Custom Comfort?

Greetings,

I’m looking to get a latex mattress for my wife and me and two for our two toddlers. Is anyone familiar with Custom Comfort (https://customcomfortmattress.com)? There prices seem to be a bit higher than some of the other websites recommended here.

Thanks. This forum is an excellent resource.

Hi Mujib,

A forum search on Customcomfortmattress or a specific term site search on Custom Comfort (you can just click the links) will bring up all the comments and feedback about them on the forum (along with a few additional results that use the term “custom comfort” but aren’t about that specific manufacturer) but overall they are an old and very experienced manufacturer that make some very high quality mattresses with good materials and construction and are transparent about what is in their mattresses but as you mentioned they are also in a higher budget range than some of the other options that are available to you in the Los Angeles region list so I would make some good “value comparisons” with other similar mattresses.

While price is certainly important of course … the “value” of a mattress purchase is what is most important and price is just one of many factors that can affect the “value” of a mattress purchase. There isn’t a “formula” that can be used to assess or “calculate” the value of a mattress because there are so many different variables and criteria involved that can affect the price of a mattress that can each be more or less important to some people and not to others who may have completely different criteria or definitions of “value”. The “value” of a mattress purchase is also relative to how a mattress compares to the other finalists you are considering or to other mattresses that are available to you in your area (or online if you are also considering online options). There are many reasons that a mattress that may be “good value” for one person or in one area of the country may not be good value for someone else that has very different needs and preferences or that lives in a different area.

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

There is also more information and some general guidelines about buying a mattress for children in post #2 here and the posts it links to that should be helpful as well.

Phoenix

Thank you for your response. I actually purchased mattresses shortly after reading your response. I admit that, other than the reading I did online and here, I didn’t do much research or shopping around. We’d been in desperate need of mattresses for a while, and there really wasn’t much time to drive around to different retailers.

We purchased three Flexus Comfort mattresses after going in and trying a few. I tried a forum search but didn’t find many reviews from forum members who’ve purchased a mattress from them. Here are some questions I have:

I was a bit surprised after seeing the inside of the mattress. The mattress is simply three layers of latex with a cover. I was told by the salesman that all latex mattresses come in layers of latex. Is this true. Is there an advantage to the layered mattresses?

Are all mattresses so unstructured? I imagined there to be more structure to a mattress. Are all latex mattresses so unstructured?

You’d mentioned in one of your posts that their talalay latex is not 100% natural. We were told that the latex in their mattresses is all natural; it’s also on the website. I was also basically told that other than a spraying with water of the trees there really isn’t much difference between the natural latex and the organic latex. Is this true? Why then would someone pay so much more for organic?

Flexus has a price match guarantee. Can I be sure this was the best deal, or is it worth it now to look at competitors’ prices?

Lastly, the mattresses were just delivered today. They came on the back of a small truck. The mattresses were folded in half and tied with rope to keep them on the back of the truck. Should I be worried about this? Is it ok to fold a latex mattress?

Thank you.

Hi Mujib,

I’m not sure how you did the search but a forum search on Flexus (you can just click the link) will bring up hundreds of forum posts with more comments and feedback about them.

Most latex mattresses use various combinations of latex layers in different thicknesses and different firmness levels although there are a few that only use a single latex layer (usually 6") that don’t have separate comfort layers outside of a relatively thin material (such as wool or polyfoam) that is quilted to the cover. Some latex mattresses are component mattresses that use loose layers and others use layers that are glued together.

The advantage of component latex mattresses that have individual loose layers and a zip cover is that the layers can be rearranged or exchanged after a purchase to fine tune the comfort and/or support of the mattress. There is also more about the pros and cons of a component mattress with a zip cover and loose layers vs a finished mattress with glued layers in post #15 here and post #2 here.

Both the Talalay latex and the Dunlop latex in their current designs use 100% natural latex. There is more about the pros and cons of different types and blends of latex in post #6 here. There is also more about organic latex in post #6 here. They are correct that there is little to no difference between 100% natural Dunlop that doesn;t have an organic certification and the same 100% natural Dunlop that does have an organic certification.

