Coil Array vs Polyfoam and Luma vs BestMattressEver

Good afternoon. Really want to thank you Phoenix for this site which is an invaluable resource into purchasing a mattress where we spend about 1/3 of our time. I think I have settled on my decision with the Luma base mattress. However, the Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever seems like a fantastic option as well. I like the 4" of total latex in the latter and do wish the luma mattress did come with 3" of latex on top instead of just 1.5" (yes, I know they have the Hybrid with a 3" topper, but $540 AC for a blended talalay topper is more than many natural talalay options out there). However, I plan to add a 3" natural latex topper to the luma if I don’t feel it is doing the job. Thus, I will be at about 4" of total latex between the two with the main difference being the support layer of either a coil array or polyfoam. Do you see one being a large improvement in terms of performance or durability? I know the comfort layers are where the material will wear out fastest, but obviously the support layer still plays a roll. Additionally, we have the cost difference. After the TMU discount, the base Luma (which was just raised to $995 which is a disappointment since it seems they were just added as a member to this site) is about $900
compared to $710 for BB. That price difference seems greatly in BB’s favor, especially when you consider that latex is the priciest component of the mattresses with BB providing 4" and Luma only 1.5". Is there anything I am missing to account for such a large difference? On mattresses.net, comparing the DIY component route, the Combi Zone spring is $350 and a 7" 1.9lb polyfoam is $250. In the end, both offer the free trial period to ensure I really can’t make the wrong choice either way (though obviously I would prefer to not return one if possible).

Next, considering the Luma mattress with its coil array, I did inquire about the Combi Zone option which is free of charge. I had read your post comparing the Bolsa system vs the Combi Zone here where you seemed to think the Combi Zone was more about marketing with all the different zones. When I inquired to Luma on their thoughts for a 6’2" 185 lb man, they seemed to think it would not be the best route for me and it would be better served for even larger individuals. What is your thought on the matter? If it is an even swap, is it a wise decision to do? Will it greatly change the feel of the mattress such as maybe even being too stiff and firming up the mattress (since it only has a 1.5" comfort layer, though obviously a 3" topper would help in this regard).

Lastly, neither the Luma or the BB options have wool knitted to the cotton cover. What is your opinion on the addition of a top wool layer which most of the higher priced all latex mattresses contain? I see where it has benefits of its own just like latex as well as providing a natural fire barrier. But it seems to be such a thin layer, is it likely to provide a drastic change in feel?

Thanks,
Jerry

Hi Huckelberry,

Yes, these are both good quality options, although using different componentry. As you’re aware, Luma Sleep is a site member here, which means that I do think highly of them, their products and their knowledge.

Polyfoam is less resilient and responsive and somewhat “stiffer” and less “springy” or “bouncy” than an innerspring, but it can also make a good support system for those that are also a little more restricted in terms of their budget or for those that prefer how it feels over other types of support materials or components. The innerspring units you’re considering would generally be more durable than a polyfoam core, and most people are “used” to sleeping upon innerspring units, so in theory again the adjustment to a mattress using innersprings can be quicker than one using a polyfoam core. Both innersprings and polyfoam cores can be durable support unit choices. Some of the most knowledgeable people I know in the industry that could sleep on anything they wish to sleep on innerspring/latex hybrids (often a pocket coil) but of course others sleep on all latex or memory foam mattresses and when you are looking at high quality materials it really is a preference choice.

Talalay latex component costs were just increased by Talalay Global, so expect to see some fluctuations in pricing of mattresses using latex as the year goes on in the industry.

There is a difference in the cost in material between the polyfoam core and the innerspring unit as far as the materials go. The overall price of a mattress isn’t determined simply by the componentry on the inside, as there are many other costs involved in running these businesses, and that’s not information that would be made public by these companies (or shared with me privately).

This was a post from five years ago discussing spring units that have changed since then. There is a difference between those spring units and the new Quantum Edge Bolsa and Quantum Edge Combi-Zone you’re mentioning and used by Luma Sleep. There is definitely a difference between these two newer spring units.

When you’re not able to try out a product in person, I would defer to the advice of the manufacturer of the product, as no one will have more experience with their products than they will and they’ll be in the best position to offer suggestions that they truly feel will provide you the best chance at success, including their experience with feedback from individuals of similar stature and sleeping styles. I’d strongly consider their suggestions to you.

Whether or not to use wool is a choice by the manufacturer regarding feel, cost, meeting FR and sometimes the “naturalness” of the product and who they are targeting as a consumer base. They layers closest to your skin will have the most dramatic impact upon comfort, and wool can change the feel of the product, but this would depend upon the type of wool used, the blend, the thickness and whether or not it is quilted to the covering (and the type of covering it is quilted to), just to name a few things. Overall, wool will tend to have a bit of a “firming” feel to a mattress, but again this really varies considerably. Sometimes it is added in sufficient quantities to pass federal flammability guidelines instead of using inherently non-toxic rayon/silica fibers. Adding wool to a mattress will also generally increase the cost of the product, again dependent upon the type of wool and the amount.

In the end, every mattress purchase includes more than just the “material value” of the mattress and all the many tradeoffs involved in the mattress itself as well as all the other options and services that are part of every mattress purchase are all part of what I call your personal value equation . There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here but in the end everyone will need to decide what is most important to them and attach a “value” to all the objective, subjective, and intangible factors that are part of any final decision. There is no “best and worst” any longer at this point, only the best for YOU.

Phoenix

I greatly appreciate the thorough reply Phoenix. Are there any mattress companies local to the Birmingham, AL area you would recommend, specifically for latex on coil array, latex on polyfoam, or all latex? Thanks,

Jerry

Hi Huckleberry,

I’m glad some of the information I shared was useful to you.

In the Birmingham, AL area, the pickings are a bit slim, but the better options of which I am aware are listed in post #57 here. Specifically, I would recommend that you pay a visit to Tom at Royal Bedding. He is very knowledgeable and is always creating new items, so his web site wouldn’t necessarily be indicative of everything that he might have available to sample. He would also be knowledgeable about the configurations you are considering.

Good luck!

Phoenix