Confused about which foundation is best for Memory Foam mattress

We’re about to pull the trigger on a Loom & Leaf King size firm and happy with our choice.
All the research we’ve done suggests we should have a slat system so the mattress can breathe. However Phoenix also says “The first and most simple option is to use a foundation that is recommended by the manufacturer of your mattress. Because the mattress manufacturer knows which type of foundation is suitable for their mattress and meets their warranty criteria … …”

Loom & Leaf only sells a solid wood foundation and I don’t understand why.
SO…should I go with theirs or buy a slatted system separately, such as KD or Flobed?

We are tossing our old metal frame and considering whether to go with a simple Knickerbocker Embrace frame with a foundation and a separate headboard purchased from Pier One (something inexpensive and decorative).
We would LOVE to go with just a simple low-profile platform bed with a built-in slat system and matching headboard, but they either seem like junk (that won’t support my large husband and/or squeak and eventually collapse), or higher-end such as Charles P. Rogers which come with bunky boards —which brings me back to the whole breath-ability question, or insanely expensive (I do not want to spend 3k on a frame!)

We went to many furniture stores yesterday and dealt with a lot of idiotic salespeople who only want to sell what’s on their floor (of course). We did not find one decent slatted bed system that we could actually check out in person, so will be stuck with ordering something online and unseen.

We have been researching options all week and just keep coming up with contradiction upon contradiction.

Help! We need to buy something to have in place before our bed gets delivered.

Hi chavala,

You can see some comments about the Loom & Leaf along with many of the other “simplified choice” online mattresses in post #2 here in the simplified choice mattress topic and the first post in the same topic would probably be worth reading as well. There are also some more detailed comments in post #5 here. A forum search on Loom Leaf (you can just click the link) will also bring up more comments and feedback about it as well.

You can see my comments about a solid surface support system under a mattress in post #10 here. While it’s true that they can add some additional risk because of the lack of ventilation under the mattress … in most cases if there aren’t any additional risk factors they would be fine. As an example I have an adjustable bed with a solid surface under my mattress but I don’t have any other significant risk factors so I don’t have any real concerns about any mold or mildew issues.

Platform beds are more of a furniture item which is somewhat outside the main focus of the forum and aren’t something that I spend a great deal of time researching since there are so many different options available and mattresses take up most of my available time.

Having said that … there are a few options listed towards the end of the foundation reference post here that may be helpful (although you probably won’t be able to test them in person either).

Phoenix

Thanks so much!
We ended up deciding on a Knickerbocker Embrace frame (monster support with 9 legs, and comes in different color resins – not your typical ugly metal frame).
On sale at Macy’s for $314
I also purchased a 5 1/2" low-profile slatted foundation from EZ Sleep for $380.
Interesting about that: US Boxspring sells the same exact product, and in fact appears to be the same family owned company in Phoenix, but for $95 more. They both have free shipping now. We were impressed that someone called a few minutes after the online order was made to tell us it would be shipped to us right away and asked if if we had any questions.

I didn’t even read your alternate suggestions to our Loom & Leaf mattress. It took us so long to do the research and make that decision the last thing I needed was MORE choices!

Thanks again – this site is amazing. Keep up the good work!

Hi chavala,

You’re right that the foundations are the same … and it is certainly a very good choice for a memory foam mattress.

I added the links to comments about Loom & Leaf in my previous reply just to make sure you were aware of the potential weak links in the mattress.

Phoenix