Covering each layer of latex in cotton - seeking advice

I have a couple of questions that I haven’t seen an answer to in this forum. Please pardon me if I have missed a similar topic! Background: My spouse and I have a pocket coil mattress that is not sagging, but is 7 years old. Both of us are combination sleepers (but mostly side). While I used to be a reasonably sound sleeper, I now wake briefly 5-6x/night, sometimes with numb arms.
Option 1 - Is adding a 3" latex topper to our existing pocket coil mattress worthwhile considering, or should we ditch it?
Option 2 - I am considering purchasing a latex bed consisting of 4 - 2" layers. The vendor routinely covers each layer with a cotton sock before assembling the bed. a.) Is this going to affect how quickly the latex wears, how it feels, and is it more likely to shift? b.) Is there a benefit to this other than ease of handling when switching the layers? c.) Would you recommend this number of 2" layers…vs. 3 - 3" layers…vs. 6" core + 2-3" comfort layer?

Hi AnitaW,

[quote]I have a couple of questions that I haven’t seen an answer to in this forum. Please pardon me if I have missed a similar topic! Background: My spouse and I have a pocket coil mattress that is not sagging, but is 7 years old. Both of us are combination sleepers (but mostly side). While I used to be a reasonably sound sleeper, I now wake briefly 5-6x/night, sometimes with numb arms.
Option 1 - Is adding a 3" latex topper to our existing pocket coil mattress worthwhile considering, or should we ditch it?[/quote]

If your mattress is still in good condition and there are no soft spots or sagging (soft spots won’t be visible) and if the reason for your numb arms are that the mattress is too firm (and not the result of a physiological issue, the position you sleep in, or a pillow issue … see this topic) then a topper can add some additional pressure relief and softness and can be an effective solution. If you do decide to go in this direction then post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline for choosing the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success and also includes a link to a list of some of the better sources for toppers I’m aware of as well.

There is more about the pros and cons of individually covered layers in post #2 here.

There is nothing either inherently better or worse about having more or less layers except that having more layers can provide more potential layering combinations or options for rearranging or exchanging the layers and fine tuning the comfort and support of the mattress (see post #2 here). This would only make a meaningful difference if the 2 or 3 layer combination (either initially or after any layer exchanges that are available) didn’t provide a combination of layers that was a suitable “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and the mattress with more layers provided enough of a difference to justify any additional costs that may be involved in having more layers. In some cases and for some people having too many options can also add additional complexity to finding the best possible combination of layers and can lead to some extensive trial and error and some additional frustration.

You are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are always too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict which mattress or combination of layers would be the best “match” for you in terms of PPP or whether one mattress will be a better match than another one based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own personal testing or sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

In other words I wouldn’t specifically “recommend” any one of them over the others because outside of the additional layering options one isn’t inherently any better than the others and which one is “best” for you will depend on which one you believe would provide you with a combination of layers that are inside the comfort/support range that would be suitable for you along with all the parts of your personal value equation that are important to you (including the price of course along with the exchange/return options you have after a purchase and any costs involved).

Phoenix