Could someone tell me which of these 2 would be better please?

Hi,
I am looking for some advise. I have read many posts on here but I still am a bit confused.
I need a new mattress for a guest room with a single bed with a plywood as the base on the bed.
Most guests are here for a 2 day stay sometimes my Mother in law for a week.
Now my big problem, budget only allows me in the 250.00 price range.
I need to buy this quickly. Can someone help

Here in Canada

COSTCO has for 259.99—8 inch —37 pounds

2.5 inch premium memory foam
1.5 inch visco latex
4 inch HD foam base

IKEA has for 199.00 —7 1/8 inch thick - 29 pounds

HR Polyurethane foam (Cold foam 2.2 lbs. CF)

Polyurethane foam  ( 1.7 lbs CF)

Hi Joan237,

Post #13 here has more information about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase that can help you decide which one would be better value to you.

Since your mattress is for a guest room and not for someone in particular then PPP wouldn’t be relevant because there isn’t a particular person that will be sleeping on the mattress.

That means that you would need to compare them based on the quality of the materials along with the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

This seems to be the Novaform memory foam mattress here which uses 1.5" of 3 lb memory foam and 2" of 1.5 lb polyfoam which are both lower quality materials. These would normally be a weak link in a mattress although in this price range they would be an “OK” choice because they will only be used less frequently if they are a guest mattress so durability may be less important.

Since you are buying from Costco you won’t be able to count on the guidance of the customer service there to help you make the best firmness choice for your guests so it will really be a roll of the dice (see post #4 here about buying from Costco). The only good news in buying from Costco is that you get a free roll of the dice because they have a great return policy so if the mattress doesn’t seem to be a reasonable firmness choice based on your own “best judgement” then you can return it.

These specs are also somewhat incomplete and don’t include the thickness or order of the layers but for a mattress in this price range they are fine in terms of quality/density and there wouldn’t be any obvious weak links in this mattress although I don’t know how it will feel for your guests. The Morgedal also comes in a firm and medium firm version (see page 8 here and post #61 here) and I would probably choose the medium firm if you decide on this mattress because it would be a better match for a wider range of guests “on average”. This uses higher quality and more durable materials than the Costco Novaform.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer.

I have read your post #13 and after reading I was also thinking the Ikea choice perhaps was a bit better than the costco one considering the types of foam.
The fact that it is a little less money is also a bonus.

I realize that this is not what most people are looking for in terms of quality but with my budget and being a guest room I think I will go with Ikea.

I sure like the costco return policy though.(LOL)

Hi Joan237,

There are many people that don’t like sleeping on memory foam and besides using higher quality and more durable materials and not having any weak links … the Ikea mattress would also be a more “neutral” choice for a guest bedroom IMO.

Phoenix

Phoenix

Thanks,
I was surprised to see that novaform mattress on costco site. I had not seen it before.
The one I was actually referring to is called the relax twin mattress.

Are they very different in your opinion.
Am I still better with ikea or is the relax better than than the novaform.

Hi Joan237,

[quote]Thanks,
I was surprised to see that novaform mattress on costco site. I had not seen it before.
The one I was actually referring to is called the relax twin mattress.[/quote]

I guess that accounts for why the specs were different from the ones you listed :slight_smile:

The Relax twin mattress doesn’t list the density of the materials so I can’t make any meaningful comments about it (see this article for the information I would need). Based on the description that mentions “Green Tea” and charcoal though it appears to be a Zinus mattress which is a Chinese manufacturer that makes many different brands and most of them also use lower quality/density materials than I would be comfortable with and they would likely also be lower quality and less durable materials than the Ikea mattress.

Phoenix