Crib mattress and new latex queen (UD Natural or Eurotop)

So, after reading for ages we’ve decided(I think) to get the Sleepez crib mattress for our 4 month old. I was leaning towards the Naturepedic Lightweight, but I’m not sure that will hold up over time.

For our new bed I’ve waffled all over the place. This summer we stayed on a Temperpedic, and my husband was in love. Me, not so much, I found it too hot. He is 6’3" and just over 200 lbs and last year had a very rough time with some Sciatic pain. His pain is gone now, but our bed (an innerspring that we bought 10+ years ago, it might be a sealy) has developed ruts, even if we flip the mattress they come back.

So, that said, I was considering Tuft & Needle, but the off gassing worries me. I’m still nursing and our little girl spends the nights in our bed (and her crib is in the room. )

The UD Natural seems like it would be the best fit for us. It has the 2lb foam in the core (making it more durable for someone like my husband who is NOT gentle on furniture. It also has the Dunlop which sounds like I would like it because I don’t like to sink into my bed. And it has wool. I sleep hot, like a furnace, and we currently have a wool mattress pad on our bed that helps keep me cool and warm my husband up. The biggest hurdle is that I can’t really find reviews for the natural.

The other realistic option seems to be the UD Eurotop. It lacks the wool, and switches Talay for Dunlop. It has a larger core, but it’s less dense. I also like the option to exchange a layer of we guess our comfort level wrong.

I’ve been waffling on this for some time. Any input would be great.

Hi Gwibbles,

As you probably know from your reading here I think that this would be a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new crib mattress :slight_smile:

The materials in their mattress is CertiPur certified so for most people safety or VOC’s wouldn’t be an issue with their mattress. There is more information about organic, natural, “chemical free”, green, and “safe” materials in post #2 here and the more detailed information in the posts it links to that can help you decide which materials you are comfortable with having in your mattress and that can help answer your questions about “how safe is safe enough for me?” because these types of issues are complex and are generally specific to each person and their individual sensitivities, circumstances, and specific criteria.

This is also a good quality/value choice for those who prefer a Dunlop latex comfort layer over Talalay latex (see post #7 here) and the wool in the quilting for temperature regulation. The polyfoam in their mattress is also CertiPUR certified.

I would also be very cautious about using mattress reviews (good or bad) as a reliable source of mattress research or information and in many cases they can be much more misleading than helpful (see post #13 here).

Post #2 here has more about the different ways to choose the most suitable mattress (locally or online) and how to identify and minimize the risks involved in each of them.

Post #13 here and the posts it links to has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

This can also make a good choice for those that aren’t in higher weight ranges (if your husband is “just over” 200 lbs then he would still be inside the range where this would be a suitable choice) but if you would prefer a mattress that has a higher density base foam to be more on the safe side and that also has an exchangeable talalay latex comfort layer and wool quilting then there is some information about how the UD eurotop compares to the Bamboo Bliss made by Brooklyn Bedding (Dreamfoam’s sister company) in post #16 here.

All of the mattresses you are considering are certainly good quality/value choices and if you are down to a list of finalists that are choices between “good and good” and there are no clear winners between them then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on “informed best judgement” and on all the objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix for all of your help and the clarifications.

Poking around the SleepEz site I saw their year end specials. I was specifically looking at Naturalé 9" Latex Mattress which is $895 for the queen, right in our price range. It is also Dunlop and has a plush and firm side. Would this be a good option or not nearly sturdy enough for my husband?

Hi Gwibbles,

I can’t speak to whether it would be a good match for him in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and you would need to talk with them about comfort choices but it would certainly be durable enough for him and there wouldn’t be any weak links in the mattress.

Phoenix