Christeli vs Tempur pedic

So I’m torn between a Christeli Grand Palis (cannot try it as it is only online with no refund policy) or a Tempur pedic cloud supreme breeze. The Christeli is 3k and seems consutructed more like the 9k tempurpedic grand bed–but then again it’s easy to to make a website with pictures and good writing to sell something. The ONLY place that you can find Christeli reviews outside their own site (suspicious to me) is on this forum. Tried out the Tempurpedic at store and liked it but also saw reviews that said people hated it after a few months. I can get it on ebay for 2500 but no warranty. with warranty it is 3800 at store. so bascially 3800 with warranty for tempurpedic vs 3000 at christeli with no refund but only exchange. Am a side sleeper, 300lbs so looking for comfort and support. Also sleep hot. any advice is much appreciated.

Hi jgod2003,

It sounds like you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial but two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and value.

The process of looking for a mattress would involve the same steps in the tutorial for someone who is heavier as someone who is lighter but you will likely need firmer materials than average, possibly a thicker mattress, and you would need to put a greater emphasis on more durable materials as well. Post #3 here also has more information that would be helpful for those with larger or heavier body types.

The Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme Breeze has 2" of 4 lb memory foam and as you can see in the previous link I would tend to minimize the use of 4 lb memory foam in the top layers of a mattress for those who are in your weight range because it isn’t likely to hold up over time without softening and breaking down prematurely.

If you have done some local testing on the Tempurpedic mattresses (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the mattress shopping tutorial) and have confirmed that the Cloud Supreme Breeze is the best match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, PRessure relief, and PErsonal preferences) then the Christeli mattress that would be most closely comparable would be the Danieli which uses 5.3 lb memory foam and has a 2 lb polyfoam support core which would be more durable than 4 lb memory foam. The tutorial also includes a list of the better online memory foam options I’m aware of as well (in the optional online step) and many of these also make a mattress that is closely comparable to the Cloud Supreme Breeze in terms of firmness as well.

I would also be cautious about the softness of the mattress because the Cloud Supreme Breeze (or a mattress that approximates it) is a softer mattress which may be somewhat risky in terms of alignment for those who are in higher weight ranges so I would make sure you have done some very good testing and you are confident that it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP and will keep you in good alignment in all your sleeping positions.

I would also be very cautious about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on either in terms of suitability or durability (see post #13 here).

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of that are in your area as well.

Phoenix