Composite Latex Core of Domio Classic

Hi everyone. I am new to the site. It’s a very helpful site with tons of information about the bedding and mattresses. I am looking for a natural latex mattress in the Toronto area. I walked into the Dormio and saw a bed called classic series. It is 10 inch thick or 8 inch. It’s almost 60% of the price for any comparable mattress. Most queen size 8 inch natural latex mattress sold in Toronto area or Canada are at 3000. They have one just 1800. The sales told me that this series of mattresses are using composite cores, which means the core of 8-in latex is actually composed of 3 layer of latex glued together. Although it is claimed certified even the glue. But I am really suspicious whether the composite core is still considered as a nature thing. Is there any way to identify the glue is organic or something green? How does the composite core compared with Ikea 85% nature latex mattress?

I am a budget buyer. The price is really good for me. I just need more helpful information around the glue thing.

Thanks a lot!

Hi nliwma,

Welcome to the site :slight_smile:

As you may already know … Dormio is one of the members of this site which means that I think highly of them and I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, knowledge, service, and transparency.

Having said that … I’m not sure whether the information you mentioned is correct because their website lists the 8" Classic series as having a 6" bottom layer and a 2" top layer and the 10" classic series as having a 2" bottom layer, a 6" middle layer, and a 2" top layer. A mattress that has three 3" layers would be 9" thick and wouldn’t fit the description of any of their Classic Organic Collection so there may be some misunderstanding here.

Although there are certainly some exceptions … most latex mattresses use multiple layers of latex that have different firmness levels so that they are a better “match” for more people in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences). The softer upper layers can provide better pressure relief and the deeper layers can provide firmer support.

They would be a better source of information than I would about the specifics of their mattresses and any glue that they use but latex mattresses with glued layers or cores generally use latex (water based) glues that are non toxic and are very safe although they aren’t organic (there aren’t any organic glues). The latex in their Classic series is also GOLS certified organic latex which means that it’s 100% natural Dunlop (with no synthetic latex in the formulation) that has been certified organic and they also use a certified organic cotton cover. There is more about organic certifications in post #2 here.

If there is glue in the mattress it certainly wouldn’t be a safety concern.

Some of the Ikea mattresses use a continuous pour Dunlop latex that is 85% natural latex and 15% synthetic latex and doesn’t have an organic certification (synthetic latex can’t be certified organic) although it’s also a good quality and durable material as well. If you are asking about the Ikea Morgongava then it is also a single layer mattress with a less sophisticated design and doesn’t have a separate comfort layer so it may not be as suitable for those that prefer a softer comfort layer with a firmer support core. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

There is also more information about the 3 most important parts of “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability and PPP (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

Phoenix