Comparing Arizona Premium's Coil Options

On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the firmest I would rate the Combi zone at an 8.5, the caliber at 7.5 and the bolsa is an 8. Me being a side sleeper I like the feel of the Bolsa the best because the lighter gauge coils contour better than the other two. None of these are mushy at all.

Thanks again for your explanations. I have one more question: What is the difference between caliber edge, quantum edge, and quantum edge elite? I can’t seem to find an adequate description on Leggett and Platt’s website. Thanks!

Here’s the description for the 660 Caliber Edge - Caliber Edge 6" Pocket Coil by Leggett and Platt – DIY Mattress

Combi Zone aka Quantum Edge Elite - Combi-Zone Pocket Coil by Leggett and Platt, Save Big with DIY Latex Mattress Components, Latex Mattresses-Talalay and Dunlop, All Products

Quantum Edge Bolsa - 8" Quantum Edge Elite Bolsa, DIY Latex Mattress Components

Thanks! So it looks like Caliber edge has the same size coils as the main part of the mattress, but stiffer. And the quantum edge has narrower diameter coils around the edge. But there isn’t any description of what makes the elite “elite.”

If you go to the L&P website it actually explains the difference between QE & QE Elite. The elite has the narrow, QE coils around the full perimeter of the mattress while the QE only has them on the left and right sides. Just look at the pictures and the short description walks through the difference.

Out of curiosity (since i’m looking to purchase as well) what didn’t you like about “zoned” mattresses? I.E. why is the combizone not appealing to you?

Thanks!

Thanks! I tried several zoned coils in stores, and slept on one for about a month. I felt like my hips were too high, and my upper body was sinking in too much, which ended up causing problems with my neck. Plus when I sat up in bed, it felt weird.

I kept wishing the whole mattress was the same stiffness as the edge or center coils – and even then, they weren’t firm enough for me. My hip area is not that much wider or heavier than my upper body, so my hips don’t tend to sink in any more than my upper body when laying on a normal mattress. As Ken says in this post, “If you are mainly a side sleeper then not having the zoning could be more beneficial.”

I also have to say that my needs are probably different from the average side sleeper. I tend to prefer a firmer mattress because I don’t generally suffer from pressure issues but spinal alignment is a big concern for me. I actually like the feel of pressure on my torso because I feel like it’s keeping my spine from sagging.

1 Like

Based on that I would go with the QE Bolsa spring, no zoning but lots of coils for good support.

I have a Combi-Zone. Been sleeping on it for just over a week. In my head I thought it would be a great choice, and that I needed the firmer zoning in the center. However, in practical usage, I don’t like it. The center zone is too firm and the head and foot zone are too soft. The zone also isn’t in the right spot for me. I’m short, so tend to sleep more toward the head of the bed, and the zone is just a little too low to hit my hips right, so I have to scooch down. It definitely does its job in promoting great alignment, I’m just not at all convinced it was the right choice for me. I’m currently sleeping with a 3" med Talalay and a 2" memory foam topper on it, and it still gives me hip pain. Not as much now, because it’s softening, but I can always feel that zone, lurking. I think my biggest concern is that in a few years the head and foot will have softened so much that I’ll be doing a reverse taco in my bed! lol
I will give it excellent marks for the edge support. It’s really outstanding.

I’m 5’4", 215 lbs, back and side sleeper, coming from a Beautyrest Platinum Plush bed that started to fail after 2 years. The coils went nutso inside. I didn’t know that until I cut it open, and then it’s too late to make a warranty claim. (it’s now in pieces throughout my house)

I think I answered this via email but you can either add another layer of soft latex to offset the zoning or replace the zoned coil with non zoned (Caliber Edge).

My husband tried my mattress last night, and had pretty much the same problems I’m having: the zoned area is too firm, and the non-zoned areas are too soft. I’m considering several options, but in the meantime, Ken, how would you characterize the 6" Caliber Edge feel (the inner portion, not the edges) directly compared to the non-zoned portions of the Combi-Zone? I need to carefully consider my next step, with all the information I can gather. Thanks.

They would be firmer than the non zoned area but not quite as firm as the zoned area. They are bigger coils and firmer gauge but not as many coils.

Could you also rate your Quantum Edge Elite Bolsa vs the non-zoned and zoned areas of the combi-zone?

And earlier you said, “I like the feel of the Bolsa the best because the lighter gauge coils contour better than the other two.” What does that mean exactly? I just want to be sure I understand if there is a relationship between contouring ability and firmness of the coils.

Thank you for being patient with all our questions.

Thank you! That was exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

My reply for for a specific customer who ordered a TwinXL and we don’t offer TwinXL in QE Bolsa. The combi zone does use a lighter gauge coil in the center (zoned) area but it’s a firmer feel because you have twice as many coils doing the work so even though they are lighter gauge it’s a firmer feel vs. one standard bolsa spring. Having the firmer zoning is best suited to back or stomach sleepers where the non zoned bolsa is better for side sleepers who don’t need the zoning benefits.

Thank you. As you did for the caliber edge, could you make the same comparison between the QE Elite Bolsa vs the combi-zone? That is, are the bolsa coils not as firm as the zoned portion of the combi-zone but firmer than the head and foot area?

Same as the head and foot portion of the combi zone throughout the entire spring except for the quantum edge. But it’s only a 6" coil which means it compresses faster and therefor does offer a slightly firmer feel than the equivalent 8" coil.

Thanks, but now I’m even more confused.

You said the QE bolsa unit was firmer than your caliber edge unit, and that the caliber edge unit was firmer than the head and foot portions of the combi-zone unit.

But now you are saying that the QE bolsa is the same as the head and foot portions of the combi-zone. Can you clarify?

If you read my previous comment you will see that because it’s only a 6" high coil it compresses faster and creates more resistance than the 8" coil of the same gauge resulting in a firmer feel.

Ah, I think I follow now – you’re saying that even though the QE bolsa and combi-zone head and foot portions use the same coil, the QE bolsa feels firmer because it’s only 6"?

So when evaluating your models, in order from firmest to least firm feel, it would go middle zone portion of the combi-zone, QE bolsa, Caliber Edge, then head and foot portion of the combi-zone?

Bingo