Crib Mattress options

I am expecting my first baby at the end of this month and I am looking to get all new mattresses, a Queen for us, crib mattress, pack n play mattress and bassinet. I am looking at the Sleep on Latex 7" for us because it looks economical and looks like their return policy is really good. Neither of us are big my husband 6 foot tall and weighs 160 lbs. I am 5’1" and pre pregnant 118 pounds (150lbs 8 months pregnant LOL). For the crib I found DIY Natural Bedding
has a 3" thick latex crib mattress for $155 medium (ILD26-30) and $170 firm (ILD 31-35) recommendations I have been able to find online are for an ILD of 35-40 for a crib. For the pack n play and bassinet I need a piece 26x37 and 26x13.5. DIY will do a custom cut 1" thick 26x51 but its $235 with shipping. Sleep on Latex sells 1" thick toppers and their twin is $109 with free shipping so I would get that and cut it. I am sure there are other options and I am interested in direction on how to work this out and recommendations of other sellers to try. Thank You!

Hi DrPowell,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Congratulations! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

The Sleep on Latex 7" model uses good quality and durable materials, and as you may be aware Sleep on Latex is a site member here, which means that I think highly of them and their products. Whether or not this product would be appropriate for you and your husband would of course come down to your own personal testing, but as you mentioned the do have a 100 day return policy.

A firmer latex mattress for children is generally recommended because their growing but less developed bodies need less contouring and firmer support. Starting in the upper 20s for an ILD into the 30s is usually an acceptable range to meet the recommendations of experts. Post #2 here has links to the better threads in the forum about mattresses and children that will be helpful, and also has some good sources for children’s mattresses. You can look at this thread from someone who was also looking for a crib mattress that may be helpful. Here’s another good post with some crib mattress references, as well as some good sources in post #2 here.

For custom sizes, with custom covers, I would use the manufacturers and suppliers listed in the component post here under the latex section as a good starting point. DIY Natural Bedding is on that list and they do use quality componentry.

I know this is a lot of information, but hopefully it expands your options to meet your specific requirements.

Phoenix

Thank you ever so much for that comprehensive and quick reply! I had not turned up the other crib threads when I searched. I went through all of the links and I just left a phone message with Latex Mattress Factory about their 6 inch diy cores. That is what I really think I want for my husband and I with a homemade wool puddle pad and a few layers of cotton sheets as a cover, or a homemade cover. Waiting to hear back with their advice on Soft or Medium. Thank you for turning me on to them, I can even add a topper later for the same total price as the option I was looking at.

One more quick question. I came across Foam Order and Organic Mattress Shop for .9" layers but I did not find them on your manufacturer list or the list you just gave me. Are they suppliers you recommend?

Thank you so much!

Hi DrPowell,

You’re most welcome!

I’ll be interested in learning what you eventually decide to choose. Latex Mattress factory is also a site member here and I think highly of them as well.

While not members of the site, they are both listed in the component supplier post I provided earlier under the latex section and they offer some good quality componentry.

Phoenix

I have two children and have experience buying different mattresses. Choose a mattress which is firm and breathable.
All the best,
maidul