Classic Brands 2" Topper Review & Question

We just purchased the Classic Brands 2" Topper (from Walmart) to replace the worn out 2" memory foam topper on our bed. We went with this one simply because of the option to return it and we just were not sure what to order, since we have not frame of reference for latex foam. Since Walmart doesn’t give the details of the type latex it is, so I contacted Classic Brands and I was told it’s a 4lb, 20 ILD Dunlop latex, from their Customer Service Dept. Can anyone confirm this? It will help give us a frame of reference moving forward.

The topper came rolled up full width and not very compressed. So it was in a very long box and was heavier than I expected, but this made it easy to unpack and no waiting for the foam to take it’s shape. It’s not quite 2" thick. More like 1-1/2" to 1-3/4. It also came with a cover already installed, which is nice. We like it fine, but it’s not going to be enough. I don’t know what route we are going from here, but our 5 year old Original Mattress Factory mattress is not in good shape (sagging) and the new topper helps, but it’s still not comfortable.

Can anyone tell me why I can buy a 2" Dunlop Topper in such an amazing range of prices? I paid $215 for this one and I see them for sale as high as $600. What’s the deal with that? Simple price gouging?

Hi scott,

I can’t confirm this but i would have my doubts about whether it is 20 ILD based on the feedback. I also believe it is probably blended Dunlop latex (see http://www.classicmattress.com/about_latex_foam.html ). Dunlop also doesn’t have a consistent ILD across the surface. Taking all of this into account … I would think it’s “safer” to assume it’s a little more than 20 ILD (mid 20’s?) and it would also be firmer than Talalay in a simlar ILD. Of course this is just '“educated speculation” and it would be safe to say that it at least is in the “soft dunlop” range of ILD’s even though Dunlop ILD’s are never exact from top to bottom or across the surface of the layer.

It may also be a good idea to check your box spring in case that’s the problem or contributing to the sagging. If you have an OMF model that has thick polyfoam layers on top (pillowtop or eurotop) then a topper may not solve the issue anyway if some of these layers have softened and will just “follow the dips”. Post #4 here has more about this.

This probably has more to do with the type of latex than anything else. Blended Dunlop is the least expensive of all the forms of latex although different outlets will have a range of prices. Walmart is the lowest I’ve seen for this particular topper although others also carry it at low prices and Amazon had it for a similar price but are out of stock. Of course WalMart has a great return policy which can reduce the risk but sometimes it’s at the price of accurate information.

For example this is another blended Dunlop topper for about the same price.

100% natural Dunlop or blended Talalay in the same thickness will generally be more expensive (although not a lot more if you look at some of the choices on the list here). If you add wool or other types of covers it can be even more yet but there are also wide price differences between different manufacturers and outlets which accounts for some of the big price variances as well.

Phoenix