Classic Brands Advanced Comfort 14" Memory Foam Mattress

Excellent excellent feedback, thank you Phoenix. I will read all of the links you offered and reconsider methinks.

The company is the first one in your list of Burlington stores, Vermont Mattress Depot. I had looked at that list you gave and visited all five in the Burlington area. Sean from VTmattressdepot has indeed been helpful, and he’s the one who told me about Classic Brands making mattresses for a whole bunch of retailers, including the Bobopedics.

I’m not sure what was misleading?

Made in China? Their website is misleading then, as they lead one to believe they make them in Maryland.

Anyway, this is all great. I’m ready to buy when I’m ready, nothing is time sensitive here. I’ll read and consider, and lie on more mattresses! Thanks again!

Perry

Hi PRN,

I meant the claim that the mattress was a “match” for the Tempurpedic GrandBed although from the perspective of how it feels this may be accurate … for a while anyway. A customer may translate this into meaning that it’s the same quality as the Grandbed when it’s not. If I was a retailer I would also have cautioned you about a mattress that uses very thick layers of softer 4 lb memory foam (just like many retailers may caution their heavier customers even with some of the softer Tempurpedic Cloud mattresses which use 4 lb memory foam in combination with 5 lb, or 7 lb memory foam).

Their factory is in China (see this article and this article). I would also be a little cautious with mattresses that are compressed for long periods of time because this can have an effect on durability as well (see post #6 here).

@ Centaurita,

I would be very cautious about buying any mattress where you can’t find out the specifics of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here) so you can make sure there are no weak links in the mattress and make more meaningful comparisons to other mattresses. Outside of how well a mattress matches your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP … a mattress is only as good as the quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer. If you are able to find out the type and quality of the materials in the Eloquence (see this article) then you can either compare them to the guidelines here or if you list them on the forum I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality of the materials.

The box spring part is probably incorrect because most foam mattresses (whether they are memory foam, polyfoam, or memory foam) need a firm non flexing support surface such as a platform bed or a foundation. Typically a box spring means a support system that has springs inside it which normally wouldn’t be the best choice for a mattress that has a foam support core and a platform bed or a foundation would be fine.

This part of the description …

… is also wrong. The bottom layer of the mattress is high density polyfoam.

Phoenix

Thank you so much Phoenix for your excellent feedback to my post. We are going after work tonight to test some more beds, so I am sure I will be back here for more research this weekend.
Right now, I have my eyes set on something like the Tri-Pedic Diamond or maybe that Cool Luxe I mentioned before, but don’t know if the budget will allow for that.
One thing is for certain - I need to convince Hubby that the Night Therapy bed at Sam’s is not the great deal he thinks it is!!
I have printed out a bunch of information (including the guidelines), from your site to help with this; so thanks again :slight_smile:

Hi Centaurita,

Good luck in your search … and I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding and of course any comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

*** MODERATOR NOTE: This is a new topic that was “split” from this topic***

We went and tried out the Tempurpedics and Natura latex beds last night. I was really comfortable on the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe, but for some reason- not as much so, on the Cloud Luxe Breeze. I sleep really hot and was trying to like the breeze better- lol.
At another store my husband fell for the Natura Latex. He likes a firmer bed than I do and I think he appreciated the wool and the fact it had a long warranty. Of course he liked the most expensive one they had.
So I was ready to just make a decision today, one way or another because as everyone knows - buying a mattress is the hardest thing to do. I would rather shop for a used car, or start over building my house, than shop for another mattress, so hopefully I made the right decision today. Before I finally did decide, I came across a couple I had not heard of before today - the Casper and Tuft and Needle (I think that’s what it was). At any rate they soon fell into the closed tab file, along with the 20 or so other contenders.

I searched and looked at comparable mattresses all morning and finally narrowed it down to Brooklyn Bedding and these three models.

1. PureCool Luxe (still trying to like the Tempurcloud luxe breeze better than the tempurcloud luxe)
  2. Cool Luxe
  3. Aloe Alexis

After a long online chat with Mario and dozens of questions later I talked to my husband and narrowed it down to Cool Luxe and Alexis. Still more questions later, Mario helped me see why it made sense to go with the latex choice. (I pray I’m not one of those people who gets hot on latex.)

So in 7-10 business days we will be the proud owners of a King Size Aloe Alexis. I opted for the mattress protector and also received a nice Mario Special discount :wink: along with two free shredded latex pillows. All out the door (with Back to school special) for $1545.

So I will be back after I get a chance to try it out to give an honest opinion, to maybe help out the poor souls who are still where I was yesterday.
Hopefully I won’t regret giving in and agreeing with my husband :lol:

And thank for all your work here, Phoenix. Have a great weekend!

Hi Centaurita,

I can see that your “finalists” reflected the “battle of preferences” between you and memory foam and your husband and latex :). Just to ease your mind about sleeping temperature though … latex tends to sleep cooler than any type of memory foam (including gel memory foams) so from that perspective you are making a good choice although some people will sleep warmer on any mattress because of some of the other variables involved in sleeping temperature. There is more about all the variables that can affect sleeping temperature in post #2 here and the posts it links to.

I think you did some good research and asked some good questions and most importantly of all ended up making a great choice. Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback once you receive it.

Phoenix

A quick update: I just ordered this morning a Regalis-HD King mattress from Selectfoam. I am thrilled. I went back alone and with my wife to further test mattresses at local stores, and the Rhapsody tempurpedic really is the top pick. Researching more, prompted by your feedback, Phoenix, Selectfoam soon was on our shortlist (along with Christeli and Brooklyn Bedding). After talking with Pedro (Peter) at Selectfoam and getting a good deal I couldn’t refuse, I happily anticipate the delivery of our new Regalis! Thank you Phoenix! I appreciate GREATLY what you do here. Considering that I will be sleeping perhaps thousands of nights on this (Fate willing…) a good mattress, the right mattress, is hugely important. I think it highly likely that we will love the mattress, but the return policy of Selectfoam tipped the scale to their company.

