Comparing Ultimate Dreams Eurotop to Brooklyn Bedding Bamboo Bliss

Hi there,

I am looking to invest in a new mattress and, after reading some of your posts and threads, I am thinking of going with either the Ultimate Dreams Eurotop or the Brooklyn Bedding Bamboo Bliss. How do these two compare? I am 5’10", 230 lbs. I have had lower back/sciatic nerve problems in the past and want to find a mattress that will keep me pain free.

Thanks!

Hi Stew113,

You can see a comparison of them in post #16 here and the posts it links to. With your weight I would probably lean towards the Bamboo Bliss.

Phoenix

I have been looking at these two models as well in a King size. My husband and I are both side and back sleepers, he is 6’1" 240 lbs and I am 5’8" 145. I want to make sure that we get something that will support his weight appropriately. I am leaning towards the Bamboo Bliss but I am also considering the Ultimate Dreams Freedom since it can be adjusted differently on each side. I worry that having all latex might not be as supportive for his weight as the foam core of the Bamboo Bliss. I’m stuck on these three mattresses and can’t pull the trigger yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi kristinh,

Between the Eurotop and the Bamboo Bliss I would also be leaning towards the Bamboo Bliss with your husband’s higher weight.

All three of these mattresses can be split on each side in a king size mattress but the Freedom mattress allows this option with all the layers while the other two would only allow it for the latex comfort layer.

There are different types of support depending on whether you are talking about primary or “deep” support or secondary or “surface” support but in general terms latex is among the most supportive materials in the industry (it has a higher compression modulus or “support factor” than most polyfoam which is the rate that a mattress becomes firmer as you compress the material more deeply) as long as the layers and the design of the mattress are a suitable firmness for the person sleeping on it.

There is more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to each other and to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may be helpful in clarifying the different types of “support” and “pressure relief”.

Having said that … you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved to be able to predict with any certainty which combination of layers or components will be the best match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance”. When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer who can help “talk you through” the specific options they have available based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done (assuming you know the firmness of all the layers in the mattresses you have tested which may not always be possible to find out), and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences than anyone else.

The Bamboo Bliss and the Ultimate Dreams Eurotop also use Talalay latex and the Freedom mattress uses synthetic Dunlop so your preference between the “feel” of Talalay and Dunlop may also play a role in your choice between them. There is more about the difference between Talalay and Dunlop in post #7 here that may be helpful. Synthetic Dunlop will be closer to the “feel” of 100% natural Dunlop than it will to Talalay (see post #2 here).

The Freedom mattress also allows you to rearrange the layers and components in 12 different ways so you can customize the pressure relief and/or support of the mattress after a purchase without needing to exchange any layers while the Bamboo Bliss and the UD Eurotop allow you to customize the firmness of the latex comfort layer after a purchase with a layer exchange for a softer or firmer latex comfort layer.

There is more about the different ways to choose a mattress that is most suitable for you in terms of PPP (either online or local) and how to identify and minimize the risks involved in each of them in post #2 here.

Post #13 here also has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses and help you choose between your “finalists”.

While I can’t speak to the suitability of each of these mattresses in terms of PPP (they would be a much better source of guidance than I would) … I can certainly speak to the durability of the materials and in general synthetic Dunlop would be a more durable material than even good quality polyfoam and in durability terms would certainly be suitable for your husband’s weight and wouldn’t be a “weak link” in the mattress.

Phoenix