confused-Latex Mattresses

I have been researching Mattresses and have become further confused the more I read. Brooklyn Bedding uses two layers, a core and a top which can be interchanged to adjust the firmness. I want an all organic or natural mattress. Sleep Ez uses several layers that allow you to adjust the firmness by taking the lower level layers and putting them on top. It seems that these are two different approaches and I would think one would have to be a better system than the other. Yet both get great reviews here. It was suggested that having more layers could create an uneven or off balance support in the long run. I was looking at the essence bed as well as the Organic Latex 13000 from ez sleep both CalKingsā€¦ Im in Los Angeles and these would be online purchases without trying them, which worries me. Lastly I have read not so great articles about the smell these mattresses give off, sometimes lasting weeks if not longer and some say Natural doesnt smell as bad as synthetic and others say just the opposite. Can anyone share their experience long term with these beds and anything else I may be missing or need to know thank you

Hi mike7,

Post #1 here links to all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices.

You can read more about the different types of latex in post #6 here. All of them are Oeko-Tex certified for any offgassing and harmful substances but there will still be some smell in the short term. Dunlop tends to smell more like rubber and Talalay has more of a sweeter smell. Neither smell is harmful and both dissipate (although the Dunlop can take a little longer to dissipate below what you are able to smell.

Some of the better options and possibilities in the Los Angeles area where you can test many different types or layerings of latex mattresses and become more familiar with them are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

I appreciate the reply but im not sure my questions were answered. The layering system where these companies allow you to change the layers are different as noted above one has two layers the other has four layers. The ability to change the layers seems like a positive yet the companies you listed near los angeles dont offer that in addition do more layers mean more trouble in stability as Brookly Bedding suggests
The companies you listed for the most part do not use all latex or as in one case is a retailer for sealy serta simmons etc. In addition many are an hour or more away, however there is one retailer nearby that seems to have latex mattress that I can at least try.

Hi mike7,

The options of re-arranging or exchanging more layers allows for more adjustments of the mattress. You can read a little more about this in post #2 here.

I donā€™t know of any people who choose a 12" latex mattress that is suitable for their body type and sleeping positions that have had any issues with stability but it could also depend on the firmness and thickness of the layers. A mattress that thick with softer layers could be ā€œjello likeā€ to some people.

You can also read a little more about the potential benefits of a thicker mattress in post #14 here.

Several of the manufacturers or retailers in the general Los Angeles area list make or carry latex mattresses where you can choose your own layers including Foam Sweet Foam (better value), Ergocomfort, and PJSsleep and would be worthwhile visiting if they are within driving range.

Phoenix