Cost of Mattress

Is a store allowed to keep the money paid for a mattress when an exchange is made for a lower priced mattress because no other suitable mattress can be found in the same price range. All the other mattresses in the same price range do not come in a double ? or mattresses in the same price range were not compatible with an adjustable bed frame ,that was purchased at the time of original mattress purchase. at the same store. I was told that I will be required to pay extra if the mattress was a higher price, which is fair, but if the new choice was a lower price the store is going to keep the extra amount I paid for the mattress I need to return??? Is this fair? legal?

Hi Manitoba,

Return/exchange policies vary greatly from store to store (and some stores don’t allow exchanges or returns at all) but when you purchase a mattress you are also agreeing to the terms of the exchange/return policy at the store you purchase from so it’s always important to make sure that you know what it is before you make a purchase. The exchange/return policy is also a hidden cost that is part of the price you pay for a mattress and the majority of customers that don’t exchange or return a mattress are the ones that pay for the minority of customers that do. You can read more comments about exchange/return policies in post #9 here and in post #6 here and in post #25 here.

In your case though I understand that you purchased your mattress from Sleep Country and they have a 120 day exchange/return policy that allows you to return the mattress for a refund within 120 days of delivery for a fee of $149.99 and if I was in your shoes that’s exactly what I would do so you can purchase a better quality/value mattress from a different retailer or manufacturer.
ADMIN NOTE:Redirect from: Archived Footprint: sleepcountry.com/exchanges-returns/equity-returns-exchanges.html

If you let me know your city or postal code I’d also be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix