correcting mattress

Im thinking my last questions was a bit vague. i am looking for advice on how to correct my mattress. We have 6 inches medium latex with 3 inches soft latex on top of the core. (sleep on latex) It is on a even slated frame with small spaces .
Both my husband and myself have pain in back, I am mostly feeling pain in hips and shoulders, feels like my shoulders and neck should sink in more ? but I’m not sure if what I’m feeling is what I need. My body never feels relaxed in the bed, it feels like I’m being pushed against if that makes sense.
I don’t want to buy a new bed unless I have to, I’m thinking maybe a tally topper could fix the bed but am worried it won’t and i will be out that money. Any suggestions on how to go about fixing the bed would be great.

Hi alasearwax,

I’m sorry you’re sleeping uncomfortably on your mattress. The last I recall, you had purchased a Nature’s Embrace all-latex mattress after considering some other firm 6" core products (I think in the 40-44 ILD range). And now it seems that you have placed a soft Dunlop topper on top of this product. Is that correct?

Unfortunately, I wouldn’t be able to diagnose what might be your issue or the cause of your discomfort, as there are entirely too many personal variables involved, including items such as your BMI, somatotype, sleeping style, levels of flexibility, core strength, sensitivities, and preexisting conditions. All I can speak of would be the general reasons for certain “symptoms” when sleeping upon a mattress (see post #2 here).

If you feel that your mattress is too firm and that you need more comfort layers, or softer comfort layers, or both, this could be accomplished by adding a “transition” layers between your topper and base support core. I’m not sure of the ILD/density of your latex pieces, but something that is “in between” the ILD of your topper and base support core would be a common progressive construction. Depending upon the level of plushness you desire to increase, 2" or 3" would be common.

If you’re considering adding another “plush” layer on top of your current setup, my concern would be to avoid having “too deep” of a comfort cradle on top for your sleeping position, so leaning toward a 2" layers versus a 3" layer of the plush may be advisable, for a total of 5" of “plush” latex on top of your support core.

While you don’t seem to express this as a cause of your issues, another common cause of back pain on a mattress can be something that is not supportive enough, and if this happened to be the case it might mean that you’d need to replace your support core with something firmer, but again this doesn’t seem to be the issue with your comments. Shoulder pain can also be pillow related, and I think you were having some difficulty previously in finding an appropriate pillow.

As far as instructions for selecting a topper, there is more information about choosing a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to, which along with a conversation with a reliable and knowledgeable supplier (that can provide you with good information about how their toppers compare to each other or to other toppers they are familiar with that are available on the market), can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success.

Because of the uncertainty involved with purchasing a topper where you can’t test the combination in person … a good exchange/return policy can also reduce the risk of an online topper purchase so I would also make sure you are comfortable with the options you have available after a purchase to exchange or return the topper and any costs involved just in case a topper you choose also doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for. There are links to topper suppliers and some with return policies in the link I provided in the previous paragraph.

Phoenix

Hi and thanks. Hope I am replying to this in the correct place. I have more info in case that changes anything.
So the nature’s embrace we gave to our son. Our mattress we ordered from sleep on latex. We have a 6 inch medium(30idl) core and on top of that we have 3 inches of soft(19idl)
It is in a cotton case(diy method)
We have the mattress on wooden slats that are close together.
We have tried taking the 3 inches of soft off and sleeping that way to check if it was too soft, it was very uncomfortable.
We have also moved to floor to make sure it was not the frame.

We are both above average weight, I am short my husband tall. My husband’s pain is in the upper back, mine is upper back and hips. We both feel like we don’t sink into the bed enough.

I know it is very hard to diagnose this way so thank you for the advice.
I guess I am wondering if adding more layers could help or if we should just try over with a new mattress. Any suggestions are appreciated!
Has anyone out there had an issue like this and we’re able to correct with a new layer ?

I am wrong. It seems my core is probably firm not medium so 40 idl

Hi alasearwax,

With a 3" very plush layer of 19" over a 6" 40 ILD latex core, and at a higher BMI, this would make sense (as one of the solutions I pointed out in my earlier reply) that you would desire a transition layer between your top latex and the core, as you are in essence “feeling through” the upper comfort layer to the very firm core, and while you are not compressing the upper layer completely, the softness of the compressed ILD of that layer is still quite a bit softer than the initial ILD of the support core beneath it. So it would make sense that a more substantial transition layer, let’s say 3", of a more medium latex could provide a better ability for you to “bend into” each layer and match up better, allowing more for your shoulders and hips to sink in a bit without negatively impacting alignment. The mattress then can compress from softer to firmer more gradually which means that there is more “range” of compression without the mattress becoming too firm for heavier weights (or parts of the body).

Post #3 here has more information and suggestions about heavier weights that is worth reading.

Also, you may wish to reevaluate your pillow, as this can have a very direct impact upon shoulder comfort, making sure that your current pillow allows for a more “neutral” cervical/upper thoracic alignment.

Phoenix

Thank you so much! i will try a layer of med. between my 2 layers and see if that helps. I have tried so many pillows its crazy! shredded latex, many reg poly ones, buckwheat. If anyone on here has a magic pillow suggestion id love to know. I have read the topics on pillows here but am still lost on finding one that works.

One last question …if i can’t get the bed to work with a new layer we are thinking about trying a coil latex combo. Is there a link here for a diy method?
also, parts from canada would be great but i have not been able to find them while googling. If there are any links here i haven’t found that would help with any of that just tell me I’m blind and to keep searching the site!
Also, would a higher BMI effect a coil latex combo? i was thinking (if needed) coil, 3 inch med latex over that and maybe 2 inches of soft as a topper.

Hi alasearwax,

Whether you’re considering an all-latex product or one using an innerspring unit, I would still start your DIY research by reading option 3 in post #15 here and the posts it links to (and option #1 and #2 as well) so that you have more realistic expectations and that you are comfortable with the learning curve, uncertainty, trial and error, or in some cases the higher costs that may be involved in the DIY process.

Regarding component suppliers, while not inclusive, there are some options listed here, with a few Canadian sources here. Unfortunately, I don’t keep a record of the individual component suppliers in the hundreds of lists throughout the forum or have available online, as it would be a bigger job than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market.

BTW, sorry about addressing you as “Al’s Ear Wax” in my earlier reply. :woohoo: I corrected it.

Phoenix