Cover for new latex mattress

I finally pulled the trigger on a 100% natural dunlop latex core soon to follow with a talalay topper (have to save some funds before I get the topper). I ordered from Tucker Mattress in the Atlanta area and it should be here next week. In the meantime I want to invest in a good mattress cover and am looking for suggestions. I want to get two, one for the top of the mattress and one for the bottom as it will reside directly on the floor. Are there any particular brands that are superior? I want to protect my investment so I’m looking for high quality covers. Any advice/recommendations would be appreciated. And I will post about the new mattress once I’ve tried it out.

Hi majorleague,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum!

I haven’t talked recently with the different vendors in the component post here (scroll down for the covers section) about all the cover options they currently have available (websites are often not up to date) but the SleepEz cover would certainly be among the better options. Most of the others also carry unquilted covers as well as far as I know.

I’m looking forward to your comments about your new mattress and the cover you selected.

Phoenix

Thanks for the reply Phoenix. Just a quick clarification: is a mattress cover and a mattress protector the same thing? I’m looking for a fitted cover that is waterproof, etc. to protect my mattress.

Hi majorleague,

That’s a good question. A mattress cover usually refers to a zippered cover that fits over a component mattress system (different pieces of foam or a foam/innerspring combination) and covers and “holds” everything together. Without the mattress cover you’d be looking at a “raw” mattress – you could see all of the foams. A mattress protector fits onto a finished mattress and “protects” the finished mattress from body oils, liquids, skin cells, etc. They can fit on like a fitted sheet or can be zippered encasements. They take the place of the traditional mattress pad and usually waterproof.

Phoenix

Thank you for the clarification. The mattress will be covered when I receive it so I’m looking for a mattress protector then. Any recommendations for protectors?

Hi majorleague,

There’s some good information about mattress protectors in post #89 here.

Phoenix

Great info! I’m still sifting through all the options to determine what is best for me (currently using a borrowed waterproof protector in the meantime). Because my mattress is directly on the floor I am wondering if I should get two of whichever protector I decide on for the top or if I should get a thicker/hardier cover for the underside. Do you have any recommendations in this regard?

Hi majorleague,

For those that have a solid surface support system under their mattress (like when being placed upon the floor) then something like a this coir bed rug or one of the slat conversions here could be placed on the floor underneath the mattress and it would increase ventilation under their mattress as well as reduce the chance of moisture being trapped under the mattress. A solid surface support system that doesn’t provide any ventilation underneath the mattress can add to the risks of moisture retention and developing mold or mildew or dust mites in a mattress but if there aren’t any additional risk factors involved then it should be fine. A bedroom in a basement would be more likely to have issues than one on the third floor. A mattress on a floor would also be at greater risk than one that was higher up in the air which was warmer and could come to room temperature more quickly, even in the same room.

To me the bed rug or elevated slat network would be a preferred option instead of a complete encasement of your mattress.

Phoenix