find some relief. They kept telling us to give it time. I called every week to ask for an exchange in mattresses until Feb. 25 when I was told there was nothing they could do. I was devastated because there went a huge chunk of money and I was not getting any relief from PPP on this set. Yes, the “slab of concrete” was metaphorically speaking, however, that is how firm this mattress was for me. I literally ached while trying to sleep on it. In fact, sleeping is something that wasn’t happening for me on this hard mattress.

Thankfully, just today, I received a call from Christeli telling me that they decided to send us the Madeline as a replacement for the problems we have been having with our Palais Grand Royale. Even though the Madeline is a lot less money than the one we now have, I am at the point that I just want a good night’s sleep and to stop sleeping in my recliner!!

I’m sure there are many people who will be totally satisfied with the bed we have and may not notice the firmness, actually incredibly firm mattress at all. I am, at this point, just thankful that Christeli stepped up to the plate and instead of doing nothing, did manage to do something.

The lesson I have learned from all of this is to go somewhere and physically try out the product before buying it sight unseen. I realize that we all need time to adjust to any new bed, but at least in a physical store one can get a better idea than sight unseen.

Now, my mother went to sleep the very day we set up the bed and she said it was the best night’s sleep she ever had. I would be inclined to agree that each person is different with the PPP value, but the same issue is something my husband had as well. He can fall asleep so easily and this bed kept even him awake! So, I know I wasn’t the only one thinking that the bed was just too hard for me. I am hoping that the arrival of our new mattresses will put all of this to rest…literally!

Hi Scrapping Grammy,

Thanks for adding the update with some additional information. While they certainly wouldn’t be obligated to do so … it’s good to see that Christeli went “above and beyond” and was able to help you on an “exception” basis even though you were several months outside of the trial and exchange period for your mattress.

Phoenix

The pic attached is my review of Christeli. I submitted it exactly as shown, and of course, they didn’t post it on their website. I wonder how many hundreds of reviews like mine have been submitted and blocked by Christeli?