Most people that are looking for an “organic” mattress or materials are usually concerned more with “safety” than whether the materials have an actual organic certification but they have come to believe that “organic” latex is somehow “safer” than latex that doesn’t have an organic certification. Much of this can be based on some aggressive marketing about “organic” latex which implies that it’s somehow “better” than non organic latex. There is more information about the three different levels of organic certifications in post #2 here and some of the benefits of an organic certification in post #3 here and there is more about the different types of organic and safety certifications such as Oeko-tex, Eco-Institut, Greenguard Gold, C2C, and CertiPUR-US in post #2 here and more about some of the differences between organic and safety certifications in post #2 here and there are also some comments in post #42 here that can help you decide whether an organic certification is important to you for environmental, social, or personal reasons or whether a “safety” certification is enough.

All the latex you are likely to encounter (either Dunlop or Talalay that is made with either natural or synthetic rubber or a blend of both) will have a reliable certification such as Oeko-Tex, Eco-Institut, Greenguard Gold or C2C and based on actual testing I would consider any type or blend of latex (regardless of whether it is natural or organic) to be a very “safe” material in terms of harmful substances and VOC’s (offgassing).

That depends on your definition of “best deal”.

While price is certainly important of course … the “value” of a mattress purchase is what is most important and price is just one of many factors that can affect the “value” of a mattress purchase. There isn’t a “formula” that can be used to assess or “calculate” the value of a mattress because there are so many different variables and criteria involved that can affect the price of a mattress that can each be more or less important to some people and not to others who may have completely different criteria or definitions of “value”. The “value” of a mattress purchase is also relative to how a mattress compares to the other finalists you are considering or to other mattresses that are available to you in your area (or online if you are also considering online options). There are many reasons that a mattress that may be “good value” for one person or in one area of the country may not be good value for someone else that has very different needs and preferences or that lives in a different area.

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

As you probably know … Flexus is one of the members of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency but only you can decide whether it would be “worth it” to you to spend the additional time and energy involved in including other manufacturers or retailers (either locally or online) in your research.

Yes … latex is a very flexible material and it’s fine to bend it, fold it in half, roll it up, or compress it for delivery either locally or through a courier.

You certainly made a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Thank you, sir. By the way, who is Mubub? :slight_smile:

I got the mattresses out of the plastic. I unzipped the larger one, the queen, to have a look at the inside. I must say, it looked a bit unrefined in there. This kind of inspection might sound obsessive, but for these prices I think these mattresses should be flawless and meticulously finished (at least to my eye).

The top layer of the mattress had dark yellowing around the edges; the color was very different from the off white of the rest of the latex. This can’t be normal, can it? Also, the sides at the corners seemed to have stains. I don’t want to sound overly suspicious, but could I have gotten a used layer?

The layers of latest themselves were not aligned so that there was a protrusion (visible outside the cover) on one of the long sides of the mattress. Again, this might sound like I’m paying attention to details too much, but shouldn’t one expect perfection at these prices?

Thank you again.

Hi Mujib,

I think it’s the force that took over my fingers when I tried to type your name (now corrected) :slight_smile:

[quote]I got the mattresses out of the plastic. I unzipped the larger one, the queen, to have a look at the inside. I must say, it looked a bit unrefined in there. This kind of inspection might sound obsessive, but for these prices I think these mattresses should be flawless and meticulously finished (at least to my eye).

The top layer of the mattress had dark yellowing around the edges; the color was very different from the off white of the rest of the latex. This can’t be normal, can it? Also, the sides at the corners seemed to have stains. I don’t want to sound overly suspicious, but could I have gotten a used layer?

The layers of latest themselves were not aligned so that there was a protrusion (visible outside the cover) on one of the long sides of the mattress. Again, this might sound like I’m paying attention to details too much, but shouldn’t one expect perfection at these prices?[/quote]

They certainly don’t sell used layers but latex just isn’t a “flawless” material. Imperfections or discolorations you are mentioning are completely normal with natural latex.

It’s also not unusual for the layers to be misaligned because latex is a very stretchy and “sticky” material so some misalignment can normally be corrected by by lifting and “waving” the layers into a more aligned position. There are some links to a few videos in post #12 here that should give you a good idea of how to assemble (or reassemble) a component latex mattress.

Phoenix