cover for latex mattress

I consulted this forum for help on finding a latex mattress and it worked! I’m so happy I did this and forever grateful. Now I need to find a cover that will be of similar quality as it seems I really need one. I don’t think I need to protect myself so much - not worried a lot about bedbugs or dust mites, but I want to protect the mattress and still be comfortable. I want something not too thick but of natural fibers. Any suggestions?

By “cover”, I assume you are referring to a mattress protector since you just purchased a new latex mattress from Spindle, correct?

If so, The St. Dormier wool protector is fantastic. Very thin and stretchy so it won’t interfere with the feel of the latex. It’s wool which meets your requirement for a natural fiber and it definitely helps with temperature regulation (won’t sleep hot).

It costs a bit more than other mattress protectors, but you get what you pay for.

I purchased mine from Flobeds, but other sites carry it as well.

Yes, from Spindle…how did you know? The St. Dormier, I will check it out, I think Neal from Spindle mentioned it. I was thinking of cotton as we have the wool cover now, but I’ll check that one out.

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.

Hi Whitelotus,

As jkozlow3 mentioned … assuming that you mean a mattress protector (since your mattress already has a cover) … post #89 here has more about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors. Based on your comments I also think that the Dormier would make a very good choice.

Phoenix

I checked out the St. Dormier that jkozlow mentioned, had seen it online earlier tonight and dismissed it as I was looking for cotton. But I see that this one is cotton covered wool and all washable, sounds quite nice.

I’m a little concerned that it may be too deep as our mattress is 10". It’s been really hard finding sheets for that same reason, so it’s a concern having too much fabric shifting about.

But I like this idea, Neal recommends a cover which will help the bunching up of the wool mattress cover that came with the mattress.

I’ll check the others recommended here, thanks.

Hi Whitelotus,

The 16" version should be fine for a 10" mattress.

Phoenix

I looked at your previous posts. :slight_smile:

The 16" Dormier will fit your 10" mattress fine. It will be a little loose until you wash it, but I’d always rather have loose than tight. Tight mattress protectors and sheets might look better (but this doesn’t really matter once you put a blanket on the bed anyway), but they also affect the feel of the mattress and prevent the latex from conforming to your body if they’re too tight. I actually have sheets that claim to fit up to 22" mattresses on my 12" latex mattress for this reason. I don’t know where they come up with 22" (huge exaggeration - there’s no way they would fit a bed that thick), but they fit just the way I like - not too tight.

I don’t like too tight either, but now we have too loose. The sheets are too loose and bunching up and the cover that holds the mattress, which is cotton and wool, is bunching up, which is why the manufacturer suggested a protector. I wasn’t going with it because I love the feel of the latex right under me but now I know I need the protector.

So you say the St Dormier is thin, which I like, but I wonder if I’m getting too much wool here. It looks like a very nice cover.This one looks good, too. It is cotton mattelasse, stretchy and nice. Even more $ than the Dormier though, even on sale.

Thanks

Hi Whitelotus,

The St Dormeir has less wool than many other protectors so I don’t think there would be many people that said there was “too much” wool in it. Some people even prefer to sleep on much thicker wool layers.

The Cozy Pure stretch knit cotton protector would be more stretchy than the St Dormeir and would probably have a little less effect on the “feel” of the mattress but it would also be less water resistant than the St Dormeir because there isn’t any wool in it. Both would make good choices depending on the tradeoffs that are important to you.

Phoenix