Cirrus Supreme-ES 11" Queen Buying/Sleeping Experience

My new Cirrus Supreme-ES 11" Queen mattress arrived today. My buying experience was great but I was a little surprised when a week later I hadn’t received an email about the FedEx tracking info. I emailed twice with one response saying they’d get back to me and never did. I then telephoned, dialing the customer support extension which rang off the hook. I called again, this time selecting the sales extension. Juan immediately answered and told me he’d look into it, though was convinced I hadn’t gotten it because it hadn’t yet shipped. He checked, discovered it had, and shortly afterward I received an email.

The foundation arrived last week but I didn’t unpack it until today. The directions were pretty spare; not a problem for me, but for someone less handy assembly might be a bit challenging. I was VERY impressed that they included a nice quality 1/2 inch socket wrench, but I was dissatisfied with the quality of the foundation wood and workmanship. It was made from a grade 2 or 3 pine that was just a step up from a shipping pallet and some of the pieces shouldn’t have made it through quality control. They should have used Grade 1. Disappointing. Hopefully it will hold up.

The mattress itself inflated very quickly and looks great. SelectFoam’s website states that their mattress are “American-Made,” but the mattress tag says “Made in Canada.” Since Canada is part of North America, I guess technically it’s (North) American made.

I’ll follow-up in a few days on my sleeping experience.

Hi jisaacson,

Thanks for sharing your feedback … I appreciate it. I’m also looking forward to your feedback on the mattress as well once you’ve had the chance to sleep on it for a while.

I’m guessing that the cover was made in Canada because the mattresses themselves are made in the US.

Phoenix

Thanks for the clarification.

This is Part 2 of my thoughts and experiences after sleeping on a Select Foam Cirrus Supreme-ES 11" Queen mattress for almost a month.

I’m a middle aged man, 6’, 210 lbs. While I’m in pretty good health, our higher-end 13 year old Sealy Posturepedic coil mattress, which came with a 20 year warranty, had pretty much reached the end of the road because it was giving me pretty sever lower back strain. I needed to buy a new mattress, but which one? Thankfully, my brother has the Tempurpedic TEMPUR-Cloud Luxe, and last year I had the opportunity to house sit and to sleep on that mattress for a week. Great support with a very plush, ultra-soft, super-thick comfort layer. I loved it and wanted one. Sadly, after trying one at a Sleepy’s store, my wife (who’s 5’5’, 120 lbs) didn’t. She wasn’t happy about sinking deeply into the bed. She also sleeps hot on occasion and insisted on a bed that would allow her to sleep cool. We needed a compromise. After looking at Tempurpedic’s beds, we decided to try the TEMPUR-Cloud Supreme Breeze. Not as plush but with with a heat-transfer design and a moisture-wicking cover. Total retail cost, $3,200. The best sale at Sleepy’s (a floor model) would have run us $2,200. We didn’t want a floor model.

We realize that we spend a third of our lives sleeping, and that we shouldn’t compromise but we needed a more affordable alternative. After reading the May 2013 Consumer Reports (useless!) and doing some internet sleuthing looking for alternatives, we found Sleep Foam. What we like about the company is that it tries to match Tempurpedic’s construction, mattress for mattress, and tells perspective buyers which bed is a best match. It takes the guess work out of the equation, reducing the likelihood we’d want to return the bed. We liked that. We also liked their risk-free 90 night trial with free return shipping. We had nothing to lose.

It’s been three weeks. While I don’t get that weightless feeling I had on the TEMPUR-Cloud Luxe, I have to say, I am sleeping REALLY well. While the Cirrus Supreme-ES is sold as an 11-inch mattress, we measured it at 12-inches. We like that, too.

Here are our pros and cons.

