Denver Mattress Co. Breckenridge

First, thank you so much for this great site and forum. I’ve learned more about mattresses in the last three days than in my whole life previously!

I have an aging Serta that is killing my back, and I’m searching for a new mattress and foundation to fit my Queen bed frame. I am on a tight budget, though. As a side sleeper with old neck and back injuries from athletics, I know I need a medium-soft surface with good foundation support, so the Tuft and Needle mattress would be (by all reports) too firm for me.

I’ve narrowed it down to two possibilties: the Breckenridge Latex Eurotop from Denver Mattress Co. and the Casper. The Casper is nearly twice the price that I’ve been able to find the Breckenridge at my local Furnniture Row, and I’d still need to purchase a separate box spring.

I’m able to find a lot of information on the Casper here in the forums, but not much on the Breckenridge Latex Eurotop. The specs on the latter are:

Quilt Layers:
Damask Ticking
1 1/2" of 1.8lb Density Convoluted Foam
1" of 1.8lb EF** Convoluted Foam
Natural Rayon Fire Barrier
Comfort Layers:
2" of 1.8lb Density Convoluted Foam
1/2" of Feather Soft Latex
1 Fiber Pad
Support System:
Coil Density: 726* Zoned Coils (Queen Size)
14.5 Gauge Twice Tempered Steel
Perfect Edge™ Support Technology

Can anyone give me info about longevity of the eurotop padding, possibility of sagging, etc? I would love any input on personal experiences!

Hi katiemac3,

While I don’t have any personal experience with the Breckenridge … I can certainly make some comments about the quality of the materials inside it which would apply to any mattress that used the same materials regardless of the name of the manufacturer.

There is more about the most important parts of the value of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

While only you can decide which mattress is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP based on your own personal testing or sleeping experience … the foam quality guidelines I would suggest using to assess the quality of the materials and the durability of a mattress are in post #4 here.

The Breckenridge uses 1.8 lb polyfoam in the comfort layers which is generally a good quality and durable material so there would be no obvious weak links in the materials if the layers were solid and not convoluted and it certainly uses higher quality materials than most mainstream mattresses in its price range but having said that … all of the polyfoam layers are convoluted which would make them less durable than solid polyfoam layers of the same density so it would be reasonable to expect some degree of impressions over the course of time … especially in a pillowtop or eurotop mattress … and it would be somewhat “on the edge” in terms of durability for those that are in more “average” weight ranges so I would be a little cautious. I would be very cautious if you are in a higher weight range where I would normally suggest higher quality/density and more durable materials in the upper layers of a mattress.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix-

Thanks for your quick reply. I’m a little stuck, because the only mattress retailers near me are big box and department stores, which means I’m relying on memory and other peoples’ reports to determine my own PPP level on these two mattresses! I’m a small person, so I’m not too worried about weight impression over time. I read your whole guide to purchasing before posting, and checked your lists of preferred vendors, as well.

I really liked that the Breckenridge uses the 1.8 polyfoam, but didn’t catch the difference between convoluted and solid. I’m still not sure which way to go, but I may keep looking before making a final decision.

Thanks again!
Katie

Hi katiemac3,

I’m not sure where you live but if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about any of the options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area besides the membership list.

I would be very cautious about using anyone else’s experience on a mattress as a guideline for your own because a mattress that is “perfect” for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on … even if they appear to have a similar body type and sleeping style. If you aren’t confident that a mattress would be a good match for you then there is more about the different ways to choose a mattress and some suggestions that can help minimize the risks involved in each of them in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Hi katiemac3,
You have done great research and it is a valid concern to want to check on other mattresses as it is very confusing. I’ve done the same thing in the past two months because of my Breckenridge Latex Mattress that I’ve only had 4 years has broken down. I am not heavy person and was very upset that I have to do this again. After checking through so many web sights and talking with retailers it had to do with the gage of the steel springs. A sleep number bed would have been preferable but there ratings and customer service are horrible right now. Tempurpedic mattresses are amazing if you can handle not moving at night and the price the are, wow. I finally found an all latex mattress with a memory foam topper. Latex is wonderful. It is a little on the expensive side. It is hard to find in a small town. I had to shop one town over, and wait a week for delivery. Good luck to you I hope you find what you need.

Hi Littleone,

While I certainly appreciate your intent and don’t mind you posting on the forum, it would also be helpful if you could post more accurate and “educational” information that has some facts behind it rather than the type of “broad brush” opinions that are rarely, if ever, accurate, factual, or helpful.

Searching for a mattress is confusing enough without having many people promote their own personal preferences and opinions or “favorites” as applying to others as well and which generally leads to a gibberish “suggesting” different mattresses or materials without any more objective or individualized way to differentiate and choose between them.

Thanks.

Phoenix