Cosleeping on Pure Echo?

Hi Meeshy,

I would certainly agree with this because wool and cotton that hasn’t been chemically treated is certainly safe, OekoTex doesn’t certify innersprings, and any latex in a mattress (which this one doesn’t have) would already be OekoTex tested so there wouldn’t be much point when it is already clear that all the materials are safe and don’t have any issues with chemicals or safety.

In most cases the semi breathable membrane type of protectors would be generally considered to be safe although the polyester may have some VOC’s and the polyurethane may as well. There are also versions of membranes or protectors which use vinyl which I would avoid and of course “safe” depends on what each person considers to be acceptable risk and some people may consider them to be less safe than others. This is where OekoTex or an organic certification may come in handy. All of the Protect-A-Bed protectors that have the “semi permeable” membrane are OekoTex certified. There are also organic versions that are listed in post #89 here but they are more costly.

Anything that is waterproof will also be less breathable and allow for less airflow and this is just one of the tradeoffs that are part of choosing a waterproof protector. Some of the wool protectors or puddle pads are “water resistant” but not “waterproof” but they would be more breathable and wick moisture away from the body more effectively.

If you were shipping the products across the border it would depend on the shipping method. There is no customs duties but you would pay GST and a brokerage charge that varies with each delivery company or courier. If something is mailed then there is only a very low brokerage charge ($5 if memory serves me right) but in most cases a mattress needs to be sent by courier or standard truck shipping. If you take it across the border yourself then it would depend on your exemption (see here). If you are outside of the country for 24 hours then the exemption where you don’t have to pay is $200 and if you are outside the country for 48 hours or more then the exemption is $800. You can call them just to confirm a mattress would be included in your exempt amount.

Phoenix