Comparing Arizona Premium's Coil Options

If you read my previous comment you will see that because it’s only a 6" high coil it compresses faster and creates more resistance than the 8" coil of the same gauge resulting in a firmer feel.

Ah, I think I follow now – you’re saying that even though the QE bolsa and combi-zone head and foot portions use the same coil, the QE bolsa feels firmer because it’s only 6"?

So when evaluating your models, in order from firmest to least firm feel, it would go middle zone portion of the combi-zone, QE bolsa, Caliber Edge, then head and foot portion of the combi-zone?

Bingo

Will the 6" QE Bolsa coils work for a lightweight, short, side sleeper (5’0" 110 pound) ? Or will it be too firm for hips and shoulders to sink properly?
Any other coils you would recommend for a lightweight, short, side sleeper?
Plan is to put 2 x 2" or 1 x 3" latex on top of the coils.

The springs are going to be firm so the real key is to get the right latex. I would do 2" of Talalay #19 and 2" of Talalay #14 over that coil and that will provide the give you need for your hips and shoulder and yet still maintain good support.

Hi there,
I am new to TMU, so hopefully I am doing this right. I wanted to build on this thread since I also have a question about L&P coils for a latex hybrid mattress. For reference, I am 5’7" and 135lb and side/back sleeper. My husband is 6’ and 195 and also side/back sleeper. I like a softer feel on top for my shoulders/hips, but supportive for my back/neck. My husband tends to like firmer, but is not as picky.

I think I understand the comparisons between the L&P QE Combi, Bolsa and Caliber. And, as side sleepers it sounds like non-zoned is best. But, what about a L&P Quantum Edge Bolsa unit with only 789 coils on a queen instead of over 1000 coils on the Elite? Evidently this unit is 8" and has 14g at head/foot, 16g at edge and 13.75g in the middle sleeping area? It has far fewer coils than the Elite - what does that do to support and durability? Or, is the Bolsa sleeping area the same, and the difference in coil count is just due to the edges? And, while it has more coils than Caliber(789 vs 660), it likely has fewer in the sleeping area since part of that higher coil count is due to Quantum edges. How would durability/support compare here?

Finally, I am also looking at a proprietary pocket coil system (Powercore by Charles P Rogers - looking at their Real Bed with 3"dunlop top). This system is also 8" with 1200 coils of 13g/1.6mm. Should this likely be similar support/durability to the L&P Elite Bolsa? Likely this is hard to say given different mfr, but thought I would ask!

Thanks for any insights you can offer.

Excellent advise from Ken. Had the same question. Although the Combi-zone is slightly more expensive it is not necessarily better than the Quantum Edge / Bolsa inside

It’s better for a back or stomach sleeper because it’s zoned and has more support in the middle. It’s an 8" high coil so if you like a little taller mattress it’s good in that way as well. It’s so popular that Leggett and Platt is having a hard time keeping up with demand.

“On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the firmest I would rate the Combi zone at an 8.5, the caliber at 7.5 and the bolsa is an 8. Me being a side sleeper I like the feel of the Bolsa the best because the lighter gauge coils contour better than the other two. None of these are mushy at all.”

Hi Ken! You mentioned that you’re a side sleeper and prefer the Quantum Edge Bolsa. Curious, is it possible to compare the Bolsa to a firm 6" Dunlop core, or is that comparing apples to proverbial oranges? I currently have a 6" firm Dunlop core in my bed, but I’m building another bed for my daughter and was thinking of going hybrid for her. We’re both side sleepers, she’s 5’7" about 125lbs, whereas I’m a bloated bloke standing 6’4" about 240lbs. I’m still debating whether I made the right decision for myself using a 6" core, since I’m still chasing that elusive sweat spot for my comfort layers–currently 3" 28ILD Talalay above the core which is still a bit too firm, thinking of trying 24ILD Talalay because I believe 19ILD would be too soft. Would I better benefit from the Bolsa too? Thanks for your time.

I just wanted to let folks know about a change in the offerings for Arizona mattress company in case they also look at this old thread and think that it is still up to date.
It turns out that the Quantum Edge Bolsa which was offered as 6in when this thread was mostly written is now 8 in.

You can see the difference here: Quantum Edge Elite Bolsa, DIY Latex Mattress Components (6in) vs. here: 8" Quantum Edge Elite Bolsa, DIY Latex Mattress Components (8in).
Products – DIY Mattress

This may make statements like the following earlier in the thread less accurate:

10 being the firmest I would rate the Combi zone at an 8.5, the caliber at 7.5 and the bolsa is an 8. Me being a side sleeper I like the feel of the Bolsa the best because the lighter gauge coils contour better than the other two. None of these are mushy at all.
when evaluating your models, in order from firmest to least firm feel, it would go middle zone portion of the combi-zone, QE bolsa, Caliber Edge, then head and foot portion of the combi-zone

Ken, what is the impact of the Quantum Edge Bolsa changing from a 6" to an 8" in terms of firmness?

It’s a better choice for side sleepers and the sizing is much better than the 6". For some reason Leggett and Platt makes the 6" smaller than the same 8" version at 1" undersized length and width. 8" has more coil travel making it more conforming to body curves than a 6".

[quote=“Arizona Premium post=93315”]It’s a better choice for side sleepers and the sizing is much better than the 6". For some reason Leggett and Platt makes the 6" smaller than the same 8" version at 1" undersized length and width. 8" has more coil travel making it more conforming to body curves than a 6".
[/quote]

Appreciate it. So just to make sure I’m totally clear - a little less firm, right? Better for side sleeping = softer?

Also your sister site is still showing that you carry the 6" coils.

Is that true or has that page just not been updated yet?

That coil is the Caliber Edge, not the Bolsa you were inquiring about. The 8" Bolsa is a little less firm, correct