Curious to learn more about micro-coils

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if any of you had experience with micro-coil mattresses? I have read the description on this website, as well as reviews of microcoil mattresses like Helix but was curious to hear peoples perspectives.

Are there any caveats that I should be aware of? What do micro-coils do better or worse than other comfort layers like gel memory foam, latex or HR poly?

Thanks!

TORONTOCT

Hi TorontoCT,

Hopefully some of the members that have tried a mattress that contains a microcoil will see your post and share their comments but while other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular store or business can certainly be very helpful … I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress so I would be very cautious about about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight or BMI range). In other words … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

You may have read some or all of these already but there is more about microcoils that are used in comfort layers in this article and in post #8 here and post #2 here.

Each mattress category (see here) can include hundreds of different mattresses with a very wide range of different designs, different “feels”, different characteristics, and different firmness levels and will generally include some mattresses that have a design that will be a good “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP and others that use the same type of materials and components and are in the same category and may be just as durable but have a different design or firmness level that may be uncomfortable or unsuitable for you to sleep on … even if it uses the same general type of materials and components.

All the layers and components in a mattress (including the cover and quilting) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer in a mattress above and below it and the mattress “as a whole” to different degrees so what you feel on a mattress is the combined effect of all the layers more than the effects of just a single layer or component in a mattress.

In very general terms though … the properties and firmness of materials and components that are closer to the top surface of a mattress will tend to have a bigger effect on the overall “feel” and firmness of a mattress than materials that are deeper in the mattress, thicker layers or components will contribute more of their feel and firmness to the mattress than thinner layers or components, and a thinner layer would “allow” more of the feel and properties of a layer or component underneath it to “come through” than a thicker layer.

Having said all that … the only way to know for certain whether any mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP and how well you are likely to sleep on any specific mattress will be based on your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal experience when you sleep on it.

Phoenix