Completely overwhelmed

We are moving to Waynesville, NC where there’s one mattress manufacturing company; http://www.coltonmattress.com/ . I’m looking for queen size latex mattress at an affordable price-meaning around $500. I don’t think these exist. Any suggestions other than buying at national retail stores?

Hi spkimball,

Latex mattresses at that price (which is a low budget mattress using any material much less latex) is unlikely to be available locally and would also be outside the range of even a latex/polyfoam hybrid mattress available online. Unfortunately your budget is too low for the type of mattress you are looking for.

Some of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area are listed in post #4 here.

Post #1 here has all the basic information, steps and guidelines that can help you make the best possible mattress choices including links to some of the better online mattress sources (including latex) that I’m aware of if you decide to go in that direction.

Phoenix

Many thanks. We tested mattresses at City Mattress while vacationing near Buffalo, NY. We previously bought from them in Florida Pranasleep and were very happy with that mattress. They can send us one one sale in North Carolina and we pay the shipping of course. We looked at their Pranasleep Asana PL 5 priced at 1649. We’re hoping to get a better deal from them or find a comparable mattress for less.

You’ve been very helpful.
Susan

Hi spkimball,

There are probably many better options than the Pranasleep line and you can see some comments about them in post #3 here and in this thread. A forum search on Pranasleep (you can just click this) will bring up more comments as well.

The Asana 5 has 2" of Talalay latex over a polyfoam base layer and they also tend to use a thick quilting layer on top which would be the weak link of the mattress. I would want to know the thickness and density of the quilting layer but as you can see in the linked thread they don’t disclose this. They are not particularly good value for the design and the thicker layers of polyfoam not only can take away from the “feel” of latex, they would also be fairly risky because polyfoam will soften and compress much more quickly than latex and the loss of comfort and support that comes from foam softening isn’t covered by warranty.

I would tend to look for other options that are similar in terms of materials but have better quality/value.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix, after reading and going to websites as posted, it seems like Ultimate Dreams Queen Eurotop Latex Mattress is close to the Prana. On Amazon it’s only 899 but what about a box spring? Are they necessary? Where would some good buys be on those which was included in the price of the Prana Lotus queen at 1800. It’s the shipping that’s so expensive to Waynesville at close to 400 for their “white glove”.

My pet peeve is that many of the manufacturers don’t include prices on their sites and I’m not ready to call them until I have more info.

Thanks again,
Susan

Hi spkimball,

The Ultimate Dreams Eurotop is also a latex/polyfoam hybrid and does have some very general similarities to the Pranasleep Asana although it has much better value and has an exchangeable comfort layer so it can be customized to your preference both before and after a purchase while the Asana is a finished mattress that can’t be changed or made softer or firmer after your purchase.

A box spring (the kind that flexes and has springs) isn’t necessary or even desirable in many cases with a latex or other type of foam mattress but you will need either a foundation or a firm even support system (such as a platform bed) that provides good even support for the mattress.

The foundation thread here includes more information and links to many good options.

This would put you in a catch 22 situation because if you are dealing with a good manufacturer or retailer with good experience and knowledge (which are the only ones I would normally deal with) … they are by far the best source of the very information you would need to make a good decision. They would know more about their mattresses than anyone else and talking to them is one of the first things I would do and in most cases you will find them to be an essential part of the process.

Phoenix

Avoid COLTON . THEY ARE UNREPUTABLE. They guarntee satisfaction but do not live up to their word.

Hi Wbailey,

When you make comments like these it’s important to provide the details about your experience with them and why you feel the way you do.

I’m sure you will understand that without more specifics nobody can decide for themselves whether any issues you may have with Colton are reasonable or legitimate.

Phoenix