Comparing innerspring mattresses

I’m currently looking at couple of innerspring mattresses for my daughter, who is just starting out in her first apartment. Unfortunately, I can’t get really good spec on either mattress, but would like some feedback about the coil count and other thoughts (based on what limited information I was able to find).

The first mattress is a Dutch Craft Comfort Collection Supreme PT mattress. The mattress/box spring set is on clearance for only $375, so this looks to be a really good deal, and my daughter says it’s pretty comfortable. It’s her #2 choice after days of looking at mattresses; the reason that it’s #2 is that she says it doesn’t feel quite as supportive as the #1 choice. I’m wondering if the low coil count might be the reason for that?

It’s a queen size mattress, and the information from their website says:

• 1.5" Plush Quilting
• Knit Fabric
• 1.75" Plush Poly Foam
• 5/8" Poly Foam
• ½" Comfort Pad
• 312 13 gauge w/edge supports
• Hardwood Foundation
• 10 year Warranty (note: not sure if this applies to clearance items)
• 14.5" Mattress Height

The other mattress we’re looking at (her #1 choice) is more expensive ($699) and is a Southerland Troubador Plush, queen size. I can’t find anything about this mattress at all anywhere on the internet (maybe that’s a special name just for Mattress Matters stores?), but this is the information from the tag in the store:

Hyper soft foam
High density firm foam
HD medium foam
Gel infused memory foam liner
Comfort pad
504 foam encased alternating coil innerspring
Comfort base pad
Performance grid steel foundation
12 year warranty

Clearly it has more coils, which could explain the more supportive feel, though I have no idea what gauge they are.

Without any more really detailed information, is there anything here that could help sway a decision one way or the other, other than price?

Hi a2dox,

The coil count by itself isn’t particularly important (see this article and post #10 here) and I would focus much more on careful testing using the testing guidelines in the mattress shopping tutorial than the number of coils in the springs.

There is more about the most important parts of the value of a mattress purchase in post #13 here.

In terms of suitability … only your daughter can decide which mattress is the most suitable choice in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) based on her testing.

In terms of durability (which is the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase) … the specs you provided don’t include any information about the quality of the materials in either mattress (see this article) so it’s not possible for me to make any meaningful comments about the quality or durability of the materials in either mattress.

The retailer you are buying from should be willing to provide you with the specs you need to make a more informed choice and if you can find out and post the information on the forum I’d be happy to make some comments about either or both mattresses or let you know if I can see any obvious weak links in either of them.

She could still tell which mattress was the most suitable for her in terms of PPP with her testing and she could still compare the other parts of the “value” of a mattress that may be an important part of her personal value equation but there is no way to know the quality or durability of the materials without knowing the specs so from a durability point of view you would be making a completely blind purchase without them.

Phoenix