Confused on latex mattress feel

Hi All,

I have been using a Simmons Beautyrest Recharge Shakespeare Firm Mattress for about a year. It was only meant to be for a few months until i could find something better, however I have procrastinated. In doing research I came across your site, and have found it to be an excellent source of information.

Some facts about myself first. I’m 5 10 1/2" and weigh 280Ibs, though my weight has been decreasing (over 100lbs so far) due to lifestyle changes.

I have decided on a Sleepez 13000 with the following layers Medium, Firm, XFirm, XFirm as I sleep on my back, and after reading the tutorials i think those layers would support my current weight. Another good selling point is as my weight goes down i could always change a layer.

What my research hasn’t quite told me is a general idea of what the difference in feel of latex is over an innerspring mattress. I’ve seen conflicting descriptions of what latex feels like to sleep on, but was wondering if anyone had an impression on what the transition from innerspring to latex is like?

Hi Otrixx,

You are certainly making a great quality/value choise that would be durable enough for your higher weight range and would also be “in the range” that would be suitable in terms of PPP as well based on the “averages” of other people that are similar to you in terms of body type and sleeping style.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

“Feel” is very subjective and relative to each person so you would have a wide range of opinions about how the two types of mattresses will compare. There is more about how an innerspring support core compares to latex support cores in very general terms in post #28 here and the posts it links to but there are so many variations of both types of mattresses that it would be impossible to make more specific comparisons because it would really depend on the specifics of two mattresses you are comparing including the specifics of the innerspring and on the materials and layers that are on top of the innerspring (which will make a significant difference in how an innerspring mattress feels and performs) and on the type and combination of the latex layers in a mattress you are compariing it to.

How two mattresses will compare will also depend on the body type, sleeping positions, and the individual preferences and sensitivities of each person. The best way to know how they would compare for you at least in very general terms (regardless of how they may compare for others who may have a different experience on the same mattresses) would be based on testing a range of both types of mattresses locally.

Phoenix