Close to Final Decision

Hello Phoenix,

Great website, the single most valuable site I’ve used in my search.

So, I’m close (hopefully) to making that final decision and would love your opinion on these four (any weak links).

1. SelectFoam Cirrus Surpreme ES (2" 4lb soy gel foam, 2" 5.3lb)

2. SelectFoam Select Conform Regalis Luxe (1.5" 7.2lb, 2.5" 5lb)

3. Arizona Premium Eco Sleep (2" 24IFD Talalay Latex, 6" 33 ILD 2lb)

4. Arizona Premium Queen Natural Talalay (1.5" Joma Wool topper, 2" #19 Talalay Latex, 6" #32 Talalay core)

Quick summary of what I’m looking for- A mattress that cradles and supports my body. I like somewhat firm mattresses (5 on a 1-10 scale), with some softness on top, but not where I sink in too far. I’m 185lbs. Also a bed that will last.

Since all the above choices are Internet based (I live in NYC), any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi ThatPerfectBed,

There is more about the most important parts of the value of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

Since the choice of materials or types of mattresses is a personal preference … the first thing I would suggest is to choose between memory foam and latex to help you narrow down your choices. There is more about how they compare in post #2 here but the most reliable way to decide which one you tend to prefer would be based on local testing on a range of mattresses that used each material in different firmness levels. The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the New York area are listed in post #2 here.

All of the mattresses you are considering use good quality materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in any of them.

If you decide on memory foam then The Cirrus Supreme is an approximation of the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme Breeze and the Regalis is an approximation of the Tempurpedic Rhapsody Breeze so I would use your local testing on these two mattresses (which are widely available) along with a more detailed conversation with Select Foam to decide which of them is the best match for you in terms of PPP.

If you have tested different types and blends of latex locally and you decide you prefer latex then you would need a more detailed conversation with Arizona Premium to help “talk you through” which of the two options you are considering there would be the best “match” for you (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

The Eco Sleep mattress is a latex/polyfoam hybrid that uses blended Talalay in the comfort layers and 2 lb polyfoam in the support core. Their Natural Talalay mattress uses 100% natural Talalay in all the layers. There is more about latex/polyfoam hybrids vs all latex mattresses in post #2 here.

Hopefully this can help you narrow down some good options to the final choice that is the best match for you in terms of PPP and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Hello Phoenix.

Thanks so much for the helpful information. In your reply your advice to make a decision to choose either Latex or Memory Foam helped narrow it down immensely. Thru my own research and your website, I decided I wanted Latex.

An update: I had decided on the Arizona Premium Queen Natural Talalay. I had a few questions for them so I called them and it rang and rang, then someone finally picked up, said nothing for about 5 seconds, and then hung up on me. I could hear people in the background. They had another number on their website listed, so I tried that one. It said the number was not in service. Hmm, not a good sign.

I then began a search for another like mattress and found Flexus Comfort Mattress Co. I called them up and James answered. He answered all my questions and gave me advice on what he thought would be best for my wife and I (after asking questions like our size, wgt, sleep positions, etc.). His recommendation was exactly what I had picked in advance-

3" Dunlop firm Base, 3" Medium Dunlop Middle layer, 2" Talalay soft top with a cotton and wool zipper cover.

I placed the order and James said it should arrive about next Friday and I should receive confirmation by email.

Henry (James brother and owner/co-owner?) emailed a few days later with confirmation. They kept me updated (tracking #'s, etc) throughout. Yesterday, it arrived pretty much on time (only 1 business day late).

My wife and I assembled it (harder than you’d think, but makes sense when trying to get a zipper cover over 3 layers of 9" total latex, not an easy to work with material), and slept our 1st night on it last night. Feels comfortable, but will know more after a few weeks. Either way, was a pleasure doing business with them so far. They also offer a layer exchange if for some reason I want a different feel.

Will do an update later after I log some more sleep time on it.

Thanks again!

Hi ThatPerfectBed,

Thanks for the first night update and for letting us know what you ended up deciding.

I’m not sure what happened when you called them but they have been there for many years and they will probably be there for many more years to come. Both of the numbers listed here are working (I just tried them) so you may have misdialed the second one.

As you know I also think highly of Flexus and it sounds like you made a great choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :).

As you know … latex is very heavy and “floppy” (to say the least) but once you get the hang of “waving” the layers into position then things usually go fairly easily. It can also look like the cover is too thin when you are doing the final zipping up because it’s meant to fit tightly but everything always works out in the end.

I’m looking forward to any additional updates you have the chance to share.

Phoenix