Comparison of "Plush"; innerspring vs. memory foam vs. latex

So I’m a 5’8" 150lbs male that exclusively sleeps on my side.

My local shop research had me “feeling” like tempurpedic “cloud luxe” and then the serta “well being refined” were the most comfortable; for a 15min lay down test. This more or less matches opinions that side sleepers should steer towards the more plush side of the mattress spectrum.

One small hitch. My girlfriend’s innerspring euro top is, according to phone calls the manufacturer - sealy, the “most plush thing they sell” - plush mattress and plush cushioning for the pillow/euro top. And I sleep terribly on it. My shoulder (and the arm attached) go numb while trying to side sleep on it.

So now I’m curious/alarmed. Are “plush” for memory foam and “plush” for innerspring two completely different experiences? Or rather, what are your guys and gals feelings on comparing them? I was pretty set to get the dream foam ultimate dreams 13" or latex topped bed by dream foam with an “8” level of firmness. But after this latest info, I’m having second thoughts… argh.

-richard

Hi rxb609,

There is no clear definition of “plush” or other more generalized firmness ratings and even the same mattress can feel and perform very differently to different people depending on body type, sleeping position, preferences, and sensitivities. It can also depend on the type of softness/firmness someone is most sensitive to (see post #15 here). Different mattress materials or designs can be even more different and subjective in terms of how they compare for different people. To make these types of comparisons more complex yet … memory foam mattresses can change how they feel depending on temperature, humidity, and the length of time they are compressed.

In general I would use your own careful and objective testing and personal experience to assess how soft or firm a mattress feels for you which may be very different from how it feels or performs for someone else or how a manufacturer rates it.

According to Dreamfoam and most of the feedback on the forum (although not every person may agree because once again there are many more subjective factors involved) … the Dreamfoam 13" gel memory foam would be similar to but just a little firmer than the Cloud Luxe although it may have a subjective “feel” that is different.

I would make sure that you take the time for a more detailed conversation with Dreamfoam (or any online manufacturer you are considering) and I would treat this as one of the most important parts of choosing a mattress online (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here) along with the other parts of your personal value equation that are also important to you.

Phoenix