Deciding Between Tempur-pedic Models

Hi Everyone,

This seems like an awesome site and I would realllllly appreciate any help/opinions/suggestions you all have.
I am trying to decide between the cloud models of Tempurpedic currently. My choice are to either go with the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme ( new or clearance) or the Tempurpedic Cloud Select (new) or the Cloud (clearance). Both of the clearance models are about $700.00 less than the new models. I have visited both display models in the store and they both seem to be in great condition (no staining, pilling dents or defects etc.)

I started out six years ago and bought a Tempurpedic Classic. It was very firm and stiff and even though it was supportive, I had a hard time getting comfortable enough to fall asleep on it. I ended up selling it to my mom and buying a Simmons Beautyrest North hampton Superpillow Top mattress and was very pleased for it. Over the years the pillowtop started to break down and it developed a ditch. I am now back to square one.

Testing out in the store it seems that the supreme or luxe are most comfortable for me. I love that sunk in feeling and love super soft mattresses that are still supportive. However the prices are extremely high even for a clearance supreme model.

What I am wondering is how great the differences are between the original cloud (not select) and supreme. I wonder if the cloud will be soft enough for me and whether or not it will soften up over time. I wonder if the supreme is worth an extra thousand dollars and if it’s really that different or if I’m just being too spoiled because it feels more luxurious to me.

I also have been reading some comments about the tempurpedics softening up over the years and wonder how this relates to the cloud models. Because the same length of time later my mother’s TP is probably 95 percent as hard as it was to begin with. TP customer service says that even as the mattresses get softer you don’t sacrifice support but I wonder if I start with a cloud supreme it will eventually turn to mush.

As far as pain, I currently have some overall stiffness when waking up and slight lower back pain. Nothing major.

If anyone has had experience dealing with any of these models, has been deciding between them or just has input I would love to hear it !

Thanks !

Christina

Hi ChristinaM,

Before you pull the trigger on any Tempurpedic I would suggest reading post #1 here and the information it links to. while Tempurpedic uses mainly good quality materials … there are many other manufacturers that use the same or better quality materials and sell for significantly less. Like most of the major brands … they are not good value at all.

The Cloud lineup uses 4 lb memory foam in their construction (along with other densities of memory foam and the polyfoam they use in their support layers) which is medium density memory foam and will soften faster than higher density memory foam. The primary factor in the durability of memory foam is its density and 5 lb memory foams are more durable than 4 lb memory foams although many people like the faster response, greater breathability, and lower temperature sensitivity of many 4 lb memory foams. You can read more about the many different types of memory foam in post #9 here.

You can read more about some of the Tempurpedic models in post #10 here and some of the reasons for the “myth” of Tempurpedic in post #2 here.

Once you have read some of the basic information you need to make the best possible choices … and hopefully eliminated the worst ones … if you let me know the city or zip where you live I’d be happy to let you know of any better options I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Thanks for the information. I live in the zip 07054.

I’m in the same boat! But I’ve been reading Phoenix has said and now I’m hoping to find something just like the Cloud Supreme, but wont cost me 2600! haha

I’m in Canada so prices are a bit higher, but I can have a higher quality tempurpedic replica for about 750 even for a box+mattress set, 6" of 2.8 lbs polyurethane at the bottom (this is murderously hard) and 4" of 5 lbs/ft^3 of memory foam at the top.

Hi ChristinaM,

Some of the better options I’m aware of in the Parsippany area are listed in post #2 here and some of these are also listed with a more complete description in post #7 here.

There are also some good online options listed in post #12 here if you are comfortable going in an online direction and many of these will also be able to tell you which of their models most closely match the feel of various Tempurpedic models and one has a complete line that is designed to match the feel, the design, and the layering of the Tempurpedic lineup.

Regardless of which direction you may choose … I would always start by talking to and visiting some of your more local options that a phone call indicates make or carry a mattress that may be similar to what you are looking for.

Phoenix

Thanks,
Unfortunately I am doing a warranty claim by Sleepys that got approved so now my choices only lie within the beds they carry !

Hi ChristinaM,

It’s fortunate that your warranty claim was approved but not so fortunate that you are limited to the mattresses sold at Sleepy’s.

Post #66 here and a couple of other threads it links to includes some discussions with forum members in similar circumstances (also limited to lower quality/value choices at a chain store) and may be helpful.

One other piece of good news is that Sleepy’s has a good selection of latex, memory foam, and gel memory foam toppers so you can test various mattress/topper combinations in person … assuming they will let you exchange for a mattress topper combination instead of just another mattress … but even if they don’t you can get a good idea of how a particular mattress/topper combination will feel perform and then purchase a similar topper elsewhere for a lower price.

Phoenix