Custom Size Mattress for an Airstream

Hello…

I searched through the archives for this information, but could find nothing which would direct me to a good and recommended source for a custom sized twin mattress. I have two twin beds in my vacation trailer and I want two exceptionally confortable mattresses, since they will only be about 33 inches wide, instead of the standard 39. If you have any local recommendations: I have the following zip codes/areas: Long Beach, CA 90803 and San Diego, CA, zip 92082. If there are some online mfrs who do custom sizing and are also members of this site, please let me know. I realize that this throws the possibility of returns or warranty out the proverbial window, but it is what it is…It’s a trailer… :wink:

Thank you!

Whippetmom

Hi whippetmom,

This is the part that you will need to decide on for yourself since a mattress that is “exceptionally comfortable” for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on.

I’m assuming that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here but two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Many local manufacturers can make custom sizes (usually for a small upcharge). The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Los Angeles region (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier in this reply) are listed in post #2 here.

The San Diego list is in post #2 here.

I don’t know which of them make custom sizes off the top of my head so you will probably need to check their websites or call them to see which of them make the type of mattresses you would be interested in testing in the size that you need.

There are also some online options in post #2 here that may be helpful as well.

Phoenix

Phoenix…I have read through all of the links. I am definitely in the Princess and the Pea category. :wink: I am going to visit both San Diego links and hopefully can come up with the right size for the airstream.

Thank you for your help!

Hi whippetmom,

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any comments or questions you may have along the way :slight_smile:

Phoenix