Core Question

In doing additional research, learning more about the core choices companies are using with the latex. Some are using HD foam, some are using Dunlop or Talalay core all which appear to be 6" or so and then putting the standard 3" topper of your choice on it. Then I stumble across this statement from a company:

At the base we start with a 5-zone natural latex core, targeting the area of your lumbar with extra support while providing more contouring softness to the bony structure of your shoulders.

Is this something unique a company has to do in the molding process or is this inherent with standard Dunlop core products in Natural or Synthetic blend latex cores. I understand the concept of pressure point relief. It just seems that once you throw a 3" latex topper on nearly anything, seems hard to notice what is underneath supporting it. Just wanted to understand how the cores are made before I start asking companies that do not mention this 5 zone core and just a straight core.

I believe that the company in question is simply bonding (latex glue) sections of latex together to design their “zone” core. FWIW I suppose it’s possible to pour a sheet of latex with different levels of firmness (the density of the pins in the mold would have to vary), but probably not cost effective. It doesn’t matter whether it’s Dunlop or Talalay (Blend or Natural) Latex.

Flobeds does something similar and they call it “V Zone”. They use this layer of latex on the very top of their configuration and the sections are attached to the layer below it via velcro.

I agree about questioning as to whether or not you would be able to feel it but it probably depends upon the number of, and thickeness of the layers which go on top of their core.

My $.02

Hi rbev2308,

Zoned cores can be made with a zoned mold, with fabricated sections, or with various cut outs or surface modifications.

Zoning can make either a small or a significant difference in alignment depending on the specifics of the zoning and on how well it matches the needs and preferences of the person on the mattress. Zoning is typically done with support layers (innersprings, polyfoam, or latex) although it can also be used with comfort layers and it would certainly still have some effect with a 3" comfort layer over it although again it would depend on the specifics of the zoning.

Comfort/pressure relief is what you feel when you first lie on a mattress and support/alignment is what you feel when you wake up in the morning and zoning is usually more about alignment than “comfort” although it affects both because it allows for the use of softer layers under pressure points.

There is more about zoning in this article and in post #11 here.

Phoenix