Cool Mattress Recommendation

Hey all!

I was hoping you could recommend me a few different mattresses to look at that sleep cool. I previously purchased the Brooklyn Bedding #BestMattressEver medium firmness about a year back and have been a bit hot on it and also felt it was a bit firm. I know they recently changed their formulation so if you guys think it’s cooler now, I’m happy to take another look. If it’s relevant, I’m 6’0", 180 pounds, and a side/stomach sleeper.

Thanks!

Hi Shadow6363,

In very general terms … the materials, layers, and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow, moisture transport, and temperature regulation than materials, layers, and components that are further away from your skin, and softer mattresses or foam toppers will tend to be more “insulating” and for some people can sleep warmer than firmer versions of the same material.

With that being said, it’s not really possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on sleeping temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and on where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range and because there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials.

There is more detail about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range. That would be your best place to start.

Phoenix