Comparing Latex to Memoryfoam and had a crazy idea.

Hello,

I am in the market for a new bed. After spending a lot of time looking and comparing… I have narrowed it down to two different beds from SelectFoam. The Regalis-HD 12" and the Natural 8"

Now, I originally wanted a Latex bed. But, the Regalis seems to push all the right buttons with me. Would you be able to do something like a Regalis with a Natural Latex support core, and would it be something you would recommend? Do they make a memory foam beds with a latex core? Is it stupid to try to combine these? I was just thinking of gaining the benefits of a memory foam bed with a little more spring in it like a latex. You are welcome to call me an idiot if this is a ridiculous idea.

Hi Terse,

Yes … you could replace the polyfoam with latex but you would also have a different mattress with a different "feel’ and performance that may be more or less suitable for your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

I don’t recommend any specific mattress, materials, or design because there are too many variable and unknowns for “theory at a distance” to be more accurate than your own personal testing and experiences or to choose a single mattress out of all the thousands of different designs (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). The choice of different materials is based on individual preferences and of course on budget considerations. My “recommendations” are based on “how” to choose rather than “what” to choose and that no matter which materials you prefer that you make sure you know the quality of all the layers and components so that you can identify any weak links in the mattress in terms of durability and useful lifetime and can make more meaningful quality and value comparisons.

There are many people who like the “feel” of a relatively thin layer of memory foam over a layer of more resilient foam such as latex or polyfoam so that they have some of the surface feel of memory foam with the “feel” of a more resilient material that “comes through” the memory foam. There are also others (and I’m one of them) that like the “feel” of a relatively thin layer of latex over a layer of memory foam because there is a more resilient sleeping surface with some of the “feel” of memory foam that comes through the latex. Even the Tempurpedic Weightless collection has a design like this (a thinner layer of memory foam over a more resilient layer underneath it).

It’s certainly not an “idiotic” idea and all of these are perfectly valid designs as long as they are suitable for your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

Phoenix

Hi Terse,

As Phoenix mentioned, I am also one of the folks who like the feel of the layers you have mentioned.

• Tempurpedic Bellafina was discontinued unfortunately, but was their 5lb memory foam over ~2" medium latex, over core
  • Tempurpedic Weightless is their ES 4lb foam, over a “latex like feel”, over core
  • Since you mentioned Select Foam, while I have not tried one, they do have the Featherlight models, which are similar to the Tempurpedic Weightless
  • While I cannot speak to the quality of materials, the Comforpedic models seem to layer memory foam & latex as well if you wanted to test some for feel.

All of those combine various layering options of memory foam & latex. It’s a nice combination if you like foam, and if you like a bit more traditional bounce in your mattress.

Good luck with your search!