Pros: 1) We sleep amazingly well. Our heads hit the pillow and we’re out in 5 minutes or less. If we need to get out of bed during the night, we experience no tossing or turning when we come back. We’re back asleep in seconds. 2) The bed does sleep cool. That said, we sometimes don’t and it has nothing to do with the bed. (We had the same problem with our old coil mattress.) The good news is that if we get out of bed for a bathroom run, by the time we climb back into bed, the heat is completely dissipated. I have not experienced any back pain or strain at all, no matter whether I am sleeping on my back or on my side. After the bed arrived, I visited my chiropractor for an adjustment. With the old coil and spring bed, the adjustment would last a day. It’s been three weeks and I haven’t needed another one yet!

Cons: 1) The mattress arrived without a packing slip and without a written warranty. I don’t know whether it was an oversight or whether that’s the way Select Foam ships. I’ll need to check on this (maybe Pheonix can shed some light on this). 2) The mattress doesn’t have hand holds on the sides. They would have come in handy when setting the bed up. They obviously aren’t required since the mattress doesn’t get flipped, though I would like to occasionally rotate it to help avoid uneven wear. On the other hand, it’s a minor thing and adding them would add to manufacturing costs that would have been passed on to us so we can live without them.

Two caveats, neither having to do with the quality/comfort of the mattress we bought.

First, I read with interest a small number of posts on Sleeplikethedead.com and other sites about mold/mildew issues occasionally forming on the underside of memory foam mattresses. I have no idea whether these stories are true or coming from folks with buyer’s remorse or from crazies. The reports were mainly from Tempurpedic and Costco buyers. Tempurpedic uses a solid mattress foundation and the only place for moisture to go is out the mattress sides. Supposedly, it’s because Tempurpedic’s foam base doesn’t allow airflow to penetrate through the bottom of the mattress anyway. That may also be the case with Select Foam mattresses since they try to mimic Tempurpedic’s designs. I really don’t know, but Select Foam uses a foundation with wood slats to allow for air flow.

I assumed the posts to be true for argument’s sake because we live in a seasonally humid climate and we do sometimes wake up in a cold sweat during the night. We didn’t want our perspiration to seep down into the mattress where it could create an environment for mold/mildrew. So, we bought a “Protect-A-Bed Complete Mattress Allergy & Bed Bug” cover set from Costco (though we don’t worry about bedbugs, it also protects against dust mites-- they are a concern because of my allergies though supposedly the dust mites aren’t able live in memory foam. (Yeah, right, and white tail deer aren’t supposed to eat our “deer proof” shrubs but they do anyway.) It’s a breathable cover that is moisture/water “proof” (though I cannot figure out how something that thin can breath and be waterproof at the same time). It doesn’t create any noise issues (crunching plastic type sounds) either. We’re happy with it though we also covered over it with a regular mattress pad.

The second isn’t really a caveat as much as an observation. You know those old TV ads showing wine glasses on one side of a memory foam mattress and a bowling ball getting dropped on the other and the glasses don’t move? I’d like to see that same trick done with fitted sheets! They act a bit like a drumhead, so while the bed definitely doesn’t bounce like a coil mattress atop a box spring, my wife can still slightly feel me getting into bed.

So far, I would recommend Select Foam and the Cirrus Supreme-ES 11" Queen mattress. I will update my review from time-to-time.

Hi jisaacson,

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review and sharing your thoughts and insights about your Select Foam purchase. I appreciate it :slight_smile:

This is the usual case. They have told me that the mattress ships in a box that includes the name of the mattress and the warranty is on their site here and can be printed but I think it would be a good idea to include both the warranty and a packing slip that showed the details of the purchase in the shipment itself and I think that Peter from their customer service has suggested they do this as well.

I have seen the same reports (and believe that there are some people who experience this) and it appears to be more common with Sealy or Tempurpedic mattresses. It could be connected to the type of foundation they use or with the manufacturing or with the formulation of the foam and the antibacterial chemicals they use. It’s one of the reasons that I suggest a slatted foundation is a “safer” option (see post #10 here).

These types of covers use a semi breathable membrane that allows for the passage or water vapor but not actual water molecules. They are less breathable than non waterproof mattress protectors but much more breathable than plastic or polyethylene protectors that don’t breathe at all. They are similar in concept to gore-tex used in outdoor clothing. There is more information about them and the different types of membranes they use at the end of post #2 here.

Phoenix