Custom Latex...Need help "Pulling the trigger!"

Like many others on the forum, my journey started with visits to a couple of mattress stores and getting sticker shock, combined with an uneasiness regarding what truly separated high quality from good quality mattress products, pro’s and con’s of various mattress constructions and materials, as well as a general uneasiness regarding the relationship between comfort and durability. Ultimately, I found myself watching hours of Youtube videos and browsing multiple websites before deciding what would be best for me. My wife and I have different comfort needs and preferences, which is one of the reasons that I’m going with a split custom latex solution. I’m extremely grateful for having stumbled across this site, which has been very informative and given me confidence that I’m making the right choice! Thermal comfort, consistent support over time, and overall durability were also reasons that I’ve decided to go with a latex mattress.

Now, it is time for me to “pull the trigger”. I’ve decided to go with a 12" mattress with (4) 3" layers. I’m 6’0" and 250lbs, prefer a slightly firmer support, and am concerned with getting something that’s too firm.

My first choice is the following configuration (top to bottom):
OPTION 1:
3" Medium Talalay
3" Firm Dunlop
3" Extra Firm Dunlop
3" Extra Firm Dunlop

However, I’m debating whether the following configuration would be more satisfactory due to being a little less firm, and offers more customization options:
OPTION 2A:
3" Medium Talalay
3" Firm Dunlop
3" Firm Dunlop
3" Extra Firm Dunlop

And if 2A allows too much cavity compression, arrange same inserts as follows:
Option 2B
3" Medium Talalay
3" Firm Dunlop
3" Extra Firm Dunlop
3" Firm Dunlop

One thing to note is that I’m also planning to purchase a Ergomotion Softide 8300 adjustable frame with lumbar support, which could help provide needed support in the lower back area for the second option if needed. Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated!

Hi StillSleepy.

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

[quote]I’m extremely grateful for having stumbled across this site, which has been very informative and given me confidence that I’m making the right choice!
[/quote]
I’m glad you’ve been able to take some time and use the resources here to assist in your decision making process. B)

As you’re already aware, you’re certainly making a choice of more durable and higher-quality materials.

[quote]Now, it is time for me to “pull the trigger”. I’ve decided to go with a 12" mattress with (4) 3" layers. I’m 6’0" and 250lbs, prefer a slightly firmer support, and am concerned with getting something that’s too firm.
My first choice is the following configuration (top to bottom):
OPTION 1:
3" Medium Talalay
3" Firm Dunlop
3" Extra Firm Dunlop
3" Extra Firm Dunlop

However, I’m debating whether the following configuration would be more satisfactory due to being a little less firm, and offers more customization options:
OPTION 2A:
3" Medium Talalay
3" Firm Dunlop
3" Firm Dunlop
3" Extra Firm Dunlop

And if 2A allows too much cavity compression, arrange same inserts as follows:
Option 2B
3" Medium Talalay
3" Firm Dunlop
3" Extra Firm Dunlop
3" Firm Dunlop
[/quote]

If your concern is getting something a bit too firm, then I would agree with your notion that you have a bit more flexibility with your second options. If you found it a bit too soft, the addition of another extra firm layer certainly could be assistive. Being of a higher mass, using at least one extra firm base layer could be advantageous. And using Dunlop for the deeper layers is a common plan of action for people with a higher BMI.

All of these configurations would work well on an adjustable bed foundation, and you are again correct that the extra lumbar support certainly could make up for a bit of plushness in a softer situation.

I know you’ve already done quite a bit of research, but for others who might read your posts, when building your own DIY mattress out of separate components that are purchased from one or several different sources then the first place I would start is by reading option 3 in post #15 here and the posts it links to (and option #1 and #2 as well) so that you have more realistic expectations and that you are comfortable with the learning curve, uncertainty, trial and error, or in some cases the higher costs that may be involved in the DIY process. While it can certainly be a rewarding project … the best approach to a DIY mattress is a “spirit of adventure” where what you learn and the satisfaction that comes from the process itself is more important than any cost savings you may realize (which may or may not happen).

There is also more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel” that may be useful as well.

For those who decide to take on the challenge then I would either use the specs (if they are available) of a mattress that you have tested and confirmed is a good match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP as a reference point or blueprint and try and “match” every layer and component in your reference mattress as closely as possible or alternatively use a “bottom up” approach (see post #2 here).

I know you’ve already done a great deal of learning, and I look forward to learning about your final selection and the results once you’ve had a chance to try it out for a while.

Phoenix