Crofton, MD Locations?

Hello!

Very glad I found this site; I was recently at Mattress Warehouse and put a deposit down on a beautyrest “dreamwell” pillowtop. After leaving the store, I realized I had no idea what I was doing…Had not done any research and was just sucked in by random sales pitches and 5 minute bed tests. So glad I went home to look around and found this site and equally as glad that I only put a deposit down and didn’t actually pay for everything!

So now armed with more information, I am trying to find out if there are some local places I should check out. I did see a “DC Area” post from sept 2011 but figured I would post and see if there is anything new in this area that popped up in the past year. I am not against buying online but if I can deal with someone locally that would be great or at a bare minimum, find a place to test out mattresses.

I am still not 100% sure what I want but I am leaning towards a quality latex mattress. I have a budget of around $1500 (I can go a couple hundred higher if needed). Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Hi aviper9,

The list in post #2 here is up to date (it was last edited on Sept 30, 2012) :).

Depending on the size you are looking at, the type of latex, and whether you are thinking mattress only or a mattress/foundation set, your budget may be on the low side for an 8" - 9" latex mattress with a softer comfort layer over a 6" core but it would probably be enough for either a thinner all latex mattress or a latex/innerspring or latex/polyfoam hybrid. Some preliminary calls to let them know your “criteria” and a few questions which can give you a good sense of what they have available in various budget ranges would be a good preliminary step before you start to visit various retailers and test mattresses.

Phoenix

Thanks for the link and info! I was checking out mygreenmattress.com and looking at their evergreen mattress, queen sized which seemed reasonable. Was also looking at their queen sized frame…all together that seems to be roughly $1648 pre-tax and pre-shipping, which is reasonable and I would spend that. I really wanted to go with Talalay latex, which this mattress seems to at least have some in it with a mixed latex core. Right now I have a queen sized random mattress on the floor by itself since I just moved last week, so really anything is an upgrade. I am 6ft 250lbs and my wife is 5’3 120lbs, so pretty different on the weight front.

Thanks agian for the feedback and I will check out those links!

-Alex

Hi aviper,

My Green Mattress is among the “best in the country” range of quality/value and that type of value wouldn’t be available in every area of the country. On the other hand … there is also “value” to being able to test a mattress in person vs the “risk” of buying a mattress that you haven’t been able to test for PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences). The more local testing you do (regardless of the price of the mattress) … the more you will have a personal reference as a guideline when you are working with a better online manufacturer to choose (or in some cases design) a mattress that would be most suitable for you.

There would of course be extra shipping but there wouldn’t be any tax when you order from a different state and you would also have the benefit of a 5% discount on the mattress because they are a member here.

Your weight differential also makes your choice a little more challenging. Some of the ways that can accommodate this are certain types of layering (where a middle transition layer for example can perform more as a pressure relieving layer for the heavier person and more as a support layer for the lighter person) or a side to side split layering where each side of a mattress has different layers.

Some of the pros and cons of ordering locally vs online are in this thread

Either way though … some good local testing can be a real benefit regardless of where you end up ordering your mattress.

Phoenix

Thank you much, I will dig into this more and update on what I end up doing. That local list is very helpful, might head out this weekend and see what I can find.

Just a quick update; decided on the Ultimate Dreams Eurotop Latex Mattress from Dreamfoam Bedding. I still have to talk with Chuck/DB, but thinking about going with a 6 or 7 (leaning towards 7) for firmness rating. Already placed the order so we will see what happens!

EDIT

I also decided on a platform bed, in particular the Modus Furniture International Ledge Queen Upholstered Platform Bed, Chocolate on Amazon. Seems pretty decent and the price isn’t bad ($219). I like that it’s upholstered as I have run into my cheapo wood bed at night a few times and it has pretty sharp corners. Hard to see with the pictures, but it looks like it should support the mattress ok.

Hi aviper9,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile: As you know I think the Ultimate Dreams is a great choice.

Your Platform Bed also looks very interesting and is certainly a good price and I’d love to hear your feedback on it, especially about the slats and the overall quality and construction if you have the chance once you’ve received it.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=9575]Hi aviper9,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile: As you know I think the Ultimate Dreams is a great choice.

Your Platform Bed also looks very interesting and is certainly a good price and I’d love to hear your feedback on it, especially about the slats and the overall quality and construction if you have the chance once you’ve received it.

Phoenix[/quote]

Thank you Phoenix! I will certainly report back after a few days/week on the new mattress and on the platform bed as well once I get it. Thanks again for all your help, this website has been amazing in my mattress/bed hunt!

-Alex