CSS Hy'Bed / Hip pain?

I finally took the next step on my mattress journey and made my way from NYC to Branford, CT to visit CSS, and have nothing but wonderful things to say about Sara and the store. I’d been thinking until now I was going to have to get the Pure Latex Bliss Beautiful, which is far out of my price range, but this afternoon I discovered I very much like CSS"s Hy’Bed, which is Talalay over springs. I like the bounce and the softness. So far, it’s probably the closest to my old Sealy Posturepedic Connelly from 2005. And the price for the set & delivery is more than I had wanted to pay at the beginning of this endeavor, but now it seems like a fair price by comparison.

After spending almost 2 hrs at the store ( mostly laying on the Hy’Bed but occasionally on other beds), I started to have pain in my hips/lower back which has not gone away. I’m a plus size girl, so I have a lot of weight in that hip/area. I’m worried this bed I’ve just fallen in love with might not be “the one”…wondering if it’s the innersprings or the latex. The Outrageous, which had a similar feel but is 100% latex, is much much more expensive, and didn’t have the same kind of bounce.

I’d love to hear anyone else’s experience with the Hy’Bed and/or advice on whether it’s normal to have pain when trying out a lot of different mattresses…I do tend to sit hard when first trying a mattress so that could be an easy explanation. Thanks!

Hi suzan,

While it’s not possible of course to accurately “diagnose” the reasons for someone’s pain on a forum … if the cause of your pain is a mattress that you have only tried for a relatively short period of time then your “symptoms” would generally disappear shortly after you stop lying on the mattress and have moved or stretched a bit.

If the cause of your pain was a mattress it also wouldn’t generally be because of the specific type of materials and components in the mattress but would more likely be because a specific combination of those materials and components and the mattress “as a whole” wasn’t a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). All materials and components have a range of firmness levels and a mattress that uses a particular combination in certain thicknesses and firmness levels may be a “perfect” match for you in terms of PPP and yet other mattresses that use exactly the same type of materials and components in different firmness levels, layer thicknesses, or in a different design may be completely unsuitable for you to sleep on. In other words … it wouldn’t be so much about the materials as the design and the choice of materials and components is a preference and/or a budget choice more than a better/worse choice.

If your symptoms are lingering long after you are no longer testing a mattresses then it’s quite possible that you have aggravated a pre-existing condition and/or you may be experiencing “testing fatigue”. Sometimes your body can react and start complaining about trying out too many different sleeping surfaces and firmness levels so it’s not unusual for some people to have some “symptoms” after testing many different mattresses over a relatively short period of time … especially if they are prone to the type of “symptoms” they experience. Some people may notice that their back is sore and others may notice sore necks or sore hips and others may have different symptoms yet.

It may be a good idea to take a break for a few days and let your body recover and then go back and test the same mattress again.

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be helpful … I would be very cautious about about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here). Your own personal testing in combination with the help and guidance of a knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer or retailer (such as CSS) will be a much more reliable way to decide whether any mattress is a good "“match” for you in terms of PPP.

As you probably know I think highly of CSS and they are one of the members here which means that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

An exact phrase site search on Comfort Sleep Systems along with a forum search on comfortcss and on CSS (you can just click the links) will bring up all the forum comments and feedback about them as well.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. I definitely feel like I’ve had mattress fatigue trying so many mattresses since April!! I’ve given the search a rest for the past few weeks, but I wouldn’t doubt my body has had enough…

It’s a major schlep to get from the city to Branford without owning a car (2 1/2 hrs each way, $60 in train fare and Uber). Once I get the final word on the dispute claim through Cap One and Visa, then I may make a final trip there to do the purchase and make 100% sure on what I’m buying.

Hi suzan,

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding :slight_smile:

Good luck with your dispute claim as well.

Phoenix