Comparable to iComfort EFX Intellectual

I went to a bunch of stores and my husband and I agreed that the firmness of the iComfort EFX Intellectual (highest on the firmness scale) was just about perfect but I’ve been reading ALL the articles that are recommended by the mods here at the Mattress Underground and I’m getting the idea that I don’t want this exact bed. The firmness is reported as being lost over a very short amount of time.

Plus I have seen some online brands that are SIGNIFICANTLY less expensive for the same (if not better) quality. But I really want to feel them. I have never found a foam bed that doesn’t hurt my back (i’ll explain why in a sec) and even with great reviews I am hesitant.

I am looking for better brands that deserve my money but can give me the level of firmness that the EFX gave initially.

I sleep on my stomach and he has severe Apnea where he needs to sleep flat on his back or he has apnea events. (even with his machine). We are both large people as well and are both aware we are going to wear the bed out sooner then a skinny couple would. We both enjoy a very firm bed and we are extremely concerned about sagging in a very short amount of time.

The EFX is a foam bed and it is the ONLY foam bed I have ever tried that I actually liked. My stomach didn’t sag into it even after multiple minutes of laying on it. My back stayed straight and didn’t start to hurt like on everything else I tried. If it wasn’t for the reports of the EFX sagging so quickly I would get it today (to heck with the name brand and all that!).

I’ve read the articles on this website and have looked through the search feature to see if this questions has already been answered but I can’t find anything except for articles that say “such and such is good for big people” with nothing to say it’s firmness is comparable to anything I can go feel in person.

-Becky

https://www.mattressfirm.com/serta_icomfort_intellectual_efx_firm_mattress-p434.aspx

Hi BckyLTylr,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! … and I’m glad you found us before you purchased a major brand mattress!

All the major brands (such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta) tend to use lower quality materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors that will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay which is why I would generally suggest avoiding all of them completely (and the major retailers that focus on them) along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here).

[quote]I am looking for better brands that deserve my money but can give me the level of firmness that the EFX gave initially.

I sleep on my stomach and he has sever apnea. We are both large people as well. We both enjoy a very firm bed and we are extremely concerned about sagging in a very short amount of time.

The EFX is a foam bed and it is the ONLY foam bed I have ever tried that I actually liked. My stomach didn’t sag into it even after multiple minutes of laying on it. My back stayed straight and didn’t start to hurt like on everything else I tried. If it wasn’t for the reports of the EFX sagging so quickly I would get it today.

I’ve read the articles on this website and have looked through the search feature to see if this questions has already been answered but I can’t find anything except for articles that say “such and such is good for big people” with nothing to say it’s firmness is comparable to anything I can go feel in person.[/quote]

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … I don’t make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I would be very cautious about brand shopping in general because you are buying a specific mattress not the brand and most manufacturers have access to the same or similar components and materials. Many manufacturers make a wide range of mattresses that can vary from lower quality and less durable materials to higher quality and more durable materials in a wide range of prices. The name of the manufacturer on the label or the price of the mattress won’t tell you anything about whether a specific mattress is suitable for you in terms of PPP or whether there are any lower quality materials or weak links in the design that would affect the durability and useful life of the mattress (which are the two most important parts of a mattress purchase). There is more about the risks of brand shopping in post #5 here and post #12 here.

It’s good to see that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

I would also keep in mind that there are also no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

There is also more information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one. Every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover and any quilting materials) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and component and the mattress “as a whole” so unless you are able to find another mattress that uses exactly the same type of materials, components, cover, layer thicknesses, layer firmnesses, and overall design (which would be very unlikely) then there really isn’t a way to match one mattress to another one in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP based on the specifications of the mattresses (even assuming that you can find out all the specifications you would need for both mattresses you are comparing in the first place).

Mattress manufacturers generally try to differentiate their mattress from the mattresses made by other manufacturers and don’t normally try to “match” another mattress that is made by a different manufacturer so unless a manufacturer specifically says in their description of a mattress that one of their mattresses in the same general category is specifically designed to “match” or “approximate” another one in terms of firmness or “feel” and PPP and/or they are very familiar with both mattresses and can provide reliable guidance about how they compare based on the “averages” of a larger group of people that have compared them (different people may have very different opinions about how two mattresses compare) … the only reliable way to know for certain how two mattresses would compare for you in terms of how they “feel” or in terms of firmness or PPP would be based on your own careful testing or actual sleeping experience on both of them.

I think that the best suggestion I could make would be to first confirm the knowledge, experience, and especially the transparency of the retailers or manufacturers you are visiting and make sure that they can provide you with the information you need (see this article) BEFORE you go to visit them and test their mattresses in person (see this article).

One of the most frustrating parts of mattress shopping can be spending time testing a mattress and finding out that you like it and it’s a good match for you in terms of firmness, “feel” and PPP only to find out that the mattress contains low quality materials and/or that information you need to identify any lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress or make meaningful comparisons to other mattresses isn’t available and you’ve wasted the time you spent testing the mattress.

