Coolest sheets?

I wanted some opinions on what is the coolest sheets?

I think i’ve narrowed it down to Bamboo, Egyptian Cotton, or maybe Linen from Flax?

Not sure what’s the coolest and also the comfiest of these.

Thanks!

I don’t have a lot of experience with different kinds of sheets like Bamboo or Linen or Flax. Mostly just cotton. What I DO know from experience is that my favorite sheet is a cotton Percale sheet. They are my favorite because they are the coolest I have slept on and I love a cool, slick sheet.

Last year when I shopped for new sheets I researched this and I ended up finding some at Tuesday MOrnings… I don’t remember the brand but they are some kind of anti-allergy ionic sheet. That’s not why I got them. I got them b/c they are percale. I love them. They are 100% cotton percale sheets. They wrinkle but I don’t care about that. They took a couple or three washings to soften up to how I like them, but any sheet will… well maybe not bamboo, I dunno.

anyway I think percale is the way to go, though I have felt the bamboo before and they have that similar slick feel that I like about the percale … so maybe they would sleep cool too?

Out of these options and realistically the coolest in general are good quality Linen sheets made from flax. The best linen comes from Northern France and Belgium (could be woven elsewhere) and you want the good quality long line fibre which unfortunately drives up the cost considerably as it takes longer to grow and basically renders the farm useless for other crops for that year.

Just bear in mind that if you go with Linen you really need to break it in, but the cost could be well worth it as they are also much more durable than any other vegetable fibre, they last a long time.

Out of these sheet options:
Bamboo very soft - not really so durable. Breathability comparable to cotton.
Egyptian Cotton - the real deal will be very soft and expensive, phony Egpytian cotton sheet sets sell cheap all the time, just keep in mind that less than 0.25% of the worlds cotton supply is genuine egyptian cotton and yet you see it everywhere, price usually does tell you what you get. Single ply sheets will be more breathable than 2 or 3 ply, so typically you do not want to go above 300 thread count if you want a cool sheet.
Linen - highest upfront cost, thermally far superior, most durable. will become pleasantly soft in time - studied by Cambridge university to be the most appropriate material for bed sheets.

Hi jaswhite,

Budgy is perhaps the most knowledgeable person I know when it comes to bedding (much more so than I am) so there is little I could add to anything he had to say :slight_smile:

Post #7 here also has some good information and links to other resources as well.

I would also vote for linen as the coolest.

Phoenix

[quote=“budgy” post=14063]Out of these options and realistically the coolest in general are good quality Linen sheets made from flax. The best linen comes from Northern France and Belgium (could be woven elsewhere) and you want the good quality long line fibre which unfortunately drives up the cost considerably as it takes longer to grow and basically renders the farm useless for other crops for that year.

Just bear in mind that if you go with Linen you really need to break it in, but the cost could be well worth it as they are also much more durable than any other vegetable fibre, they last a long time.

Out of these sheet options:
Bamboo very soft - not really so durable. Breathability comparable to cotton.
Egyptian Cotton - the real deal will be very soft and expensive, phony Egpytian cotton sheet sets sell cheap all the time, just keep in mind that less than 0.25% of the worlds cotton supply is genuine egyptian cotton and yet you see it everywhere, price usually does tell you what you get. Single ply sheets will be more breathable than 2 or 3 ply, so typically you do not want to go above 300 thread count if you want a cool sheet.
Linen - highest upfront cost, thermally far superior, most durable. will become pleasantly soft in time - studied by Cambridge university to be the most appropriate material for bed sheets.[/quote]

Hi Budgy,

I am also in the market for getting some new sheets for my new King size mattress that will arrive on 03/08. I want the best sheets that is available. I am curious about your opinion on the 100% Belgian linen sheets from Libeco. I want to purchase over the weekend.

Additionally there is a post that talks about the 100% Belgian linen sheets from Libeco (See below).

https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/sheets

Silk sheets are cool and of course smoother than linen. Make sure it’s 100% mulberry silk, and not “satin” or some other synthetic fiber.

