Closest match to Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe?

I would like to find the closest match to the feel of a Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe from one of the online manufacturers you recommend. I haven’t looked at all of the recommendations but between Brooklyn Bedding’s Cool Luxe and Select Foam’s Cirrus Luxe, do you know which one of these mattresses resembles the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe the closest in feel, comfort and durability?

Is there another company you would recommend as well that may have an equal or better match?
Thank you!

Hi Ruthie,

You can read a little more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” another one in post #9 here but in most cases they will be a “close equivalent” in one or more ways and may not be an exact match unless all the materials and components and the design is exactly the same which wouldn’t normally be the case.

The overall “feel” of a mattress is also so subjective that it’s not really possible to give an objective answer to these types of questions because each person may have a different answer to the same question depending on their body type, sleeping positions, and individual perceptions and in some cases the conditions in their bedroom (memory foam changes in response to temperature, humidity, and how long it is compressed). The only way to answer the question for any specific person would be based on their own side by side testing of all the mattresses they are trying to compare which of course wouldn’t be possible.

Because of the subjective nature of comparing mattresses … you would need to talk with each retailer or manufacturer about how closely their mattresses match in each of the various ways and include the return policies or the options they have available after a purchase as part of your personal value equation in case you are one of the few who doesn’t think that the mattress you purchased was a close enough match for the mattress you are “targeting” (in this case the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe).

Post #12 here has a list of some of the better online memory foam sources I’m aware of (including Brooklyn Bedding and Select Foam) and if you let me know your city or zip code then I’d also be happy to let you know of any local options I’m aware of as well.

In the end when it comes to subjective comfort decisions and you aren’t able to test the mattress in person you will need to rely on your “best judgement” based on the confidence that comes from your conversations with each and the importance of their return or exchange policies when you make your final choice.

Phoenix

I live in Milford, NH 03055. Thank you for looking for stores in my area where I could try some mattresses. I have plenty of places to try the Tempurpedics.

I am curious about your thoughts with the SleepEZ 13,000 mattress. I was speaking with a sales person this evening who suggested 3" of 4 lb memory foam with three 3" layers each of soft, medium and firm latex (talalay blended), because I said I would like a soft bed. He asked me my weight but not what position I sleep and I forgot to ask. Do you have any idea if this would feel anything at all like the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe? Or if there is somewhere near me that I could lay on something that would feel similar? Or do you have any idea what type of Tempurpedic this might feel like? If it’s not possible to get this to feel similar to the Cloud Luxe I don’t think I would want to consider this mattress.

Do you know what type of memory foam SleepEZ uses? If it has gel or anything else besides “plain” memory foam? Do you know if it’s manufactured in the USA?

I feel confident that Select Foam’s Cirrus Luxe will feel similar to the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe and I am heavily leaning towards this mattress. The appeal of the SleepEZ 13,000 is it’s ability for so much flexibility. Especially between each side of the bed for my husband and I to make it most comfortable for each of us. The other appeal is the benefits of latex over memory foam.

My other concern about the blended Talalay latex is the smell. The salesman said the odor would disappear in a few weeks. Is this really true? I had a natural shredded rubber pillow I had to return because I really hated the smell! I tested a latex mattress a few weeks ago in a store and I could smell that same smell that I really disliked. Unless that was a new mattress for them, I am concerned about the smell. But if the latex is 3" under the memory foam, would I even smell the latex?

I am also wondering about SleepEZ’s cover. It is 1" of wool covered in cotton. Would this inhibit the nice plush soft feel of the memory foam?

Thank you for your help!

Select Foam says on their website that their memory foam is the only gel-eased soy blend memory foam on the planet.
What exactly does this mean? And is this really true?
How is their soy foam different from anyone else’s soy foam?

Thank you!

Hi Ruthie,

It uses great quality materials and is a very flexible design that allows someone to make many fine tuning adjustments to their mattress. It may be more than many people need though and most people would probably choose the 10000 model unless they were in a higher weight range or for some reason more layers or a thicker mattress was a preference for them. You can read about some of the pros and cons of having more layers in post #2 here and some of the potential benefits of a thicker mattress in post #4 here. SleepEz is a member here which means that I think very highly of their quality, value, and service.

I have no idea how it would compare with a Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe and I don’t know of any mattress off the top of my head that would have that specific design (I don’t keep records of the specific designs of all the mattresses that each manufacturer or store makes or carries because they change often and that would be an impossible job). I would guess it would be fairly different in terms of feel and performance but the designs are much too different for me to even guess. When two mattresses are that different you would either need to test them side by side to see how they compared for you or trust the guidance of someone who had compared them in real life and had the knowledge and experience to be able to translate their experiences into what someone else may feel on the same two mattresses based on body type, sleeping style, and preferences. If I had to guess it would be more similar to the Tempurpedic weightless mattresses which use thinner layers of softer memory foam over a more resilient transition layer underneath them (although this isn’t latex) although the designs and layer thicknesses are different. This would be as much art as science and one person’s experience can be very different from another on the same two mattresses.

I believe they use 5.5 lb Sensus which is made by Foamex / FXI which is a CertiPur certified US foam manufacturer. I would check with them to confirm this though.

Post #2 here has more about the smell of Dunlop and Talalay latex. It should normally diminish to levels below detection in a few weeks or less (and the smell isn’t harmful in any way) but Dunlop can be a little more long lasting.

It would have an effect on the amount of body heat reaching the memory foam yes and would affect on the feel and response of the memory foam and have a tendency to make it firmer. Some people would consider a quilted wool layer or other types of quilting foam or layers of foam over memory foam as an improvement and others would consider it to be a detriment. It will also depend on the temperature sensitivity of the foam. While most memory foam mattresses use a thinner unquilted cover to maximize the feel and response of the memory foam and the feeling of sleeping “in” the mattress more … other people prefer some type of quilting materials and a little more of the feeling of sleeping “on” the mattress.

Some of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in reasonable driving distance are listed in post #4 here.

Phoenix

Thank you very much Phoenix and also for the listing of options near me. I had no idea there were this many and especially one in my own town!