Comparing Pure Latex Bliss Nature and Dreamfoam Total Latex

I thought I could wait a little longer with my 19 year old mattress but I really, really can’t.

There are very few stores in Austin that carry 100% latex mattresses, and the ones who do are quite expensive. I tried the Pure Latex Bliss Nature and really liked how it felt, but it runs $3200.

I just found the Dreamfoam Total Latex online and it seems like I can configure it somewhat similarly for just over half the price, but am I comparing apples to apples? I understand that there are two top/comfort layers on the PLB and only one on the Dreamfoam.

PLB (specs pulled from this thread) $3200
10" Natural Talalay
2" ActiveFusion Fast Natural Talalay 21 ILD
2" Natural Talalay Pressure Relief 28 ILD
6" Natural Talalay Latex Support Core 36 ILD

Dreamfoam $1799
9″ of Premium Latex
3" blended Talalay - ILD your choice?
6" 36 ILD Talalay or Dunlop core

Hubby is nervous about buying sight unseen and mattress unfelt. Are these going to be similar in feel? Quality? Any other considerations?

Hi Zerbert,

There is more information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one. Every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover and any quilting materials) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and component and the mattress “as a whole” so unless you are able to find another mattress that uses exactly the same type of materials, components, cover and quilting, layer thicknesses, layer firmnesses, and overall design (which would be fairly unlikely) then there really isn’t a reliable way to match one mattress to another one in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) based on the specifications of the mattresses (even assuming that you can find out all the specifications you would need for both mattresses you are comparing in the first place).

Mattress manufacturers generally try to differentiate their mattress from the mattresses made by other manufacturers and don’t normally try to “match” another mattress that is made by a different manufacturer so unless a manufacturer specifically says in their description of a mattress that one of their mattresses in the same general category is specifically designed to “match” or “approximate” another one in terms of firmness or “feel” and PPP and/or they are very familiar with both mattresses and can provide reliable guidance about how they compare based on the “averages” of a larger group of people that have compared them (different people may have very different opinions about how two mattresses compare) … the only reliable way to know for certain how two mattresses would compare for you in terms of how they “feel” or in terms of firmness or PPP (regardless of anyone else’s opinions of how they compare which may be different from your own) would be based on your own careful testing or actual sleeping experience on both of them.

There are also no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

In other words … if two mattresses have different designs and materials then your own careful testing or personal experience is the only reliable way to compare two mattresses in terms of “comfort” firmness, and PPP.

Comparing two mattresses in terms of durability is much more simple and more objective once you know the specifications of all the materials and layers in two mattresses you are comparing (see this article) because making durability comparisons is just a matter of comparing the quality and durability of the materials and components inside it and making sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that would be a reason for concern. Again though I would always keep in mind that the quality and durability of the materials has little to nothing to do with how a mattress will feel or compare to any other mattress in terms of comfort, firmness, or PPP.

In other words you are comparing apples to apples in terms of the quality and durability of the materials inside each mattress (both of them are latex) but they are different designs so they could be different in terms of “feel”, firmness, and PPP.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

As far as the specifics of each mattress …

Dreamfoam Total Latex

This mattress is a component mattress that allows you to choose the firmness of the top 3" blended Talalay latex layer before a purchase. It also allows you to choose a softer base layer or a 100% natural Dunlop base layer if you prefer 100% natural Dunlop over blended Talalay. There is more about some of the general differences between Dunlop and Talalay in post #7 here but the best way to know which type of latex you tend to prefer will be based on your own careful testing or personal experience. It also has a cover that is quilted with wool rather than a thinner more stretchy knit cover. There is more about the pros and cons of a wool quilted cover vs a more stretchy knit cover in post #6 here. For a nominal price you can also exchange the top layer for a different firmness if your experience your original choice is either too soft or too firm.

Dreamfoam is also one of the members of this site which means that I think highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

Pure Latex Bliss Nature:

This is a finished mattress that also uses great quality and durable materials but has a different design (different layer thicknesses and firmnesses) than the Total Latex Mattress. If the Nature is a good match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP then it would also be well worthwhile considering and it may be a less risky choice than choosing a different mattress and having the ability to exchange an individual layer may not be as important to you.