In other words … the time you spend testing mattresses that use low quality materials or where you can’t find out what is inside them or that other manufacturers don’t specifically advertise as being similar to a mattress that they make won’t generally help you find another mattress that is similar because the only way to know how similar it will be for you (regardless of whether it would feel similar to someone else) will be based on your own careful testing or personal experience.

In its simplest form … choosing the “best possible” mattress for any particular person really comes down to first finding a few knowledgeable and transparent retailers and/or manufacturers that sell the types of mattresses that you are most interested in and that you have confirmed will provide you with the all the information you need about the materials and components inside the mattresses they sell so you will be able to make informed choices and meaningful comparisons between mattresses and then …

1. Careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to make sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP … and/or that you are comfortable with the options you have available to return, exchange, or “fine tune” the mattress and any costs involved if you can’t test a mattress in person or aren’t confident that your mattress is a suitable choice.

2. Checking to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress relative to your weight range that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress.

3. Comparing your finalists for “value” based on #1 and #2 and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

I live in the 77328 area code. North of Houston.

I am looking at the list of online options that you have posted on a thread here and found Sedona. I like the idea of being about to remove layers without having to replace the whole system.

Just wish I could lay on it before taking the plunge.

Hi BckyLTylr,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Houston area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked in my last reply) are listed in post #2 here.

I’m assuming that you are referring to the simplified choice mattress topic which includes more details of the Sedona Sleep mattress and many of the other simplified choice mattresses as well (in post #2 of the topic). If you are considering online options then the tutorial also includes several other links to lists of many of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) outside of the “simplified choice” mattresses as well.

The iComfort is a memory foam mattress and memory foam and latex are very different materials with very different properties. There is more about the differences between them in post #2 here but the best way to know which type of materials or which type of mattresses you tend to prefer (at least in general terms) will be based on your own careful testing and personal experience on a range of different types of mattresses.

The Sedona Sleep mattress certainly uses high quality materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links that would compromise the durability or useful life of the mattress. Similar to other component mattresses (or a firmer base mattress with a softer topper) as you mentioned it would have the advantage of being able to replace a single layer if one of the layers softens or breaks down before the others (usually the softer top layer) or if your needs or preferences change down the road without having to replace the entire mattress.

If you know that you like the “feel” of latex it would certainly be well worth considering.

Phoenix

I purchased and just received the sedona system. Initially it feels great. Tonight is my first night on it.

Hi BckyLTylr,

Thanks for the update and for letting us know what you ended up deciding.

As you know you certainly made a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to any additional updates you have the chance to share once you’ve had the chance to sleep on it for a little longer.

Phoenix

It’s been a week.

Mattress came in two parts and both were very easy to move around alone. I didn’t need help.

Hubby (remember, he’s over 400 lbs) immediately LOVED the mattress. We got the highest firmness offered. He was in a motorcycle wreck last year and broke both legs. This causes chronic pain in the legs and back. The bed makes him feel “wonderful”.

I’m a stomach sleeper and need support in the midsection so my lower back doesn’t flex. The mattress doesn’t dip and keeps my back straight so it helps a great deal with me as well.

He loves it. But with me I still wake up sore sometimes. It’s just not as bad as our old mattress. I don’t love it as much as he does. But for now I would still say it’s a great bed. It’s just that I’ve NEVER loved any mattress I’ve ever had. This is simply the best I’ve experienced and I’m not sure why it’s not spectacular for me.

Hi BckyLTylr,

Thanks for the update … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

I would keep in mind that here will be a break in and adjustment period for any new mattress or sleeping system as the mattress loses any of it’s “false firmness” and the cover stretches and loosens a little and the materials settle and your body gets used to a sleeping surface that is different from what it is used to (see post #3 here). This would typically be a few weeks but it can be shorter or longer depending on the specifics of the person and the mattress (higher density materials can take longer) and it can be surprising to many people how much their sleeping experience can change over the course of the first month or so.

I’m not sure what type of soreness you are experiencing or where you are experiencing it but if you have the firmest option available and you are significantly lighter than your husband then it’s possible that it may be a little on the firm side for you. If this is the case then some of the suggestions in post #2 here may also be helpful.

I don’t know how you would define “spectacular” but if it’s the best you’ve ever experienced then I would say that it’s at least “very good”!

Phoenix

I sleep on my stomach. Once the foam has has conformed to my body for the night my abdomen settles into the mattress and bends my lower back, which is always sore the next morning.

To compensate I have begun sleeping with a pillow under my lower abdomen. Which would indicate a need for more firmness, no?

Hi BckyLTylr,

I don’t know if you are an exclusive stomach sleeper (which is very uncommon) but in very general terms stomach sleeping is the most risky of all the sleeping positions in terms of alignment and will usually need either thinner comfort layers and/or firmer comfort layers or in some cases a firmer support core to help prevent their pelvis from sinking into the mattress too far and sleeping in a swayback position which can certainly lead to lower back pain.

If you sleep close to your husband then it’s also possible that you are partly sleeping in the impression that he creates in the mattress as well (which would be deeper than yours if he is heavier than you).

It’s also very common that stomach sleepers need to sleep with a thin pillow under their pelvis/lower abdomen to help prevent this.

Some of the suggestions in post #4 here may be helpful as well.

Phoenix