Cooling mattress topper

Hi Phoenix -

I just upgraded from an old hard spring mattress to a memory foam (the Isoform foam mattress to be specific). The bed is definitely more confortable than my old spring mattress. but the old spring mattress stayed significantly cooler throughout the night. The memory foam mattress sleeps just a little hot.

Do you have any recommentations for a topper that can keep my foam mattress feeling cooler to sleep on throughout the night? Your insight and recommendation would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!

Hi wh200,

Memory foam tends to be the warmest (least breathable) of the foam materials (memory foam, polyfoam, latex foam) but there are also other factors (including your sheets and mattress protector) that can make a difference in the sleeping temperature of a mattress that you can read about in post #2 here.

I would keep in mind though that there may be tradeoffs involved because if you add a topper or mattress pad to your memory foam mattress for the sake of temperature regulation then the thicker it is the more it can reduce the amount heat that reaches the memory foam and because memory foam is heat sensitive it may increase the firmness of the memory foam below it or slow down its response time before it softens with your body heat. Natural fibers are more breathable than most synthetic fibers and tend to sleep cooler whether they are in a mattress cover, in your protector, or used in your sheets. If using these don’t affect the temperature enough … then adding a thin more breathable topper may be worth the tradeoff of it’s effect on the feel and performance of your mattress and of course thinner is better in terms of how much it may affect the memory foam.

Post #89 here has more information about the different types of mattress protectors and post #7 here and the posts it links to has more about sheets and different types of fabrics.

Phoenix

Its old topic but I now have same dilema. I used to have a foam topper and it was hot so I threw it out. Now my doctor told me to get a mattress topper or a new mattress with a thick pillow top. I have always used a plush mattress pad over my mattress or topper. It gets hot and humid here so I am want to get another topper one of this 10 Best Cooling Mattress Topper Reviews: [2020 Choice] so which better?