Pure Latex Bliss mattresses also have MAP pricing (minimum advertised pricing) and there are some dealers that sell them for for less than this as long as they don’t advertise it. If you do decide on one of their mattresses there are some PLB dealers that will ship across the country listed in post #32 here that you can call to use as a pricing reference point and I would start by giving Jeff a call at Matt-To-Go who is also one of the members of this site.

There is also more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

Once you have narrowed down your options to a list of finalists that are all choices between “good and good” (which you have) and none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design (which they don’t) and if at this point there are no clear winners between them (which is usually a good indication that you have done some good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your more detailed phone conversations about each of them, the firmness and suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences for different types of materials and components or types and blends of latex, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers and any costs involved, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix. All very good points. I had not thought about purchasing a PLB and shipping it in.

I do like the idea of the temperature regulation of wool, though. There are a lot of pros and cons on both mattresses…

PLB pros - known quantity, superior warranty both in length and terms, possibility of buying locally
PLB cons - price, only 30 days to test if bought locally, may not be able to return at ALL if shipped
DF pros - price, customization, wool layer
DF cons - inability to test before buying, costs $ to replace layer or return, only 30 days to test

Maybe there are other online options I should be looking at, too?

Hi Zerbert,

If you are focusing on online all latex mattresses then the mattress shopping tutorial includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) and many of them also also sell all latex mattresses (including component mattresses) that use different types and blends of latex and have a wide range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices that that may also be worth including in your research.

Subject to confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list is completely transparent (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your criteria and the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Austin, TX area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

I finally ended up pulling the trigger on a SleepEZ mattress today after dithering for weeks, listening to the lonely sproinging sound of our poor, sad old mattress at night every time I blinked.

I was able to test out Dunlop vs. Talalay and to my surprise, preferred the Dunlop’s ability to isolate motion. We’re doing the bottom two layers Dunlop and the top Talalay. Firm/Medium/Soft for me, Firm/Medium/Medium for hubby. I also ordered a Sleep Philosophy Wonder Wool mattress pad and a KD foundation to replace our ancient box spring.

Now I have to face what will likely seem an eternity of waiting until it gets here next week, even though I’ve been researching mattresses for over 6 months.

Hi Zerbert,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think you made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Here are my thoughts after a few weeks on the SleepEZ -

First of all, we realized the knockdown foundation we ordered would not fit in our existing setup. We had a bed built for a split king box, so we had to do some major scrambling in order to be able to use our bed with the new mattress. We ended up ordering a Mantua support system to go underneath the knockdown foundation - Amazon.com

Once this was in place, the low profile KD foundation + the mattress is pretty short. I probably should have ordered the 8" foundation instead of the 4". Oh, well. It’s easier to tie my shoes this way!

The topper I got was the Sleep Philosophy Wonder Wool mattress cover. It’s not 100% waterproof, but it seems like it would hold up pretty well to smaller spills. If we do have something bad happen, the mattress itself is totally modular, so we can replace the area that got affected rather than have to replace the whole thing. The topper’s 50% wool, 50% polyester. I am normally a very warm sleeper and have been quite happy with this topper.

Onto the mattress. I haven’t slept this well in years. Hubby’s side and my side are slightly different firmnesses, but there’s no appreciable gap or ridge where the middle junction lies, just a difference in firmness. There is very little motion transfer - in fact, most of the time we can only tell the other person is moving because the covers move.

We assembled the mattress twice, first on the bare floor for a couple of days while we waited for the support system, then in the bed frame. I have to say it was a lot easier to do on the floor. I think it might be a little out of whack right now in the bed frame - the bottom of hub’s side seems to slope down a little, and I think the cover might not be as straight as it could be. Wrestling it around is a real workout.

In short, I am really, really happy with this decision and would recommend this mattress without reservation to someone considering latex.

Hi Zerbert,

Thanks for taking the time to share such a detailed update … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

It’s great to hear that you are sleeping well on your new mattress and now that you are past the break in and adjustment period it would be reasonable to expect that you will be sleeping well for many more years.

Phoenix