Considering a Brooklyn Bedding purchase - best place to look for simple box springs and frame?

We are upgrading to a King bed but are not ready to purchase a full bedroom set yet. It doesn’t appear that Brooklyn Bedding offers springs or a simple frame in addition to the mattress. What is a good place to look for these? Anything I should consider when making this purchase?

Thanks!

Hi collinsmaddie,

There is more about the different types of support systems that are generally suitable for different types of mattresses and some examples and sources for each of them in post #1 here.

In very general terms a firm, flat, non flexing slatted or wire grid support surface that is strong enough to support the mattress and the people sleeping on it and that has good center support to the floor and where any gaps in between the load bearing surfaces aren’t large enough to allow the mattress to sink in between them would be suitable. The firmer the support surface and the greater the load bearing surface the better and having some ventilation under the mattress is usually a good idea as well (see post #10 here).

Phoenix

Thank you!

We are trying to be as economical as possible with the foundation purchase, because we will likely get new bedroom furniture in the next year (we just donated our furniture to our oldest daughter’s room).

Do you have any thoughts about this particular foundation? http://www.sears.com/luminite-16-piece-square-dinnerware-collection/p-00802450000P?prdNo=10&blockNo=10&blockType=G10

This also appears to be an option for an all-in-one (foundation plus frame): http://www.sears.com/night-therapy-standing-smartbox-spring-king/p-00818289000P?prdNo=6&blockNo=6&blockType=G6

Thank you again for your help.

With the bowed slat network, the weak points tend to be the plastic pieces where the slats clip in, and the legs. The steel isn’t very thick, but this isn’t attempting to be a robust heavy-duty item. The slats are close enough together.

The all-steel unit with the cover will have stronger feet but there are fewer cross members on top. Again, the steel isn’t very robust.

How about something like this?

Hi collinmaddie,

I would agree with Jeff about this platform foundation. I am somewhat suspicious about the strength and durability of these types of lower cost flexible slat support systems either because of the flexible slats themselves (a foam mattress will tend to do best with a rigid non flexing support system), the slats themselves or the plastic slat holders (which can break), or the strength of the legs which can sometimes bend. Some people may also be able to feel the rigid center support beam where there is no flex in the support system through the mattress. They can also change the feel and response of a mattress compared to a rigid non flexing support system because of the additional flex under the mattress. This certainly wouldn’t be my first choice.

I also agree with Jeff that this would be a better choice than the first option you linked because there would be no flex in the foundation.

The foundation that Jeff linked would certainly be a better choice than either of the other two that you mentioned and it has a larger surface area to support the mattress relative to the “gaps” in the support surfaces of the other two but of course it’s more costly as well.

Phoenix

I’m sure that would work just fine since we can use the box springs on whatever bedroom set we purchase down the road. I assume the assembly is easy if no tools are required.

As far as getting the box spring and mattress off the floor, where can I look for a cheap frame to hold it off the ground until we buy a bedroom suite?

Thank you all for your help again.

Hi collinsmade,

I don’t have any specific suggestions but there are some guidelines for choosing a steel bedframe in post #10 here that should be helpful.

Phoenix

Thank you again and sorry to continue hassling you. I’m thinking of going with the SP66A shown here:

I like the adjustable height (the higher the better for us) and it seems like an economical choice for a heavy duty bedframe. Any problems you know of with the adjustable gliders as opposed to the fixed ones?

Don’t go too cheap with the frame. Thin 1.25" angle iron can bend and single head-to-toes rails can provide inadequate support. You’d be better off placing the foundations on the floor than getting a too cheap frame.

You should be able to pickup something like this Mantua ICS-375 or the like in the $69-$89 range locally. Less supportive than that, I’d opt for no frame.

I think the one linked in my previous post from Zoro Tools is $89 (plus you can find coupons online), so that is perfectly reasonable. Just want to make sure going with the adjustable is okay.

Any other box springs that would work well for a little less than the $380? If not, we will go with the one you linked.

By the way, researching your company - do you mind if I ask what the price of a Pure Latex Bliss mattress (King) would run during your current promotion? Thank you again for your help.

It’s a good frame. I recommend using Teflon tape on the threads of the adjustable glides or a lock nut to keep them from rotating and changing height if you move the frame. It’s a good thick steel stem.

Check your PM.

Hi collinsmaddie,

You can also see some comments about the Zoro bedframe in post #6 here. I agree with Jeff that it would certainly make a suitable choice.

Your mattress has a polyfoam base layer which isn’t as flexible as a latex support core so while some of the “wire grid” support systems would be a little more risky (they will allow the foam to sink into the gaps more than a wood slat foundation) … they would generally make a suitable lower budget choice for your mattress.

Something like the vinyl lattice like this could also help increase the surface area and improve the support under the mattress if you purchase a support system where the surface area is a little less than ideal.

Phoenix