Damage new mattress?

I am brand new to newer mattresses with the foams and stuff. I just got off my old school serta spring mattress which was still good but i figured with my new bedding i needed a new mattress.

I recently purchased a slumbertronic mattress. So far I love it. My concern ( well not a concern so much as a caution) … im kinda a paranoid guy about my stuff i figure it all costs good money and i dont wanna damage it. So my questions is this… put the new mattress on the frame all the new bedding and all is good… the g/f came over and wanted to " test / break in" the mattress. Sorry if thats too much information or inappropriate but I am just curious if that kind of activity does any kind of damage to the mattress itself. Again on my old coil one who cared but I would love for this one to last me a long time because its actually the most comfortable mattress ive ever laid down on and im super excited about it! Again sorry if thats too much information but it is a concern of mine. Any information would be appreciated.

Hi NewtoMemFoam,

Everything you do on a mattress (including sleeping) will have some effect on wear and tear and the gradual softening or breakdown of the materials in a mattress over time and lower quality materials will soften or break down faster than higher quality materials. “Normal” activities on a mattress shouldn’t damage any mattress though … within reason of course … and to some degree, depending on the specifics of the materials and components of the mattress, your body weight, and how “vigorous” the activity may be. For example if you were to “butt bomb” a mattress (jumping on a mattress and landing in a sitting position on the edge) or jump on it you could damage a mattress with a weaker coil system but this wouldn’t be “normal” activity.

Phoenix

I wouldnt say anything got like out of hand or was unresonable by any means just normal activities. I was just unsure of the materials used and how they reacted under times of heavy use vs the old spring style mattress I just gave up so hopefully no damage or early wear and tear with only one or two instances. Just paranoid about stuff like that the mattress was pretty expensive so I have to worry being who I am hehe I want it to last a long time.

2nd ? … how often do i need to rotate a mattress like this? I used to flip my spring one about every 6 months or so but I know these are different. Again any information is very much appreciated!

Todd

Hi NewtoMemFoam,

You can see the suggested rotation (for a one sided mattress) and flipping (for a two sided mattress) schedule I would follow in post #2 here.

There appear to be some lower quality materials in the comfort layers of your mattress so I would be especially diligent about regular maintenance to help even out any foam softening and impressions over time as much as possible

Phoenix

When you say it has lower quality materials can I ask which you are referring to? and also was this a bad purchase then?? I thought I got a pretty decent price on a DECENT mattress … but now im worried maybe I made a bad purchase :frowning: I only paid 701.49 out the door after tax so was this worth it or did i purchase a bad mattress??

Hi NewtoMemFoam,

One of the most important parts of a mattress purchase is making sure you know the quality of all the foam layers in a mattress so you can identify any weak links and also make more meaningful comparisons to other mattresses (see this article). You can also see some of the foam quality/density guidelines I would use when you are assessing the quality and likely durability of a mattress in post #4 here.

They don’t list the specifics of the foam quality/density in your mattress but if the information here is correct for your mattress then your mattress has 5 layers of convoluted polyfoam (it also doesn’t say the thickness of the layers) of what is probably lower quality/density polyfoam in the upper layers of the mattress. The convoluting would make them softer but even less durable than if the layers were solid. These layers could be a weak link in your mattress and could soften or break down faster than higher quality foams.

Phoenix