Custom latex, online retailers

After some research we’ve decided on latex, main issue with this decision is we live in a small area in Southern California and can’t find a place that has latex to go and actually experience. Closest big city is San Diego, 2 hours away, or Yuma, AZ, about an hour. Hopefully we’ll make the trip soon to test drive at least. But are going to be stuck ordering online more than likely. Which leads to my question below.

Initially me and the wife were thinking Custom Sleep Design for our new mattress. We liked the idea of the his/hers zones, and each side with different firmness by the shoulders and hips. Are their any other comparable websites that do this. Closest I saw was flobeds, with the vzone. The vzone broke it down into six different firmness categories from head to toe and was more confusing than anything. It showed soft under the hips and shoulders, we’re side sleepers so was thinking the hips should be firmer than the shoulders.

Also saw sleepez, that just broke it down to his/hers side not for upper and lower body. These are the only two online retailers that I found in my initial searching that customize. If you guys know of any others please let me know.

Hi JNS101879,

I would be cautious about considering Custom Sleep Design. While they used to be a member here … they ran into some financial difficulties and their business has been on hold for some time and they no longer have a showroom. You can read more about this in this topic (including my reply earlier today).

The Flobeds vZone also has customized zoning and the zoning arrangement can also be further customized before and after a purchase (see post #4 here). As you probably know they are also a member here and I think highly of them.

Post #21 here (which is one of the links in the tutorial post) includes the other online members of the site that sell customized component latex mattresses that include a wide range of designs, options, prices, and return or exchange policies.

Phoenix

After looking at the flobeds website some more, I guess we can exchange the vzone pieces for free until we get it right, for the first 100 days. Leaning toward this at the moment. Still need to find a place to test drive talalay latex, just to make sure we like the feel. I’ll keep this updated if we decide to go with the vzone. Still a little bit away from pulling the trigger on the purchase.

Hi JNS101879,

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know of any options or possibilities I’m aware of (or can find with a quick search) in your area.

Phoenix

Forgot to mention we ruled out custom sleep design because of their issues.

My zip is 92251, Imperial, CA. Not to be confused with Imperial Beach.

Hi JNS101879,

You really are out in the middle of nowhere when it comes to mattresses :slight_smile:

The closest possibility I could see would be in Yuma …

Denver Mattress® - The Easiest Way to Get the Right Mattress They are a factory direct regional manufacturer that has a wide range of mattresses but one of them is the iChoice which is a mostly Talalay latex mattress which has a separate Talalay latex topper.

http://mattresswarehouseofyuma.com/id4.html Yuma, AZ. They carry Stress-O-Pedic and Sherwood and neither one has an all latex mattress but they may have a latex hybrid on their floor. If you decide to go here I would call them first to see what they have on their floor and to make sure that there that any “latex” mattresses they carry have more than just a thin layer of latex mixed in with other materials.

Other than that the San Diego list would be your closest source of latex that I can see and there is a much wider range of options there.

Just for reference as well … post #7 here has more about the difference in “feel” between Talalay and Dunlop.

If I was in your shoes and I was taking a drive anyway I would probably head in the San Diego direction because of the wider range of choices but if you do decide to order online without testing any latex first then a good return policy may be important just in case you are one of those that doesn’t like or prefer the “feel” of latex.

Phoenix

Yeah it’s the middle of nowhere. Thanks for the reply, hopefully we get a chance to get to San Diego or Yuma soon. If not we might have to order a sample and make a judgement from there.

The local sears had a sterns and foster model that has a latex support core. The extra firm version didn’t have much of a comfort layer and you could get an idea of the latex feel. It’s a Dunlop continuous pour they use.

We liked the latex feel much better than memory foam, we don’t like the sinking in feeling. The latex responded instantly. I know we aren’t comparing apples to apples since our current front runner is flobeds vzone, which uses a blended talalay latex. But I think it was enough to makeup our minds without driving two hours, in combination with a decent return policy.

So king flobed vzone and reverie essentials or deluxe (still undecided) adjustable base will hopefully be ordered in the next week or two.

Phoenix thanks for this website, it opened our eyes to many different options.

Hi JNS101879,

I’m glad you had the chance to test some latex even if it was somewhat “modified” by the feel of the polyfoam layers above it. At least it’s enough to let you know that it’s very different from the slow response of memory foam.

Just in case you didn’t see it … outside of the more noticeable differences such as wired vs wireless remote and the massage and memory features … the Essential doesn’t have a wall hugger feature which slides the bed towards the head when you elevate it to keep you beside your bedside table.

I’m looking forward to finding out about your final choices.

Phoenix