Comparing ILDs of Dunlop Latex

I’m confused. Why do some retailers offer “Soft” with ranges of 19-27 and others specify a much more narrow range? Like 16-18, 19-22, and 20-24. And that doesn’t even consider “extra soft”!!!

Does it really matter? Or is Dunlop variable and I won’t “feel” the difference anyway?

How precise of an ILD rating should I request? We are trying to buy online and compare apples to apples.

Thank you!
BB

Hi buttercupbetty,

Dunlop ILD’s are approximations at best and at worst they are often listed incorrectly. Many Dunlop manufacturers don’t test their latex cores for ILD and only list their density. In some cases they will use different types of testing to measure firmness and then some sites use the results as an ILD estimate even though it’s not correct. There is more about Dunlop ILD’s in post #6 here and in post #4 here and in post #6 here.

With Dunlop, because of the uncertainty of ILD listings, I would tend to go by density or if the ILD is listed then I would also ask about the density to make sure they both appear to confirm each other.

Phoenix