I hope to write a review of the Regalis when I recieve it.

Thanks Phoenix!

Hi PRN,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a good quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

I’m back to give a quick update on our new Aloe Alexis mattress from Brooklyn Bedding. It arrived as expected. We got a King size and put it directly on the slats of our new bed. The slats are spaced about 3 - 3.5" apart.
I unpacked and assembled the bed by myself. It came with 5 pieces packed in 2 boxes. Box 1 was the base foam layer inside the cover. Box 2 had the two bottom layers of latex + the two top layers of latex. It was more difficult than I anticipated and I would not recommend doing it by yourself if you are not used to physical labor.
I noticed as I was assembling it that one of the bottom layers of latex seemed thicker than the other, but assumed it was due to packing and shipping. When it was complete it definitely had one side thicker than the other.I assumed it would all work out and that first night I slept better than I had in a very long time. It has been about 2 weeks I think and I haven’t slept that good again, but my husband seems to be doing very well. I have sleep issues, so I did not expect any miracles. I can say without a doubt that it is cooler than my old memory foam which is a giant plus.
The bed still was lopsided after 10 days so I took it apart and swapped the top layers around. Both tops are the same number as well as the bottoms so this was not a huge deal. It is actually much better, and I can’t really tell from across the room any more if it is still lower on one side.
All in all I’m happy I chose this bed. My husband is completely satisfied and he tells everyone it is the best bed he’s ever slept on. He also adores the shredded latex pillow. I’m still debating whether to exchange the layers on my side for more softness and I’m really concerned if I do, that I will have that awful lopsided look again when the bed is made.
The only other negative I have is that I sent an email to BB about the thickness differences 4 days ago and have not received a response. ( I measured them and they are indeed different by 1/4" top layers and 1/8" bottom layers).
I do feel like there are more positives. First, I don’t wake with numbness in my hands as often. Second, the movement from the other person is felt even less than on the memory foam. Third, I think my tossing and turning to get comfortable has dramatically decreased.

Hi Centaurita,

Thanks for the update … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

The layers are cut to standard thicknesses so it’s unlikely that there would be enough of an actual difference between them to notice (although I suppose anything is possible) but latex is also very “jello like” and can be easily stretched or bunched when you put it inside the cover which can cause one side to look thicker than another which may be what you were noticing. This isn’t unusual with latex but if you lift up one end and “wave” it into position while carefully either “pushing” or “pulling” you can even out any parts that are stretched or bunched and how evenly it lies in the mattress so there are no uneven parts of the layer. It’s certainly not something I would be concerned with if you need a layer exchange.

They normally reply much more quickly than this so if you haven’t received a reply after 4 days then the email has probably gone astray somehow (either yours or their reply may have gone to a junk folder) and I would either call them or use the chat on their website.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix! I will take your advice.

I’ve spent days poring over your site. Ordering an Aloe Alexis King right now. Thanks for all your great ideas.

Hi K-Lo,

Welcome … and I’m glad the site could help you.

As you know … I think highly of Brooklyn Bedding and you’ve certainly made a great quality/value choice.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Another happy Brooklyn Bedding customer here, I bought the 10" Total latex from them and could not be happier. Well so far anyway, I have only slept on it for two days but the wife and I love it.

Mario is very helpful and I would definitely recommend them to anyone.

Hi Raistlin,

I switched your post to a new topic of its own with the name of your mattress in the title so it will be easier for others to find.

As you know … I think you made a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

No problem, I was actually going to create a new thread and put up a lengthy post/review of all the items I purchased with the help of this site. Including the Charisma sheets from Costco that I read you liked. :wink:

I will edit the OP if I have that ability and add stuff or just respond to this thread with more thoughts.

Hi Raistlin,

[quote]No problem, I was actually going to create a new thread and put up a lengthy post/review of all the items I purchased with the help of this site. Including the Charisma sheets from Costco that I read you liked. :wink:

I will edit the OP if I have that ability and add stuff or just respond to this thread with more thoughts. [/quote]

Either way is fine and you can edit your original post by clicking the “edit” button under your original post or you can add new feedback or information as a new reply (or a combination of both). I think that adding a new post when you have something new or additional to report that you wouldn’t have said in the original post provides a better context but the choice is up to you :).

Phoenix

I just purchased the Aloe Alexis yesterday, based on the reviews on the forum, and couldn’t be more excited to get it!

Hi brianscotty,

Congratulations on your new mattress as well … and I think that you also made a great quality/value choice :slight_smile:

I hope you have the chance to share your feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Finally got the bed put together last night (intervening vacation). Some glitches – one of the mattresses was the wrong density. Mario who responded very quickly said he’d get the right one to us right away, along with the missing latex pillows. First impressions – and I know one night is too early to have anything important to say – I love the Aloe cover. Very cool and plush. I’m getting used to the lack of firm edges – also moving from queen to king, so that’s an adjustment too. We realized that we set up the layers in the wrong order - putting the firmer on top of the less firm. Will fix. All that being said, I was very comfortable last night. Things will shake out/settle and we’ll determine if we need to change up layer firmness. I am conscious of some lower back discomfort this morning but…my upper back was bothering me yesterday so it may have just moved down my back AND I was lifting and moving bed parts.

Giving it some time and I am very optimistic. My husband who was the impetus for a new bed in the first place woke up happy. (By the way, we mentioned Mattress Underground for our 5% discount.) And there was no smell whatsoever.