Do you have any recommendation on a specific manufacturers and a specific line? I want to purchase over the weekend…

I can’t personally recommend where to buy; I have slept on silk sheets but never purchased any. I’m getting ready to buy a new set and still deciding where to purchase. A silk-filled comforter and silk pajamas as well. $$$ :slight_smile:

You might start with this website, which has a lot of good info on silk (the “Silk Buying Guide” tab).
http://www.silksheets.net/

Amazon has a few sellers of silk bedding as well.

I also sleep very hot and although the new latex mattress/wool cover has pretty much taken care of that, with summer coming I’m looking for cool bedding as well. Somehow I’d forgotten about silk! Like wool, silk has good temperature regulation and moisture wicking properties. Plus it feels so good. :slight_smile:

Once I get mine will let everyone know how we like them.

[quote=“Sleepy1” post=14530]I can’t personally recommend where to buy; I have slept on silk sheets but never purchased any. I’m getting ready to buy a new set and still deciding where to purchase. A silk-filled comforter and silk pajamas as well. $$$ :slight_smile:

You might start with this website, which has a lot of good info on silk (the “Silk Buying Guide” tab).
http://www.silksheets.net/

Amazon has a few sellers of silk bedding as well.

I also sleep very hot and although the new latex mattress/wool cover has pretty much taken care of that, with summer coming I’m looking for cool bedding as well. Somehow I’d forgotten about silk! Like wool, silk has good temperature regulation and moisture wicking properties. Plus it feels so good. :slight_smile:

Once I get mine will let everyone know how we like them.[/quote]

Is there a reason why you choose silk over linen?

Primarily because I like the “feel” of silk better. It is softer and smoother and doesn’t require a “break in” period like linen does. Because it’s so smooth, it won’t muss your hair while you sleep and is easy on your skin (there’s a reason movie stars always sleep on silk :slight_smile: ) My understanding is that silk is also superior in terms of moisture-wicking, temperature-regulation, and resistance to dust-mites. All of these are issues for me. Both are expensive and require extra care in washing.

Hi Sleep1,

While silk is definitely soft and cool to the touch initially … silk sheets have a finer weave and are less breathable than linen and can also warm up when you sleep on them. In terms of temperature regulation I think most people would say that linen was superior to silk although both are great choices.

Phoenix

I found this site that sells Mulberry silk sheets and they also sell on Amazon… The Amazon reviews are great, but I am still leaning toward the linen sheets made by linoto.com… Feedback please…

http://www.feelingpampered.com/

Thanks Phoenix. I guess because I read that silk has better moisture-wicking, holding, and evaporative properties (don’t know if it’s true of course), that that would translate into cooler sleeping for someone who tends to sleep hot and wake up sweaty. Probably the only way to know for sure is to try both…:slight_smile:

[quote=“pglover19” post=14556]I found this site that sells Mulberry silk sheets and they also sell on Amazon… The Amazon reviews are great, but I am still leaning toward the linen sheets made by linoto.com… Feedback please…

http://www.feelingpampered.com/[/quote]

Looks like those sheets cover all the bases: 19 momme (the best weight for sheets), 100% mulberry charmeuse (the best quality), and a great price. I had found them on Amazon too (same price); I always like to read reviews.

I also found these sheets, which are probably the same sheets but not on sale (some good info on the website though):
http://www.lovasilk.com/silk-bedding/silk-sheet-sets/silk-sheet-queen.html

I am still leaning toward to the custom linen sheets made by Linoto… Feedback please…

Hi Sleep1,

Yes to the properties of linen and another yes to trying both would be the best way to know for any particular person.:slight_smile:

@pglover,

Bouncing back and forth between sheet threads :slight_smile:

Just in case you haven’t seen it … post #16 and #17 in the “other” active sheet thread may be of interest as well.

Phoenix

And I’m a nut about cool and clear sheets - I hate sateen or slippery sheets. Cool, clean sheets make a big difference in the way I sleep in warm weather. I love bamboo sheets and I have a set of really godly bamboo sheets. Even if you have those types, however, you should check carefully.

Here is a link that might be helpful 8 Best Bamboo Sheets Reviewed in Detail (Winter 2023)